Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

I haven't seen it yet but 6 of my friends have. Half of them hated it half of them liked it.

Or you can just have an Australian make a movie off of a book about a Scot, whose author just made shit up, and then have the nation use that film as an inspiration for independence.

th
It was great all those people who gained independence after watching Braveheart though, you gotta admit. Truly a turning point in history.

Waaahhhhhh! A movie about a black super hero?! Wahhhhhhh!

Grow the fuck up

<{outtahere}>

I don'tr think anyone is complaining about a black super hero. I think they are complaining about people who are claiming it to be their movie, and the communities involved telling everyone its an achievement when in reality it's just another Marvel movie. If a grown ass man identifies and wants to be a super hero hes a damn man child. He needs to grow up. Doesn't matter if it's black or white. All of these stories are the exact same but for some reason skin color is now what is important about a movie. That's like me saying that Judge Dredd is my movie so people who aren't white can't appreciate it. Or if someone is dumb enough to identify with something as star wars to the point where they try to emulate using the force.

It was great all those people who gained independence after watching Braveheart though, you gotta admit. Truly a turning point in history.

Yeah, mostly I was really bummed when I learned that the Braveheart story was bullshit, I fucking loved that movie.

@Prutfis

Twenty years ago support for Scottish independence was confined to a small minority – but the release of the film Braveheart in the spring of 1995 changed their fortunes. The movie, starring Mel Gibson, tells the story of William Wallace, a Scottish leader who fights against English domination at the end of the 13th century. Braveheart was a massive success, generating over $200 million in box office sales and winning five Oscars at the 68th Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The movie’s effect in Scotland was even more profound, and spawned a new nationalism movement.
Historical inaccuracies did not stop supporters of Scottish nationalism from using the film to promote their cause. Members of the Scottish National Party would stand outside theatres, handing out pamphlets to movie-goers, while Alex Salmond, the party’s leader commented, “William Wallace was a campaigner for Scottish independence. I would have been on his side at the battle of Stirling Bridge.” He is now the First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Yes side in the referendum.

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/08/braveheart-scottish-independence/

@Prutfis

Twenty years ago support for Scottish independence was confined to a small minority – but the release of the film Braveheart in the spring of 1995 changed their fortunes. The movie, starring Mel Gibson, tells the story of William Wallace, a Scottish leader who fights against English domination at the end of the 13th century. Braveheart was a massive success, generating over $200 million in box office sales and winning five Oscars at the 68th Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The movie’s effect in Scotland was even more profound, and spawned a new nationalism movement.
Historical inaccuracies did not stop supporters of Scottish nationalism from using the film to promote their cause. Members of the Scottish National Party would stand outside theatres, handing out pamphlets to movie-goers, while Alex Salmond, the party’s leader commented, “William Wallace was a campaigner for Scottish independence. I would have been on his side at the battle of Stirling Bridge.” He is now the First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Yes side in the referendum.

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/08/braveheart-scottish-independence/
<Dany07>

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete arseholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

Good review here.

10/10

A soaring, aspirational ode to monarchial ethnostates!

That Black Panther will be an exciting, action-packed superhero film is obvious from the second the Marvel fanfare begins. As its narrative unfolds, it becomes just as obvious that the film - about the heroic head of state of a wealthy, technologically-advanced first-world nation with a strict immigration policy whose closest advisers are the strong, beautiful women in his family - is an adulatory homage to Donald Trump. Director Ryan Coogler's decision to use a comic book character from the fictional African nation of Wakanda as his vehicle to deliver his cinematic genuflection to the 45th President of the United States - an aspirational allegory for America - is brilliant in its subversiveness; the choice makes this political parable bulletproof from any specious criticism of racial bigotry, letting the purity and wisdom of its message shine through the screen.

That message, of course, is that a monarchial ethnostate was, remains, and will forever be the best form of national government. If the global experiment of democracy over the last two centuries has shown us anything, it's that populations ought to have a say in their own governance to the extent that children should direct their own parenting: little to none. It's a preposterous proposition. While it's fun to vote yourself piles of candy for dinner every night, the foolishness of the endeavor becomes clear when you've made yourself sick, toothless, and penniless. The royal line from which King T'Challa descends hasn't fallen into this trap, and we see the result: a happy, harmonious people who love the ruler who loves them back.

The more-controversial, but eminently defensible, moral of this superhero story is that ethnic homogeneity is simply the most ideal and natural state of nations. Scolds and scoundrels might squeal, "That's racism!" Not true, replies the student of history; after all, we are all one single human race. Our various cultures, however, are vastly different, and peace with your neighbor can only last when you both share one. That isn't to say that Coogler is claiming there exists no legitimate roles for "the other" in Wakanda. There are - the political refugee, the foreign diplomat - but so often, as personified by Ulysses Klaue (another of Andy Serkis' brilliant CGI character creations, fitting seamlessly into his real-life surroundings), the outsider simply wants to rape and pillage, and if the ruler is to remain a hero, he must prevent such an intrusion by any means possible.

So bravo, Mr. Coogler, and the entire cast and crew, for showing America - and every country on earth - an ideal to strive for. You've made a film that cuts a clear path through the miasmic, rotten jungle of open borders, multiculturalism, and assimilation, so I don't think I exaggerate when I say this: Black Panther may have just saved the world.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

havent read the thread, how long was it before the first racist post?
its a comic book movie, not high art.

Yeah, mostly I was really bummed when I learned that the Braveheart story was bullshit, I fucking loved that movie.

A town in Scotland built a huge statue of Mel in Braveheart. Shortly after it was built, he made those antisemitic remarks.

It honestly looks like something Richard Spencer would come up with if he got to make a Hollywood movie where he promotes his Ethno-Nationalism whilst mocking black people and making fun of the idiots who watch this kind of garbage.

The lack of self awareness form the movies creators and fans is hilarious. It's like the We Wuz Kangz meme made into a movie. It's hard to believe this is serious and not a right-wing parody.

I haven't seen it yet but 6 of my friends have. Half of them hated it half of them liked it.

Its a marvel movie so thats no surprise. Im suspect though on the extreme ratings of 1 and 10.

I bet its a solid 6.

Back