Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

Due to this movie, Africa is now well on it's way to being a developed nation that will flourish.

Just kidding, it will still be a shithole for centuries to come. One day maybe the AIDS rate will hit single digits though. Maybe.

Are you under the mistaken notion that black people lack pride? Have you even talked to a black person before?
Not necessarily pride but culture. They are American indeed but as a disenfranchised people learning about their history and having more of a sense of pride in their cultural roots may be good.

The more telling thing for me is all the "THIS IS THE FIRST BLACK SUPERHERO EVA!" responses and I'm over here like:
"I've been watching the first two Blade movies (THERE'S ONLY 2 GODDAMNIT!) for like... a decade...."

Wouldn't you say Blade was more of an antihero though? I realize that's tangential to your point though.

Wouldn't you say Blade was more of an antihero though? I realize that's tangential to your point though.
Someone else said that too but for some reason I always put Blade in like his own separate section of that "bar" so to speak.

Deathstroke (sorta), Punisher 100% are anti-heroes. Blade's in a weird spot for me cause he fights supernatural beings.

Also, I should have posted "first black super hero MOVIE" now I realize.

Not necessarily pride but culture. They are American indeed but as a disenfranchised people learning about their history and having more of a sense of pride in their cultural roots may be good.

If their cultural roots don't have the seeds to help them succeed at modernity, then why take pride in them?

Besides, White people don't succeed because they take pride in their roots. They succeed because they've adapted their culture to succeed.

It's like saying you have to love your mommy to be good at MMA. You don't have to love your mommy. You don't have to hate her, either. You just have to focus on getting good at MMA. And your relationship to your mommy is irrelevant to that matter.

Someone else said that too but for some reason I always put Blade in like his own separate section of that "bar" so to speak.

Deathstroke (sorta), Punisher 100% are anti-heroes. Blade's in a weird spot for me cause he fights supernatural beings.

Also, I should have posted "first black super hero MOVIE" now I realize.

I mention because I think the difference between anti-heroes and "super heroes" is that anti-heroes operate on a more ambiguous sense of morality. Whereas superheroes are almost always purely upright in their morality.

Blade certainly walked a line of morality more in line with Batman than Superman.

I mention because I think the difference between anti-heroes and "super heroes" is that anti-heroes operate on a more ambiguous sense of morality. Whereas superheroes are almost always purely upright in their morality.

Blade certainly walked a line of morality more in line with Batman than Superman.
Did he though? At least movie Blade. The only comics I actually ever read was the Ennis version of Punisher which all the TV/Film versions since after Lundgren have been either loosely based on or almost ripped 100% from.

I mean, Blade's fucking fighting vampires like 90% of the time in the movies and shit which all were a pretty obvious "big bad" the whole time. Even in Blade II with the creepy "modified" ones that the vampires had made weren't beings that could have survived in peace with humans.

Punisher was made in the late 80's. You have 2 lower tiered properties that had been made as a movie before the big guns Any of those properties are valuable if the movie is done correctly.

But there's no point in arguing about whether they are A-list or not. As much as you shit on Marvel Studios you like some of their movies. They are far and away the best comic book interpretation so far and they down right shit on DC (the first two Batman movies being on par if not better depending on who you talk to).
You seem really pleased with yourself after I admitted I liked Homecoming even though I said itwit that earlier. Homecoming was good despite being partially done by Marvel, not because of it, and its because of the character in question.

I think The Nolan films blow the MCU out of the water in terms of quality despite their own flaws. The 2nd Raimi Spiderman movie is also better than most movies in the MCU IMO. I think even the Tim Burton Batman movies are better even though I don't like them as much as some do.

Marvel has worked out a formula which works for them and its been hugely successful but the films are pretty uninspiring in their execution as a result of heavy studio oversight.

If their cultural roots don't have the seeds to help them succeed at modernity, then why take pride in them?

Besides, White people don't succeed because they take pride in their roots. They succeed because they've adapted their culture to succeed.
And that's true but there is also a sense of community that comes with cultural identity. I think a huge difference being Canadian is that it's not just white and black over here. In America it seems that if you are white or black then that's it but here we identify very differently. I'm white but I'm also Greek, we have a strong sense of community and we help each other thrive.

I always thought that in America it always stopped at skin color for African Americans which is a shame because these people come from a place with a rich history. Sure it may not be as inclined as another to thrive due to some incompatibilities but the sense of community can help. Like the Ethiopian community down here does pretty damn well. They opened up resteraunts and meat shops and have many functions going on, it's great.

Due to this movie, Africa is now well on it's way to being a developed nation that will flourish.

Just kidding, it will still be a shithole for centuries to come. One day maybe the AIDS rate will hit single digits though. Maybe.

I can almost feel the aggravation emanating from this post lol

Its just a movie man. Your world isn't crashing down on you.

37 pages and 731 posts over a comic book character that inspires African Americans. What a sorry state of affairs. I didn't think this thread was going to go beyond 3 pages.

And that's true but there is also a sense of community that comes with cultural identity.

Not true.

Was this sense of White racial community evident when the US was in a civil war? How about when the U.S. battled the Germans? Or, even earlier, the British? Or when we more recently battled the Soviets?

Where was the White racial community?

In America it seems that if you are white or black then that's it but here we [Canadians] identify very differently.

I don't think that's true. We also have larger numbers of Hispanics and Asians. We still have our modern mini-dramas with Native Americans and a growing population of Muslim Americans. And of course, we have the second largest population of Jews after Israel. We have other white populations, like the Irish, who insist on their own separate sense of community, which is why we have St Patrick Day's parades and such.

It's not just black and white in the U.S.

I always thought that in America it always stopped at skin color for African Americans which is a shame because these people come from a place with a rich history.

They really don't. If they did, do you think they would have to rely on fictional places like Wakanda to bolster their self-esteem?

Like the Ethiopian community down here does pretty damn well. They opened up resteraunts and meat shops and have many functions going on, it's great.

I'm happy for them. But opening up a few restaurants is not going to propel them into Wakanda.

Last edited:
If fantasies were all it took to come great, then Sheepdog would be filled with badass dudes who fuck a different gorgeous woman every day of their lives.

Great civilizations don't rise because of "beautiful fantasies," and often not even because of "great ideas," and they sure as hell won't become great because of the most recent entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Besides, Black people did not fantasize the Black Panther and Wakanda into existence. Two Jewish boys in New York City did. What does it say when you have to borrow your racial fantasies about greatness from someone who isn't even of your race and never even bothered to visit your continent that you fantasize about?

Pathetic.

That most advanced countries today are in Scandinavia and elsewhere in Northern Europe.

Their ancestors were living in caves when the Mediterranean Greeks and Romans established the blueprints for their societies today.

The emancipation of slaves was intellectually catalyzed by sympathetic literature that pulled at people's imaginations.

Fantasy is not all it takes to make someone or something great but it's an important catalyst.

white-people-black-people-are-doing-too-much-wakanda-31004989.png

You don't have to try sodomy to know it's painful. Some things you just know beforehand

Probably the dumbest example I’ve ever heard

You’re criticizing something you’ve never tried. It’s like saying a song sucks that you’ve never heard.

actually for the most part, this has been a pleasant thread...

I've had good exchanges with several here I normally disagree with.

Back