Blocking a punch.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
following on from my post about unsound defence, i though that i would make a post about the simple block. it seems that blocking is a little misunderstood. simply having your hand up on that side of the head isn't sufficient to block a punch. correct blocking starts at the same place a punch does, at the feet. if i what to block a right hand to the head the first thing i do is take a small step (or weight shift) back and to the right. the shift of weight is crucial as it takes you off the line of the punch and also buys you more time to actually block the punch. posture is also vitally important, there is no point even trying to block if your chin is hanging in the breeze. the actual blocking arm has to cover the area the punch is targeted at. (THERE IS NO ONE GUARD, THAT BLOCKS ALL). sometimes i find it helps to create a little bit of a angle, that can help too deflect heavy punches. be careful not to over block or it leaves your body wide open. correct blocking also loads your punches up. blocking a right loads your own right counter, block the left hook and it loads your own left.

I often tell my students that time and space are the same thing. If you create a little space, you create more time (to act or react). Conversely, if you can take away their space you take away their time (to act or react).

I often tell my students that time and space are the same thing. If you create a little space, you create more time (to act or react). Conversely, if you can take away their space you take away their time (to act or react).
it always impresses me when you see a fighter with good defence inside. i really like the way cyclone mike fights, he seems like a real throw back to the old days.

Do you have some technical drilling clips to recommend?

I was a TKD guy for way to long and only a few years kickboxing, but I still train shadow fundamentals and am always looking for drills and tactics.

That's why the peekaboo style is not advicable IMO. It robs you of time both defensively and offensively against a dynamic swarmer, compared to if you had your hands out more.

Back