Blood work - Does it tell the whole story? (TRT, PEDs, diet...)

Saint Of The K

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
After reading a lot of threads lately discussing TRT, SARMs, etc. where people are talking about getting their blood work done, I was wondering why it is the go-to method to mesure whether you're healthy or not.

So whatever you pump into your body, through diet or injections/pills, only looking at your blood composition (and how it evolves over time) or some specific markers is enough to say that you're not abusing drugs, that your organs are not at risk, etc. etc. ?

All the valuable info can be retrieved through this blood analysis?
There is no risk of all your values being in the clear, while some problem is actually being created somewhere in your body that you're not seeing on the report?

Thanks for helping me understand why it would so!

Of course it isn't the whole story. It seems to be standby crutch for the TRT grew, "My doctor did blood work and it's all good".

I doubt most ''blood work' even includes measuring C-reactive protein. Probably limited to looking at liver enzymes,WBC count and measuring testosterone.

Cholesterol and liver values would be pretty important and valuable. That combined with blood pressure is a very good way to see how your body is reacting. Is it totally complete? No. But is about as close as it gets medically.

Look at any medical diagnoses. Its typically tests and checking for symptoms.

After reading a lot of threads lately discussing TRT, SARMs, etc. where people are talking about getting their blood work done, I was wondering why it is the go-to method to mesure whether you're healthy or not.

So whatever you pump into your body, through diet or injections/pills, only looking at your blood composition (and how it evolves over time) or some specific markers is enough to say that you're not abusing drugs, that your organs are not at risk, etc. etc. ?

All the valuable info can be retrieved through this blood analysis?
There is no risk of all your values being in the clear, while some problem is actually being created somewhere in your body that you're not seeing on the report?

Thanks for helping me understand why it would so!

No, blood work is not going to give you the whole picture but if your continuously getting a reading on say your liver......then it's a good indication that you might well have an issue with your liver.

The appearance of being "healthy" is just that and the body does a great job of carrying on to appear that way, even when it's just about to fail.

I knew a guy that was training alot and working hard, one day in sparing he received a kick to the chest, not overly hard but he ended up in hospital, his lung had collapsed it had collapsed because he had been walking around, appearing healthy with a bad pneumonia infection, this would have shown up in his blood work if he had it done.

Blood work can give an early indication of things going wrong, long before it becomes apparent.

Of course it isn't the whole story. It seems to be standby crutch for the TRT grew, "My doctor did blood work and it's all good".

I doubt most ''blood work' even includes measuring C-reactive protein. Probably limited to looking at liver enzymes,WBC count and measuring testosterone.

What do you think would be a few crucial things to ask the doctor to check when drawing blood in order to determine your current state of health?

What do you think would be a few crucial things to ask the doctor to check when drawing blood in order to determine your current state of health?

In addition to ALT and AST?

- HbA1c
- cholesterol
- CKs and CCKs
- C-reactive protein
- PSA (apparently if you think you might have prostate issues you should avoid TRT).

Back