Bob Dylan has been actively influencing world music for half a century!

Elija Mcwilliams

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Is he not the greatest musician of any era? He is not the best at anything in particular, but as far as a musical entity can you think of anyone more influencial? Hendrix had a long lasting impact but lacked longevity as well as scope. Dylan has Mass appeal, influence, a large body of timeless songs and a goddam nobel prize.
He seems to be in crowd alone.

Definitely up there with Neil Young, Leonard Cohen and Fabrice Morvan.

My favorite of all his albums remains his most distinctive, and his least Dylan-esque: Nashville Skyline.

One of the ultimate 420 songs:

Not even in my top 5 Dylans.. there's only one.

tenor.gif

Seen him live around 20 times. Was there the last time he played with the Grateful Dead (while Jerry Garcia was still alive.)

Bob Dylan, hands down, is the most influential musician in American history.

Seen him live around 20 times. Was there the last time he played with the Grateful Dead (while Jerry Garcia was still alive.)

Bob Dylan, hands down, is the most influential musician in American history.
My friends watched him at Coachella. They said he was so bad this year they wanted their money back. Said he was absurdly hammered. These guys worship him, too.

One of these friends was his assistant for a few years (he now heads entertainment at the Golden One arena). He said Bob is an unmitigated egoist and asshole. But he adores his music.

Mediocre musician, but phenomenal songwriter, and one of the most influential musical acts of the last century. I'd avoid using the term "hands down", in a universe that contains Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Woodie Guthrie, etc.

My brother was a huge fan since before we were teens, and thanks to him my family saw him and Joni Mitchell perform back in 97. It was my first concert and definitely an experience.

The artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince was pretty influential and could play basketball like Michael Jordan while wearing 6" heels.

He is hands down, by far the worst live performance I've ever been to. Completely soulless and cold, didn't even acknowledge that the audience was there. He walked out, played some songs, sung terribly, and left. Didn't introduce a band member, didn't say one single word towards the audience. It was weird as fuck. I acknowledge his contributions to song writing, but he is a terrible performer.

Is he not the greatest musician of any era? He is not the best at anything in particular, but as far as a musical entity can you think of anyone more influencial? Hendrix had a long lasting impact but lacked longevity as well as scope. Dylan has Mass appeal, influence, a large body of timeless songs and a goddam nobel prize.
He seems to be in crowd alone.

Dylan is great.

But, some guy named Paul McCartney is still touring and making music at 75.

My friends watched him at Coachella. They said he was so bad this year they wanted their money back. Said he was absurdly hammered. These guys worship him, too.

One of these friends was his assistant for a few years (he now heads entertainment at the Golden One arena). He said Bob is an unmitigated egoist and asshole. But he adores his music.

Most of this is true. Bob is definitely hit or miss when seeing him live. Half is probably age, the other half is that he doesn't give a f*ck. I've been at some amazing shows. I have also attended some real stinkers.

I have always heard and understood that the dude is kind of a prick. Regardless, the music and lyrics are the songbook of America. You would be surprised how much of his music is used in movies, tv and advertisements. His songs have made so many other musicians rich by covering them.

Anyone, if properly motivated could go through his song book and find at least 10 songs that would illustrate their own struggles and glories in life.

I love Bob Dylan.

Mediocre musician, but phenomenal songwriter, and one of the most influential musical acts of the last century. I'd avoid using the term "hands down", in a universe that contains Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Woodie Guthrie, etc.
True, but who wrote All along the Watchtower? Bob. Jimi was said to always bring his Bob Dylan songbook everywhere and was greatly influenced by him.

True, but who wrote All along the Watchtower? Bob. Jimi was said to always bring his Bob Dylan songbook everywhere and was greatly influenced by him.
Bob influenced Jimi(and many others), but Jimi influenced pretty much anybody who picked up a guitar after him. I'd say its neck and neck.

Probably the best lyricist ever.... I had a friend turn me onto Bob Dylan years ago and it opened up a world for me that I never knew was there. I would put Robert Hunter second in the world to Dylan for lyrics but not too close of a second.

I would put the Grateful Dead in the same kind of category-- having no category at all that is comparable.

Back