Body strikes in a real fight

Even if you miss the balls, if you deliver a decent kick square to the pelvic bone you're going to mess them up from the kinetics alone.

From personal experience I was tussling with a guy and we fell to the ground, he threw his knee up to create space, and I landed on it in a bad way. I literally couldn't use my legs and it was over. My friends dragged me away and let me lie down for about 5 minutes because I couldn't breathe.

From personal experience I was tussling with a guy and we fell to the ground, he threw his knee up to create space, and I landed on it in a bad way. I literally couldn't use my legs and it was over. My friends dragged me away and let me lie down for about 5 minutes because I couldn't breathe.

Did he ever call you again.......

When thinking about how body blows will impact someone outside of groin shots, I think consideration has to be given to size. The more padding (muscle, subcutaneous fat) between your blows, and the organ or bones the more protected they will be from blunt force trauma. Conditioning, and experience on both sides will also be huge in determining how effective the body strike will be.

I was sparring a bunch of buds (nothing out of control, super controlled and light) and I am really trying to work on wearing people down on the feet. Leg kicks, body shots, etc. It just seems like everytime I hit the body it is never felt unless I am hitting straights or uppercuts in the middle to the solar plexus.
All hooks to the body and such everyone said was non-existent. Which is frustrating, because even when going light work I don't like to waste energy. Am I just hitting too much bone? Need to aim further back? I feel the shots peppering in, and I try to stay accurate with where those shots land.
To answer more of the forum itself, I feel like any placed body shot can put people down, street fight damage with no gloves. I couldn't imagine. I've only been hit in the face in street fights, people love to headhunt.

I was sparring a bunch of buds (nothing out of control, super controlled and light) and I am really trying to work on wearing people down on the feet. Leg kicks, body shots, etc. It just seems like everytime I hit the body it is never felt unless I am hitting straights or uppercuts in the middle to the solar plexus.
All hooks to the body and such everyone said was non-existent. Which is frustrating, because even when going light work I don't like to waste energy. Am I just hitting too much bone? Need to aim further back? I feel the shots peppering in, and I try to stay accurate with where those shots land.
To answer more of the forum itself, I feel like any placed body shot can put people down, street fight damage with no gloves. I couldn't imagine. I've only been hit in the face in street fights, people love to headhunt.
The liver is more front than rear. If youre looking from a bird eye's view and with a clock face, the liver is around the 8 o'clock position with 6 facing you

Also I think its cause you're going light, why theyre not feeling it; when you time it well and hit hard enough it'll be felt

The liver is more front than rear. If youre looking from a bird eye's view and with a clock face, the liver is around the 8 o'clock position with 6 facing you

Also I think its cause you're going light, why theyre not feeling it; when you time it well and hit hard enough it'll be felt
I'll just have to go a little harder. I just really try to water down my strikes because it seems like when I do connect people say I hit super hard. Mostly from counters and them walking into it. So I really try not to smack the body too much but I also don't want to be ineffective. I need to get used to positioning those strikes too. I suck at the proper set up. Got caught with a uppercut when getting too close. Damn t rex arms.

I was a hospital renta cop a good while back and we had this guy who showed up at the main entrance and wanted to go to jail. So he decided the best way was to start hitting people. He charged at me when me and the others went over to respond and i did a shifting cross to the solar plexus and it worked. Sucked the air right out of him.

Body shots are better for self defense imo. softer target, no ones expecting it, you dont have to worry about accidentally killing someone in self defense etc,etc

I'll just have to go a little harder. I just really try to water down my strikes because it seems like when I do connect people say I hit super hard. Mostly from counters and them walking into it.
Thats really not on you then, if you're already controlling it well enough and they're getting blasted walking into a straight right there's only so much you can do before you end up sacrificing technique which over the long term will build bad habits

So I really try not to smack the body too much but I also don't want to be ineffective. I need to get used to positioning those strikes too. I suck at the proper set up. Got caught with a uppercut when getting too close. Damn t rex arms.
Sounds like you're reaching, step in deeper. You might also be telegraphing it: could be you're too far out and reaching instead of "shoveling", your rhythm tempo might delay when you go for it, or you may even look down at where you're aiming and they see it. Body shots only work when they respect your strikes and defend upstairs longer than they should.

