Blast from the past: Max Payne

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Panmisiek, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ThulsaDooom

ThulsaDooom Brown Belt

Max Payne 3 is one of those sequels where people make shit up to criticize the game because waaah it's not the original studio, even though Rockstar and Take 2 had been involved with both previous MP games. No atmosphere or horror? Please. It's a fucking Rockstar game and they do atmosphere better than anyone else.

Pre-release was the worst because people wrongfully equate noir to black and disregard all the noir movies and tales that take place in sunny, bright locations.

2. method115

method115 Steel Belt

Only thing I didn't like was that we couldn't understand the brazilians talking during the shoot outs. Some of the best moments in payne were listening to them talk shit to you or on the other side of a door before you busted in.

3. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Gold Belt

After your first playthrough you can have subtitles on. I think you learn a lot more about the story if I remember correctly

4. method115

method115 Steel Belt

Oh wow I didn't know that. I'd rather have the audio but that's not bad either.

5. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

The best thing in MP 3 were the flashback Jersey chapters. Max in Brazil was a weak move, didn't suit the series.

6. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

Try the Kung-Fu Max Payne mod..

It's amazing.

7. paperclip101

paperclip101 White Belt

I loved the first game, loved the dialogue
    "I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."
    "They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger."
    The part where you had to follow a blood trail and the baby was crying the whole time gave me nightmares

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  8. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

I never played Max Payne 3 but I loved Max Payne 2

9. neverwas

neverwas bondage belt

It's a rockstar game,therefore crap.

10. Senkoy

Senkoy Purple Belt

Why? Because they're popular? Pathetic hipster.

11. neverwas

neverwas bondage belt

No,because they're shit. I don't have 1 rockstar game in my collections,and I'm a bit old to be called a hipster.

Panmisiek likes this.
  12. 90 50

90 50 Red Belt

For reference what are your favorite games?

They are hugely popular so just saying they are “shit” is hard to judge without knowing what else you play?

What are you comparing them against?

MidgardSerpent and MiroHa like this.
  13. MiroHa

MiroHa Red Belt

Yeah, you're a hipster. It's one thing to not like the style of their games if you're mostly into JRPG, grand strategy, driving simulators or some other totally different genre but they are arguably the most consistent big studio as far as the quality of their games go.

They are one of the few developers whose games I dare to pre-order.

MidgardSerpent and 90 50 like this.
  14. neverwas

neverwas bondage belt

don't really have favourites,i enjoyed horizon,zero dawn, alien isolation and a lot of first person shooters.used to play a lot of driving games, but had to stop for the sake of my blood pressure.
    good for you, i bet you are the sort that thought the darkness was a great game when it came out.

15. MidgardSerpent

MidgardSerpent Brown Belt

If those are acceptable games to you, then I'm not seeing a particularly strong argument on why Rock star games would be 'shit tier' compared to those examples. I don't like driving games, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to call all of them worthless because of a particular preference of mine.

MiroHa likes this.
  16. MiroHa

MiroHa Red Belt

Never played it so can't say.

17. treelo

treelo Black Belt

ignoring neverwas amazingly stupid comments and stupid bias, almostr to the level of "i hate EA just because"

i played the first Max Payne when it was very first released and absolutely loved it, although i did get completely stuck at the very end of the game and had to read a guide on to beat the end game(looking back now...wow...kind of stupid, but i bet i used to skip the cutscenes and didnt have a clue whaty i was told).

I played MP3 a while ago, and it didnt ignite the same sort of gaming emotions, so i decided to uninstall it and keep the great memories i had with the first game.

I feel the same sort of nostalgia with a lot of those old school games i played when i first started PC gaming though, i didnt like the sequels to Hitman or Mafia either

MiroHa and paperclip101 like this.
  18. 90 50

90 50 Red Belt

Thats usually the way it goes but not always.

Sometimes it is reversed though and the games get better as the series goes on.

For instance
    Jedi Knight< Jedi Outcast<Jedi Acadamy.

IMO anyway.

I fell like Jedi Knight had the best lightsaber fighting of all of the SW games ever, from a certain point of view

You could decide what styles of lightsaber combat you wanted to learn and strengthen with your character. If you advanced enough you could have more than one style, and switch between them in combat.

I used this often when fighting harder enimies, switch mid fight and it throws them off

19. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Could you at least elaborate on why you think Rockstar's entire game library sucks? With the examples of games you like, the grudge against Rockstar doesn't really add up. I could see it, if your favorite games were something like RTS, and RPG games, but you obviously like a lot of games that aren't all that dissimilar to what Rockstar does.

20. neverwas

neverwas bondage belt

i've always found them boring. didn't realise it till i tried to play a max pain game again, that it was rockstar that made it. looked at all the games i didn't like, and it was rockstar games.