Blizzard goes full cash grab with Overwatch League on Twitch

KaNesDeath

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Link

Ive yet to see any esport production company produce content worthy of a separate fee. Whats even stranger is that this is happening in their inaugural season and will require a repurchase for every season.

The concept of watching other people stream video games sounds retarded enough without having to pay for it. The only exception to that imo is maybe speed runs or achievement runs like what we get from our own @FPS Shooter from his One Credit Classics YouTube channel.

Wow. A bit early for that, indeed. This isn't the NBA or NFL negotiating a cable contract. This industry is still in the natal stages.

I have a feeling the eSport community may react to this the way dungeon scroller gamers ultimately reacted to Diablo III-- minus the record opening sales.

I've gotten pretty attached to NYXL, but other than that I've really had trouble getting into it. I'm not someone who can watch someone play games when I could be playing them, not that I'm judging people who do. The whole OWL rollout has felt a little forced, and this is a real cementing of the negative feeling I always carry for Blizzard. Get a mass audience for your content, then drop this for those that really crave it, it makes it look like you're responding to a need. Not to mention the OWL rules and conditions for the players....
https://rlewisreports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/OWLRulebook.pdf

Shit is crazy. Fuck Blizzard.

Wouldn't it be nice if game developers stopped pumping consumers for these small fees for rudimentary services, and went back to actually developing games and selling them?

It's been 15 years since Warcraft 3, and fans have been clamouring for a proper RTS sequel for too damn long.

Blizzard's response - 'Meh... lets hold off on Warcraft 4 for another decade. We're making PLENTY of money through charging our fanbase to watch the games they already own being played by other people.'

OW lol garbage. Says alot about anybody that would be willing to pay to watch it too.

Watching somebody play a game is the definition of madness IMO. There's not the sort of barrier to entry as there are in REAL life sports. I also get pissed off at watching people play through a level in walkthroughs. Just write it down.

I banned my kid from watching other people play games. Especially since the dudes playing are mostly arrogant potty-mouthed millenials.

But then again to each his own.

Last edited:
Don_Lapre-300x227.jpg

Watching somebody play a game is the definition of madness IMO. There's not the sort of barrier to entry as there in REAL life sports. I also get pissed off at watching people play through a level in walkthroughs. Just write it down.

I banned my kid from watching other people play games. Especially since the dudes playing are mostly arrogant potty-mouthed millenials.

But then again to each his own.
ur kid finna b picked on breh get wit da times

blizzard is a lowly indie dev pls buy lootboxes and badges on twitch so we can have 60 tick servers ty

Link

Ive yet to see any esport production company produce content worthy of a separate fee. Whats even stranger is that this is happening in their inaugural season and will require a repurchase for every season.

It's optional for die-hard fans. It's the equivalent of paying for back-stage passes. You don't have to pay anything to watch the matches.

It's optional for die-hard fans. It's the equivalent of paying for back-stage passes. You don't have to pay anything to watch the matches.
If that’s the case, I see no problem with what they’re doing.
I’m assuming they’ll be offering a free trial right away.

What, are they charging people to watch their pro tourneys? Valve has been doing that for years.

Can you still watch in full hd without buying the pass? Even so this is a strange move. Blizzard have previous on damaging esports with shitty decisions.

I'll play Devil's advocate and say this isn't egregious. Early access to in game skins, sprays, player icons. Some Twitch emotes and badges. Additional OWL content. Diehard fans can justify the purchase.

My only beef is with this:

catch all the angles with “Command Center,” a unique multiview stream

Trying to watch OW is a pain in the ass as the camera is all over the place and this functionality, I think, should be afforded to everyone.

Can you still watch in full hd without buying the pass?

Yes. Though the additional content and information previously given to the esport viewer for free is now behind a paywall.

Twitch in 2016(?) embedded commercials in the player so that certain addons for web browsers couldnt block them anymore. How Blizzard handles these advertisements during non-live gameplay will be interesting.

Valve has been doing that for years.

I can say with 100% certainty that this is false in CSGO broadcasting when it comes to Valve Majors and third party event organizer events.

Back