BMW drive hits 100mph, claims gas pedal stuck

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
So the driver of a 2003 BMW X5 claimed to police his gas pedal was stuck . He called the 911 dispatch and warned them about this. Dispatch asked him to shift into neutral, which he said he tried but it didn't work.

Now here's the suspicious action from him: when police threw down spiked strips to stop the car, the guy avoided them.

Why wouldn't he just hit the brake? Or turn the ignition off ? Or pull the parking brake?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gas-pedal-stuck-man-tells-911-barrels-interstate/story?id=53044686

I saw enough movies to hit them spikes. Cars flip over and roll then explode. Nah.

Panicked. Mind freezes up; simple tasks become complicated.

We bmw drivers do what we want

So many things have to go wrong. As stated in the article, it is an electronic throttle.
"All BMW vehicles, including the 2003 X5 described in this incident, employ an electronic accelerator pedal which uses software logic to override the accelerator whenever the brake pedal is pressed while driving. This fail-safe software means that if the vehicle detects that both pedals are depressed, the on-board electronics will reduce engine power so that the driver may stop safely.

I don't know how it's set up but I expect it would close the throttle body which is operated electronically and I suppose it could fail but it should fail closed. It could also cut the fuel the the injectors. Why he couldn't turn the key off is what puzzles me. Maybe they need to put emergency stop buttons in cars.

mono16428204-150410-02.jpg

Panicked. Mind freezes up; simple tasks become complicated.

BMW owners aren't very smart because they pay twice as much for a car that isn't better than other cars.

I had a car that the pedal would stick sometimes and I never had an issue shifting to neutral and clearing the pedal by stomping down on it.

because turning the car off while driving, will kill the car.

He should have eased it up against a guardrail to negate the high speed.

My gas pedal got stuck on I95 (freeway). Scary as fuck.

So the driver of a 2003 BMW X5 claimed to police his gas pedal was stuck . He called the 911 dispatch and warned them about this. Dispatch asked him to shift into neutral, which he said he tried but it didn't work.

Now here's the suspicious action from him: when police threw down spiked strips to stop the car, the guy avoided them.

Why wouldn't he just hit the brake? Or turn the ignition off ? Or pull the parking brake?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gas-pedal-stuck-man-tells-911-barrels-interstate/story?id=53044686

So, as I replied some posts ago this happened to me on a freeway. I initially just panicked and slammed on the brake. That slowed me down to about 50 mph. Then I put on the emergency brake which got me down to 40 mph. That's as I slow as I got. I then got to the shoulder and after about probably about a minute and a half of thinking and my leg getting sore from stomping down as hard as I could, I just turned off the car. That, of course, did it. I should have put it in neutral first though.

Anyhow, no joke... there was flames shooting out my wheels because the brake pads were on fire.

Back when i was 15yo the handle of the accelerator of my scooter stucked on full, had to do meters like that

e264f0e9a5187d63f13e75031a23c7fa--cowgirls-wrestling.jpg

at full speed to bring it to the ground and remove the keys LOL

because turning the car off while driving, will kill the car.

What do you mean kill? It will stop the engine from running but it won't damage anything. In the days of carburetors, turning the key off only shut down the ignition system so as long as the engine was turning fuel would keep being drawn in but no spark to ignite it. Turning the key off and back on could ignite the fuel in the exhaust system and possibly blow the muffler open. Electronic fuel injection cured that so when the power shuts off the injector stops injecting fuel.

What do you mean kill? It will stop the engine from running but it won't damage anything. In the days of carburetors, turning the key off only shut down the ignition system so as long as the engine was turning fuel would keep being drawn in but no spark to ignite it. Turning the key off and back on could ignite the fuel in the exhaust system and possibly blow the muffler open. Electronic fuel injection cured that so when the power shuts off the injector stops injecting fuel.

No, turning the key off while driving in highway gears, will kill the transmission that's what i meant.

Back when i was 15yo the handle of the accelerator of my scooter stucked on full, had to do meters like that

e264f0e9a5187d63f13e75031a23c7fa--cowgirls-wrestling.jpg

at full speed to bring it to the ground and remove the keys LOL

I put a go kart through the front window of a post office because of a stuck throttle. I was at a friends house, we were probably 12, and working on our karts. My buddy sprayed both of our throttle cables with carb cleaner instead of WD40.
I started mine up and it took off. It made it half a block, hit the curb, and got enough air to go through the window.

Back