BMW drive hits 100mph, claims gas pedal stuck

Yes, they specifically held the gas to the floor for the tests. It took something like 900ft to stop the Roush Mustang. A lot of the other cars stopped not much farther than their normal stopping distance from the speed tested. I believe the test speed was 70mph, but they did perform the test speeds even higher than that on some cars w/ similar results, just longer stopping distances.

I assume all manufacturers have something in the program to reduce engine power under braking no matter what the position the accelerator is held in. If that system failed, a vehicle might be able to overpower the brakes. I would hope the manufacturers design the brakes to have more power than the engine. There are brakes on all 4 wheels but most vehicles drive on 2 wheels so the non driven wheels should lock up and wear through the tires. Antilock brakes might prevent one wheel from turning slower than the others.

Pulling the emergency brake at 100 mph doesn’t seem like a smart move.

I think people here are not taking into account that your brain doesn't act rationally or normally when he think you are about to die. I don't think he did all the things we claimed he did but I would find it very believable that he went into a full on panic and his brain locked up. Being stuck in a car going 100 mph is like sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Here in Lithuania a "BMW driver" is becoming a popular joke/insult

It's like every week there is a story about some idiot driving into the bus stop with his BMW. 9/10 times someone rams their car into a bus stop its a BMW.
file52024173_6e3e2287.jpg

vilniuje-bmw-ileke-i-viesojo-transporto-stotele-69311140.jpg

ivykio-vietoje-562d33236cc9c.jpg
Ah but the joke is on Lithuania for being Lithuania

Here in Lithuania a "BMW driver" is becoming a popular joke/insult

It's like every week there is a story about some idiot driving into the bus stop with his BMW. 9/10 times someone rams their car into a bus stop its a BMW.
file52024173_6e3e2287.jpg

vilniuje-bmw-ileke-i-viesojo-transporto-stotele-69311140.jpg

ivykio-vietoje-562d33236cc9c.jpg

America has the ford Mustang.

Back