Board Games

zuul

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I got my copy of Gloomhaven todaythat I’ve been waiting for this since last summer. I’m super stoked to play it next week with my friends but first I had to unpack the 22 pounds of board game.

All the book looking things in the box are different character classes and miniatures as well as a ton of cards.

YgDJavm.jpg

GCnmUQk.jpg

Half popped

6h8UVO0.jpg

All popped

G0t4XkR.jpg

A little Bourbon for the effort.

WbG35Mh.jpg

I still haven’t unwrapped and set out the 12 decks of cards yet but I’ve got all the pieces popped and I need to head to the store to find some kind if organizer that will keep it in order.

I love this kind of stuff because everyone these days is glued to their phone or computer and board games force you to interact with people.

This is a another board game I got last year called ‘mechs vs minions’. It was incredible and I can’t say enough good things about it.

cJDwXdv.jpg

SwSdLWK.jpg

j6GrvDk.jpg

Wz1R4Xx.jpg

0sW3lot.jpg

True story: I was conceptualizing a board game in my mind before stumbling upon this thread.

The real value of board / card games in the next generation are as minigames in video games (IE: Gwent).

I love board games but damn that looks like too much for me. My girl and I play this a lot. Got it because of a suggestion from a sherdogger
2018-01-19-19-06-29-.jpg

I love board games but damn that looks like too much for me. My girl and I play this a lot. Got it because of a suggestion from a sherdogger
View attachment 327519

I’ve thought about buying that because of recommendations from friends and the fact that it’s fast.

The two games I posted are 2-3 hour commitments and if you fail you have to do it all again. My ten year old loves them though so your daughter may be ok with something like this. They’re complicated but once you get a handle on the rules it’s super fun.

I’ve thought about buying that because of recommendations from friends and the fact that it’s fast.

The two games I posted are 2-3 hour commitments and if you fail you have to do it all again. My ten year old loves them though so your daughter may be ok with something like this. They’re complicated but once you get a handle on the rules it’s super fun.
It's a great game for two people. There are a lot of expansions too if you want to make it more complex.

I'd love to get in to some of the bigger games but I don't really know anyone to play with. I have this

pic3016500-1.jpg

But I can't get anyone to play with me. It's pretty confusing at first so it's not like you can just pick it up quickly

It's a great game for two people. There are a lot of expansions too if you want to make it more complex.

I'd love to get in to some of the bigger games but I don't really know anyone to play with. I have this

View attachment 327533

But I can't get anyone to play with me. It's pretty confusing at first so it's not like you can just pick it up quickly

I’ve heard great things about that game and I saw it at the store I went to today to get Gloomhaven.

You need to look into online players to play with you. There’s large communities of people who play on twitch and other sites. You can play with friends in other countries or people you meet online. Google that shit bro, you’ll find some players.

Some that I have that I think are really good.

Glux - simple abstract game. Pretty deep

Santorini - simple abstract game. With the gods, it gets really interesting.

Modern Art - old game that has a lot of depth. I was surprised my dad and brother thought highly of this game considering you usually have to play it awhile to understand how to manipulate the market. I watched a netflix doc on modern art, the game is sadly very close to how painting are arbitrarily valued.

Lost Cities - best simple couples game

Love Letters - simple card game over drinks.

Burke's Gambit - A better version of Secret Hitler with dice if you can get enough people so it is balanced

Power Grid - fun but a lot of book keeping and the rule book is terrible. Download rules from boardgame geek instead

Blokus and Blokus 3d - two fun quick abstract games

I’m happy there’s some other people on here that enjoy this stuff. I grew up with dnd, shadowrun, rifts, risk and all sorts of other games. Growing up now there Is so much media and so many simplistic games to consume that using your imagination to entertain yourself has almost become a rarity.

I’m happy there’s some other people on here that enjoy this stuff. I grew up with dnd, shadowrun, rifts, risk and all sorts of other games. Growing up now there Is so much media and so many simplistic games to consume that using your imagination to entertain yourself has almost become a rarity.

I play games board games online sometimes. My favorites tend to be simple games that have a lot of depth. I wish most people would move past Settlers of Catan. It isn't a bad game and it was good for what it was, a simple family game but there are more games now that do what it did but are better.

The only thing that I don't like about a lot of the recent new games is that they often are overly complicated. Knizia during his heyday did an awesome job at keeping things simple and offering depth. I have some stuff that I have purchased that I haven't brought out yet because I hate having to play a dry run to figure out the rules of the game.

I play games board games online sometimes. My favorites tend to be simple games that have a lot of depth. I wish most people would move past Settlers of Catan. It isn't a bad game and it was good for what it was, a simple family game but there are more games now that do what it did but are better.

The only thing that I don't like about a lot of the recent new games is that they often are overly complicated. Knizia during his heyday did an awesome job at keeping things simple and offering depth. I have some stuff that I have purchased that I haven't brought out yet because I hate having to play a dry run to figure out the rules of the game.

I understand what you’re saying, complexity for no reason is a let down. Look at something like kingdom death, sure there’s an audience but why the fuck does a game need to be that obtuse to play?

I realize I brought this up in the second post but as I said before this game is killer. Have you trued mechs vs Minions? It’s 75 bucks USD from riot (shipping included) and it’s a shit ton of fun. It’s complicated at the start but it’s basically a co-operative programming game. And as a bonus you get aiver a hundred cool miniatures to play with. It’s 17 pounds of awesomeness. Disclaimer, I don’t work for riot I just had a great time playing with multiple people and love the game.

https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/other/board-games/mechs-vs-minions-wave-2.html

board games are bored games. play advanced dungeons and dragons 5fth edition. ill dm.

That board game looks amazing. There is nothing like holding real board game pieces in your hand. That is one of the reasons I fell in love with chess. Specially the wood pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back