Bob Arum 'disgusted' by Thurman-Garcia fight

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Bob Arum talks to Marcos Villegas of FightHub about the Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia title unification this past Saturday. Here's what he had to say about his thoughts on unifying welterweight titles:

"That's totally for boxing schmucks. It means nothing to me. I mean when two guys get in a ring and they have a big audience because it's on network television and they fight, each of them, the most cautious fight I've ever seen - who the hell cares about unification, no unification!

"I mean I go from an era where Hearns and Leonard fought and boy they didn't hold back. They let go, both Tommy and Ray. And that's what fighters owe to the public - not to fight these bullshit cautious fights where nothing happens and their sort of boring. And the worst is it's [huge] platforms. So there were millions of people watching two guys who were more cautious than your neighborhood banker...I just was disgusted."

I didn't watch this fight as I was watching UFC 209 instead, but it looks like I didn't miss anything. Was it really that bad? The Woodley vs Wonderboy fight sucked too, but the prelims and the rest of the main card delivered.

Bob Arum talks to Marcos Villegas of FightHub about the Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia title unification this past Saturday. Here's what he had to say about his thoughts on unifying welterweight titles:

"That's totally for boxing schmucks. It means nothing to me. I mean when two guys get in a ring and they have a big audience because it's on network television and they fight, each of them, the most cautious fight I've ever seen - who the hell cares about unification, no unification!

"I mean I go from an era where Hearns and Leonard fought and boy they didn't hold back. They let go, both Tommy and Ray. And that's what fighters owe to the public - not to fight these bullshit cautious fights where nothing happens and their sort of boring. And the worst is it's [huge] platforms. So there were millions of people watching two guys who were more cautious than your neighborhood banker...I just was disgusted."

I didn't watch this fight as I was watching UFC 209 instead it looks like I didn't miss anything. Was it really that bad? The Woodley vs Wonderboy fight sucked too, but the prelims and the rest of the main card delivered.

Hes mad he had no part of it. Hes become so transparent and insufferable. Keep waiting for the sport to pass him by, but looks like he will hang on with Shakur. Smh

It wasn't a bad fight at all. Both guys fought at their typical pace, but they were evenly matched and neither guy was able to overwhelm the other. That's better than a blowout or watching two low level guys wing punches at each other's; head without any discernible defense IMO, but maybe Arum prefers one of those types of fights.

Bob Arum is the perfect example someone who hates everything about the profession theyre involved in but only do it for the money

I didn't watch this fight as I was watching UFC 209 instead, but it looks like I didn't miss anything. Was it really that bad? The Woodley vs Wonderboy fight sucked too, but the prelims and the rest of the main card delivered.

Not sure what Bob is smoking. Hearns boxed Ray pretty carefully for most of their fight.

While it wasn't a barn burner, I thought it was a decent fight. Of course it could have been Barrera/Morales and Arum would have still shit all over the fight because he wasn't involved.

^yeah given Arum's lack of involvement, you can definitely sense the saltiness. Big picture though it is awesome to see this fight do great ratings

I just dunno if it was a fun intriguing enough fight to where viewers will demand to see a rematch.

I thought it was a great fight.

How can Bob be a Boxing fan and think that fight sucked?

It was the highlight of the night honestly, given how bad the UFC 209 main event was.

I agree with the consensus opinion on this thread: boring ass, dog shit fight between to cautious bankers.

Consign what Sean's said about it being nowhere near exciting as Ray v Hearns.

Bob hates seeing this threat to his old pay per view business model.

Is there a more joyless individual in boxing than Bob Arum?

Arum is a clown

Most high stake fights are fairly cautious affairs, decent fight, Bob is a Dick, has he ever heaped praise on a non-TR event?

I thought Thurman looked great outboxing Garcia. He fought a smart, competent fight against dangerous puncher, that was the right approach. Anyway the fight did great numbers and was for sure better than the UFC 209 main event, that took caution to a whole new level.

Seriously...

"Disgusted"!?

GTFO

Never thought Arum worshipped the Just Bleed gods.
2ia4lea.jpg

Back