Black people listen to Metallica's "One" for the very first time...

Im hearing this song for the first time right now in this thread.
Grew up in the same time period as you.

driving around in my parents car it was either Motown, RnB, or church music. Where would you hear something like Metallica when what you know of music is only that?
A lot of rap and pop makes it to the mainstream in the form of movies, commercials, or you just hear them at parties, clubs, or even in stores...so you could hear those kinds of songs without being a fan of the genre.
How often do you hear metal? I do know some Metallica songs, but this one isn't widely known to casuals, imo

You should've watched Beavis & Butthead fam

Im hearing this song for the first time right now in this thread.
Grew up in the same time period as you.

driving around in my parents car it was either Motown, RnB, or church music. Where would you hear something like Metallica when what you know of music is only that?
A lot of rap and pop makes it to the mainstream in the form of movies, commercials, or you just hear them at parties, clubs, or even in stores...so you could hear those kinds of songs without being a fan of the genre.
How often do you hear metal? I do know some Metallica songs, but this one isn't widely known to casuals, imo

I'm probably the same age as you. My parents only listened to 50's and 60's music.

But, I had a stereo and a radio in my bedroom. I also watched MTV. You had none of these things?

That was great! Never seen these guys before. Thanks for posting!

lost in vegas is great.
those 2 guys are definitely metal heads.

slayer was a bridge too far for them to cross though. hopefully they'll give slayer another shot.

I'm probably the same age as you. My parents only listened to 50's and 60's music.

But, I had a stereo and a radio in my bedroom. I also watched MTV. You had none of these things?
Well, as I said, hip hop, pop, and even some RnB are more likely to make it's way into mainstream pop culture than metal and heavy rock.
Who doesn't know Eminem? Songs from Dr. DRE, Snoop, 2Pac, Biggie, Drake, Lil John, random shit from less popular guys like Flo Rida or the Black eyed Peas? You hear their music in commercials, adverts, movies, tv shows, in the mall, at parties, etc. I never hear Metallica or any other hard rock but in random places like here, or if i have a friend that's into the music.
You have to do a lot more active seeking to get into the music because it isn't mainstream. I watched MTV, but watch a show like TRL, and how much hard rock was on it? It was pop, RnB, hiip hop, and ballads, and boybands..and then maybe some alternative rock.
You would have to listen to a rock station, or watch a rock show to really get exposed. There would be no reason for me to sit through a top 20 metal/rock when i had no experience or interest in the music, and there was other stuff on tv i did want to watch

Well, as I said, hip hop, pop, and even some RnB are more likely to make it's way into mainstream pop culture than metal and heavy rock.
Who doesn't know Eminem? Songs from Dr. DRE, Snoop, 2Pac, Biggie, Drake, Lil John, random shit from less popular guys like Flo Rida or the Black eyed Peas? You hear their music in commercials, adverts, movies, tv shows, in the mall, at parties, etc. I never hear Metallica or any other hard rock but in random places like here, or if i have a friend that's into the music.
You have to do a lot more active seeking to get into the music because it isn't mainstream. I watched MTV, but watch a show like TRL, and how much hard rock was on it? It was pop, RnB, hiip hop, and ballads, and boybands..and then maybe some alternative rock.
You would have to listen to a rock station, or watch a rock show to really get exposed. There would be no reason for me to sit through a top 20 metal/rock when i had no experience or interest in the music, and there was other stuff on tv i did want to watch

I don't know any of that crap. ;)

Could very well be the greatest heavy metal song. Epic is all I think about when I hear this song.

They tried to do Achilles Last Stand but got a cease and desist or something from the record label so never got around to posting it.

ugh lame. LZ are very strict about their music rights.

I'm excited to watch this video but I had to pause it after like 15 seconds to say I can't understand goddam fucking word they're saying.

^^^proper and exact way to react to Alex Skolnick's solo in that song.

Alex's solo in PWYP is GOAT Level

I like these guys. They did some Opeth as well

Back