BLACK MIRROR (Season 6 officially greenlit, in the works)

All i see are spoiler tags.

Just speak, dammit!

Metalhead was the only original idea in the 4th season, the rest were about either privacy, or enslaved consciousness, which they've done to death at this point.

So far not bad. Hang dj was my favorite. Gotta watch other few that are left. Crocodile was nothing special to me.

Hang the DJ is making a strong case for my favorite episode.

Thus far it's been
(top three in no particular order):
The Entire History of You
White Christmas
Shut Up and Dance

I've seen Hang the DJ multiple times now, and it hasn't lost its luster.

I do not get all the Metalhead hate. It was thrilling from beginning to end in my opinion. I like when you can tell an interesting story with very little dialogue.

It seems like people really wanted a message from this episode, but it is good that the series changes things up now and then and you are not always waiting for a message or twist at the end.

I think that episode was in black and white because it is thought that is the only spectrum of color dogs see, so in my mind it gave the realization that it was actually their world now.

Last edited:
I only have the last episode to watch.

So far San junipero still reigns supreme.

Metalhead was the only original idea in the 4th season, the rest were about either privacy, or enslaved consciousness, which they've done to death at this point.

Not gonna lie I'm kinda sick of the "omg they are a consciousness in a machine" twist in every episode

Yeh, it's certainly a show that splits opinion among fans. San Junipero's some people's favourite episode, whereas it's a lot of people's least favourite. I saw a guy on here list Playtest as his favourite BM episode and it's definitely bottom of my list.

USS Callister was great, but then again I like Star Trek.

I've only seen USS Callister from season 4 so far, but I loved it. Cristin Milioti was great.

The same people that hate this episode also seem to hate San Junipero. I think some people just can't handle happy endings and need something to be super sad for it to have any affect on them.

I personally loved this season, it's got to be my favorite so far. Every episode had me fully invested and satisfied. I think the fact that everybody seems to have such strong feelings and opinions on the episodes, and they're all so diverse, really speaks volumes to the depth of the show. I can't wait for more.

USS Callister
My favorite episode of the season and the series. The acting, the premise, the set design, the plot, the pacing, the cast, the twist, everything about this episode was excellent. There wasn't a weakness in it. People can claim he should have been smarter, but his power trip was about being loved, and she played on his weakness. I fucking loved the ending, the crew was trapped in an eternal prison, but end up in control of their destiny with the entire universe right in front of them.

Arkangel
So this episode didn't have a ton of depth, the concept was one of the most realistic but they could have gone in to a lot more depth on the repercussions. I think this episode was great from a story driven perspective though and wasn't trying to explore the idea, so much as tell a good story with the idea at its heart. The mother's own love backfired, and she went from seeing too much of her daughter's life to not seeing her at all.

Crocodile

So at this point I'm noticing every episode is falling in to its own genre with twists. First episode is sci-fi, second is a coming of age thing, and this third is a crime thriller where we know the crime from the beginning. What makes it interesting from there is that the crime escalates due to various reasons. She originally has no control of the situation, they don't even see the man that was killed. A total accident really. In memories coming back to haunt the boyfriend, it brings out what she compartmentalized. The technology is being used to verify similar accident, but ends up leading to more deaths. The difference here is that now there's no accidents, she is choosing to take 4 lifes to protect the comfort of her own. Each murder adding to the memories that scar her. The ending was interesting, blind baby and an overlooked guinea pig, but I liked it.

I think the point was -- what lengths will people go to to protect what they have/ want.
In the beginning, she had nothing to lose (she was just the passenger) and he had everything to lose because he was drunk and killed a man.
Later, his life wasn't so great, and he felt that it would be better if he came clean. Her life was amazeballs and she was like fuck that noise.
She went from being morally correct when she had nothing to lose to 6x the monster when their roles were reversed.

What didn't make sense was ... why did he have to involve her? He did it. Come clean and leave her out of it. He was kind of an asshole.

And thats not even addressing the technology.
The technology definitely led to the spiral. But the memory kickstarted it, the boyfriend couldn't remove the memory from his life like she could. And it was definitely a purposeful decision to make her the villain in this one, to highlight the scale of the fall.

Hang the DJ
So here we have our romance. Probably the slowest episode of the season, not a lot happens after the premise is outlined. We're just kind of left waiting for the resolution, which is somewhat predictable. The show is so unpredictable though, I wasn't expecting the happy ending we got. It was a cute episode and I enjoyed it, but it was probably the weakest overall of the season. The comparisons of the app's approach to dating and the real world were interesting and make up the meat of the episode. But this one was made for the feels more so than the thoughts.