Maybe try shoveling your punches. Drive from the legs, and dig. When throwing uppercuts to the body I think about trying to drive the ribcage up. Heavy bag work....try a round of hard shots aimed at the body no jabs all power punches. Then when you have the set up, use them in sparring. Don't hunt for power shots but be able to read them when the set up is there. I don't throw hooks to the body. Only uppercuts, and sit down jabs.

Thats really not on you then, if you're already controlling it well enough and they're getting blasted walking into a straight right there's only so much you can do before you end up sacrificing technique which over the long term will build bad habits

Sounds like you're reaching, step in deeper. You might also be telegraphing it: could be you're too far out and reaching instead of "shoveling", your rhythm tempo might delay when you go for it, or you may even look down at where you're aiming and they see it. Body shots only work when they respect your strikes and defend upstairs longer than they should.

Shoveling is something that is overlooked. I personally only throw uppercuts to the body when they're backed against the ropes. I check their levels with my jab. A stiff jab to the body is underrated. Creates distance, and disrupts the breathing rhythm. A good softening blow.

Shoveling is something that is overlooked. I personally only throw uppercuts to the body when they're backed against the ropes. I check their levels with my jab. A stiff jab to the body is underrated. Creates distance, and disrupts the breathing rhythm. A good softening blow.
Jabs to the body are great, recently I've been just messing around and throw supermans to the body, its fun, surprisingly it has a decent effect.

Jabs to the body are great, recently I've been just messing around and throw supermans to the body, its fun, surprisingly it has a decent effect.

Superman's to the body? Your sparring partners must be taller then you.

@j123 That's awesome. How do you superman punch to the body? Is there a particular set up or opening you look for, or do you lead with it? I'm not overly familiar with the superman punch, I train in a western boxing gym (Queensbury rules).

Well some people don't know this but clinching does work in a street fight, especially when your trained in both boxing and muay thai.
Yes I'm absolutely sure. But I was attacked this past weekend by a homeless guy, who clearly had no idea how to fight. Flailing fists and kicks on his part and he was taller. In this case I could of steeped in to some untrained strike just trying to locate that specific part of the body.

Superman's to the body? Your sparring partners must be taller then you.
Most are about the same height, but I did land it on one who's shorter

@j123 That's awesome. How do you superman punch to the body? Is there a particular set up or opening you look for, or do you lead with it? I'm not overly familiar with the superman punch, I train in a western boxing gym (Queensbury rules).
Same setup as I would do if I were to throw a cross to the body. Most of the time its a double or triple up on jabs and when they shell up I do it. Its more of a for fun thing than an actual gameplan

I usually use supermans as a counter or to close distance. Superman -> takedown works very nicely well. In pure striking against high level guys, its not too successful outside of a diversion

Yeah, I land my straight left a lot. I rely heavily on a counter for it. Simply because it seems loads of people like to overextend. It is always an accident, like I said I still feel bad for them getting hit harder than it should land.
I'd say when I spar a lot of people do respect what I throw, I sit hard on some strikes and throw quick and then move. So usually that's why I'm trying to throw lower. I might be telegraphing, I do have short arms. I'm not scared to ever be in range, I can take a shot. I just hate taking them for free.
I LOVE throwing jabs a lot though, so maybe I'll start throwing that out for a surprise.

Yes I'm absolutely sure. But I was attacked this past weekend by a homeless guy, who clearly had no idea how to fight. Flailing fists and kicks on his part and he was taller. In this case I could of steeped in to some untrained strike just trying to locate that specific part of the body.

You know I always hear about homeless people attacking random people, but I never seen it happened. Was their verbal altercation first? Because I feel like most homeless people are too scared to attack anyone unless their bigger.

Back