BLADE RUNNER 2049 v.2 ($31.5 Million Opening Weekend; Dragonlord's Review) | Page 49

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 15, 2014.

?

If you have seen BLADE RUNNER 2049, how would you rate it?

1. 10 - Excellent

24.6%
  2. 9 - Great

36.6%
  3. 8 - Good

21.1%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

9.2%
  5. 6 - Decent

4.9%
  6. 5 - Average

0.7%
  7. 4 - Poor

2.1%
  8. 3 - Bad

0.7%
  9. 2 - Terribad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Abysmal (Explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xenomorph4prez “Fate shuffles the cards and we play.”

xenomorph4prez
    I get what you are saying and agree but I think it may be a chicken or the egg scenario.

Were the advanced age replicants written into the script organically or were they there to lend credence to the theory that Deckard is a replicant despite the fact that Harrison Ford has aged?

2. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    I'm not much for the resistance either. When you talk about the romantic angle, you're talking about the Joi moments?

Radiation levels were marked NOMINAL, and I'm not sure what that means really. But I took it to mean safe when K ventured into it. This film does not confirm in any way the nature of Deckard. Wallace talks his way right to the brink of it but he's bluffing the entire time. The sequel can't commit one way or the other without retroactively affecting the original.

It's a vestige of the theatrical cut in which the Nexus-7 lifespan is revealed to be open-ended. The theatrical cut is still respected since we're dealing with Nexus-8s in the sequel, and Nexus-6s in the original.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. xenomorph4prez “Fate shuffles the cards and we play.”

xenomorph4prez
    The more I think about it I believe a case can be made for whether he is or isn't from clues in 2049 but I get why they wouldn't want to boldly commit to either and as you said affect the original.

Anung Un Rama likes this.
  4. mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

mushishi
    6. Dragged on. Hated the 80s futuristic sound effects. Better than kingsman and American made

5. Cubo de Sangre Gold Belt

Cubo de Sangre

Yes. Actress was super hot and I enjoyed looking at her, but I don't think her character added anything to the story. Could have saved us all 20 minutes or so.

6. Secret Agent TONY CRACKULA

Secret Agent
    I like the idea there's pre-production footage of Ana de Armas in a hot pink wig slinking around the floor. I also think there was a ponytail cheerleader version shaking her booty, too.

Aside, there's a radio station that has gotten around FCC regulations and refers to masturbation as "JO-ing." So when Joi kept insisting on "JOE! JOE!" I couldn't help but snicker a little, especially considering what she is. Like, "That's your solution for everything!!"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  7. Lethal_Striker Silver Belt

Lethal_Striker
    If McG isn't available you should call Brett Ratner and offer it to him.

shadow_priest_x likes this.
  8. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    We kid, but in the interest of fairness both filmmakers have made movies I like.

McG: Charlie's Angels, We Are Marshall, 3 Days to Kill (kinda)

Ratner: Rush Hour, The Family Man, Red Dragon, Hercules (kinda)

9. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    I found her character and the questions her story provoked to be interesting and even touching, as well as something that added value to Ryan Gosling's arc.

ThulsaDooom, Ablis89, isor and 4 others like this.
  10. Cubo de Sangre Gold Belt

Cubo de Sangre

Cool. To me the quest of replicants to achieve humanity and equality was enough. No need to have some hologram doing the same. Just makes it all seem more ridiculous.

11. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    I thought her demise and then K interacting with the advertisement after emphasized how dispirited and purposeless he could have chosen to be when he learned he wasn't Deckard's son.

ThulsaDooom and josh345 like this.
  12. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot
    Eh. I definitely prefer the final cut ending.

ssBaldy and shadow_priest_x like this.
  13. Katsumi Yamada blood belt

Katsumi Yamada
    That's what I understand from these movies too. Replicants are genetically engineered humans.

Which is why the discussion about the nature of Deckard is kinda missing the point...or rather it's a pointless discussion.

But if this is true it begs the question:
    Why is Wallace having so much trouble making them fertile?

Amerikuracana likes this.
  14. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    I don't think I've ever seen even a single person say they prefer the theatrical ending.

15. josh345 Green Belt

josh345
    The music in this movie was really intense and added a kick to a lot of scenes. Like when K finds the horse, or that underwater struggle near the end where K is drowning Luv....Man that was intense. Seeing this in the theater was freaking awesome with the sound design and visual effects. I'm going with a 9 out of 10. The story was really satisfying. Loved K and Harrison fords scenes together. The relationship between K and Joi was very interesting too and kind of sticks with you

ThulsaDooom, Reyesnuthugr and ssBaldy like this.
  16. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    After one viewing I certainly found it interesting but also I was kind of left thinking that more could have been done with it, the similarities to Her for example that obviously did that were pretty obvious. The typical "fade to black" inferred sex scene to me felt very out of place, I mean you don't especially have to show anything that graphic but it felt like a lot of buildup that didn't really lead to much dramatically.

17. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    That's not typical at all, at least these days. I was actually impressed that Villeneuve didn't feel like the need to make it graphic to let us know that the sex went down.

Pwent likes this.
  18. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Its still typical for mainstream Hollywood and this stood out as a really obvious example of it damaging a film dramatically to me. Again I don't think it automatically needed to be graphic(although it had actually set this up as something that could be visually interesting rather than just titillating) but this seemed like the obvious point to bring a bit more depth to the relationship but instead it stayed at the same kind of level they were at.

In the original of course the cutaway works perfectly fine because that's a natural climax to a romance that does have more depth to it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  19. Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom

Anung Un Rama
    The voiceover is all over that movie and its terrible.

Substance Abuse likes this.
  20. Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom

Anung Un Rama
    Joi is just a program. She is nothing like K, or Rachel, or Samantha from Her. She is just a fluffer and offers very superficial companionship.
    This was made pretty clear a couple of times. The first time was when the hooker Replicant told her she knew how shallow her OS was.
    The second time was when you see the 3D signs using the same model as Joi with the slogan "anything you want to hear".
    [​IMG]

Joi dying was no more tragic than your PS2 dying. There was no real romance, no real loss. Realizing that was also what helped K decide to go the other way on the cults request that he kill Deckard (I think; have to pay closer attention to that on the second viewing).

ThulsaDooom and Cubo de Sangre like this.