Metalhead
Probably the most underrated episode of the season. This nails the horror genre. A minimalist approach to storytelling to compliment a minimalist world. There's not much of a lesson besides the threat of what murderbots could mean, it's a simple premise that seemed the most conventional of its portrayed genre. I personally "loved" the dogs. Those things were absolutely terrifying because we have that technology today for the most part, just takes someone weaponizing it and pumping them out of a factory. But what people are overlooking is the fact that all these episodes seem to be connected. Which means at some point, the Earth's population is largely wiped out and there's a demand for these murderbots. It may have been the most simple episode of the show, it actually has the most connotations for the world it's created. It brings up a lot of questions that I think will eventually be answered. I think this probably ties in to the second episode of the series, a world where humans are confined to limited space. Somehow the majority of people end up there, and survivors on the outside contend with these dogs. Ending was kind of sappy, but on top of the obvious emotional meaning of the teddy bears, there may be a sci-fi twist that shows them to mean more.

Black Museum
So our conclusion is an anthology for an anthology, very meta. Speaking of meta, we see a ton of references to the old shows, like a museum of the show itself. And the thing is, this show is painful to watch, it would be a villain if it were personified. The concepts were straightforward, which made them good for shorts compared to full episodes. The end was cool, I liked that she burned it down, but it almost felt like that means the show may be not be coming back. Though my biggest complain of the season was the twist of her mom being in her head, there was no need for that and it really removed the impact the rest of the story had on me. The episode was enough, it just didn't feel necessary and didn't add anything but questions.

Overall, I loved this season. I think there was a lot of good and very little bad. It may not have lived up to everyones expectations, I think it delivered a lot of quality content spanning a wide range of genres, with endings that were dark and optimistic. I've never enjoyed the show more.

Still fun episodes. The rehashed stuff was at least presented differently.

never watched star trek before but that first episode was fucking sweet. i love the whole concept of AI and AI rights/morality.

That whole concept/idea would make a fucking great stand alone TV show like Westworld.

A little late to this as it's taken me a couple months to collect my thoughts, plus this thread was gone in fucking seconds I feel like.

First off I have to defend season 4, while in a lot of ways it did made me appreciate how good season 3 was I still thought that overall it was very good.

USS Callister- Even borderline blackout drunk I could tell this was a great episode. Awesome concept, great execution and a perfect ending.

Arkangel- Definitely the episode that had me cringing the most, in a good way. At the same time, similar to Playtest from last season, I watched this in a bad mood and found it to be the weakest of the season.

Crocodile- This was where I completely got into this season. In some ways reminded me of The Entire History of You, as it was pretty dark and the plot was pushed forward with technology while the people's psyches remained the focus.

Hang the DJ- Ya its the San Junipero/romantic episode of the season but I fucking loved it. Favorite episode of the season.

Metalhead- Truthfully just a very good horror short.

Black Museum- Extremely Tales from the Cryptesque so I really enjoyed it, however may have been the most predictable episode of Black Mirror I've ever seen.

If I had to rank them I'd put them in this order:
Hang the DJ
USS Callister
Crocodile
Black Museum
Metalhead
Arkangel

Last edited:

dont care. i love all the enslaved consciousness ones. they are always my favorites.

uss calister was far and away tbe best one. sadly it was also the very first one. most of rest were good though.

1st, this bump made me excited

Then I saw the thread title said season 4, and I was like oh wait, damn, this is old

Then, I see this post at the end

giphy.gif

EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER

I just updated the thread title to include the news.

Much excite

<5>

I do not get all the Metalhead hate. It was thrilling from beginning to end in my opinion. I like when you can tell an interesting story with very little dialogue.

It seems like people really wanted a message from this episode, but it is good that the series changes things up now and then and you are not always waiting for a message or twist at the end.

I think that episode was in black and white because it is thought that is the only spectrum of color dogs see, so in my mind it gave the realization that it was actually their world now.

To me it seemed like a worthless episode. Waste of time. What was thrilling about it? I didn't care if that lady died and kept hoping she would so the episode would end. Critics seem to love it which just goes to show how useless they are.

Pretty excited to hear we'll be getting a new season soon. I hadn't really been following any news on the show, so this was a nice surprise. The "choose your own adventure" episode sounds very interesting. It'll be fun to see how they implement that idea. Reminds me of the good old Goosebumps days.

Back