Blizzard Announces Starcraft: Remastered

I never understood why starcraft took off but the much better RTS of the time "Dark Colony" didn't.

Total Annihilation came out around the same time as well, that game was awesome.

From reading the replies on this thread it seems like Blizzard are continuing their tradition of fucking up shit that did not need to be fucked up.
Blizzard was only good when Blizzard North was around.

I played the shit outta Starcraft growing up.

Don't get the remaster tho isnt that like saying the second one sucks so we are rereleasing the first one?

Never played the second one so wouldnt know.

StarCraft 2 is amazing, you should definitely play it.

Wish they would do the same with the first couple of Warcraft games. It's a whole song and dance trying to run one of those on Windows 10.

Same here. I beat all of the originals WC1-2 way back in the day. There's a few online browser emulators that will run it, but I'm not sure if it's legal or not since it's considered abandonware.

I never understood why starcraft took off but the much better RTS of the time "Dark Colony" didn't.

I suspect it was because Blizzard's past releases included Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and Diablo, which were all highly regarded. Compared to GameTek which released Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Double Dare, and... wait for it.... Jimmy Johnson's VR Football 98. During that era there was an RTS gold rush and every game studio was pumping out RTS games hoping to get a huge hit. There were so many of them that it was tough to get traction unless it was coming from a big studio with alot of marketing. TA, C&C, AOE, SC, WC were the big names from what I recall.

Last edited:
Never played the second one so wouldnt know

Check out Blizzard Battlenet - sometimes they have the SC2 BattleChest on sale for $30.

All three Terran, Zerg, and Protoss campaigns included - 60 missions total. That's a hell of a deal, and now since they're all released you don't have to wait 2-3 years to find out what happens next in the story.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/starcraft-ii-complete-collection

Currently $40, but even then it's a damn good deal.

I was in high school when StarCraft was big. It was my "hayday" with regards to competitive gaming so I'll definitely play it for the nostalgia factor.

Plus the game is a true classic. Most balanced and fun RTS game ever.

It is strange that they decided to keep the 12 unit thing. But I mean, that's vintage StarCraft... I can't really blame them for trying to preserve the experience.

On a semi-related note...I recently learned that this game was originally supposed to be based on Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k universe, but somewhere along the development process, they didn't like it and backed out. I find it hilariously ironic because as much as I like Warhammer 40k, every game they've ever been a part of has largely sucked ass. This would have been basically their only good one and it turned out to be a classic.

*Sigh* Really?

Only fans that prefer SC1 to SC2 are hipster purists.

SC2 is better in every aspect.

name 1 aspect, technology improvements aside (ie: graphics)

edit: although, ironically... for the time, the graphics of sc2 were/are quite subpar, anyway.

Last edited:
To the people unhappy that they're not changing the game enough, this isn't for us. It's for the Koreans. They even made the announcement in Korea, with four of the great legends of Broodwar on stage. They want the exact same game, that runs at modern resolutions on modern PCs, with a modern matchmaking system.

The 12 unit groups thing is part of what they want, they want the 'hardest competitive game ever made™'. Also the only way the game is balanced is with all the limitations like that, they would have to completely rebalance the game or Zerg would be insanely OP.

This is a remake for the purists, they're even leaving in the derpy pathfinding. I think there's one gameplay bug they're removing, all the others are now considered 'features' and the fans would be pissed if they were removed.

Last edited:
Then you're a fool. Best single player campaign in an RTS ever.

wow. where to begin...

1. lolwut? who plays multiplayer rts games for the campaign? seriously? SERIOUSLY? your opinion is already self-trashed.
2. (campaign-wise, since that's your inexplicable focus) i only played the first one (wings of liberty). it sucked. and it was short. it seemed to be about 1/3 the length of starcraft 1 - for the same price. additionally, the plot was garbage and the gameplay was dumbed down massively. i think a monkey could have beaten it with ease. there was no way i was going to fork over more money for the next 2 parts.

the campaigns of sc1 (and brood war) provided WAY more content. and it was more challenging. and it actually had a plot, too.

as for the multiplayer, it was trash. more imbalanced than pre-patch sc1, with cartoony graphics that seemed to need to hit a pastel quota. and they limited the hell out of the available units for no apparent reason, which only made the campaign (with way more unit types) even more insulting. it's shit. brood war > sc2. vanilla sc1 > sc2.

and it's funny to see so many posts bitching about a limit of 12 for selecting. as if it's so difficult to select 12 and hit ctrl+1, then another 12 and ctrl+2. or just select and send...

Playing online or solo? What are you building? I would play the shit out of a D2 remake. My two favorite builds were a full Tals fire Sorc, and a full blown Auradin. The Auradin was crazy expensive, but shit just died while I ran around.
Solo. I haven't even maxed this toon. I was building stats towards being an Energy Shield Sorceress, but as I leveled that build didn't make sense, so I just put a point in each Frost Armor skill as the more powerful one becomes available, and everything else is going into Fireball with Fire Bolt buffing it. It's just a one hit kill-stomp, and if mana gets low I just switch to Fire Bolt for a little while. I employ a spear monkey to soak up dps.

wow. where to begin...

1. lolwut? who plays multiplayer rts games for the campaign? seriously? SERIOUSLY? your opinion is already self-trashed.

I didn't even read past here, garbage post discarded.

Starcraft and starcraft 2 are the best rts games ever made. Its a shame nobody plays rts anymore because its so fun

Back