Black Mesa Source

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

HL is my favorite FPS all time so I'm really glad it got a graphical remake. I want to buy Black Mesa Source. Does it include the entire original HL minus Xen?

You have to pay for Black Mesa now? I downloaded it like 5 years ago when it was a free mod, but I never played it. At the time it was unfinished as it had no Xen content. Don't know about today.

You have to pay for Black Mesa now? I downloaded it like 5 years ago when it was a free mod, but I never played it. At the time it was unfinished as it had no Xen content. Don't know about today.

The free mod is still available. Theres a bit of a long story to the commercial version being made. Essentially when Valve offered to make it a commercial product, the dev team was given access to the full resources of the games engine. Without these, the dev team felt they wouldnt be able to actually do the Xen levels. So the free mod will always be there and even updated, but it wont have the Xen levels. Then the commercial product will have enhanced features and contain the Xen levels when they're eventually finished.

The free mod is still available. Theres a bit of a long story to the commercial version being made. Essentially when Valve offered to make it a commercial product, the dev team was given access to the full resources of the games engine. Without these, the dev team felt they wouldnt be able to actually do the Xen levels. So the free mod will always be there and even updated, but it wont have the Xen levels. Then the commercial product will have enhanced features and contain the Xen levels when they're eventually finished.

The worst part of the HL3 never being made is all the lore and potential story that's going to die with it.

For example, it would have been fun seeing the Portal and HL stories merging someday. Or maybe prequels... whatever. Mixing portal guns and gravity guns together... multiplayer even. Who knows.

Too bad really.

Ive been replaying Half life 2. I haven't pkayed it since it first came out, which came with the first Steam install that took longer than the game. Since then, ive only played team fortress.

This game is damn good. I love how people drop like a sack of shit when killed, alomg with their flatline noise.

Fuck the air boat amd dune buggy tho.

I do remember the gravity gun getting awesome at the end. Looking forward to that. Right now, i just crossed the bridge.

IMO someone would be dumb to buy the retail version because those Xen levels are vaporware at this point I think.

Ive been replaying Half life 2. I haven't pkayed it since it first came out, which came with the first Steam install that took longer than the game. Since then, ive only played team fortress.

This game is damn good. I love how people drop like a sack of shit when killed, alomg with their flatline noise.

I do remember the gravity gun getting awesome at the end. Looking forward to that. Right now, i just crossed the bridge.

Nice. I haven't played it since 2004 either. I really keep meaning to fire it up again one of these days.

IMO someone would be dumb to buy the retail version because those Xen levels are vaporware at this point I think.

There's quite a few improvements, actually. Animations, voice acting, etc.

I've been playing about a month. It's awesome. I wish there was iron sights for the Glock and SMG, but that's my only negative comment.

The worst part of the HL3 never being made is all the lore and potential story that's going to die with it.

For example, it would have been fun seeing the Portal and HL stories merging someday. Or maybe prequels... whatever. Mixing portal guns and gravity guns together... multiplayer even. Who knows.

Too bad really.
It seems almost criminal that this isnt going to happen. I have never enjoyed a FPS more than the HL 2 games and add ons.

It seems almost criminal that this isnt going to happen. I have never enjoyed a FPS more than the HL 2 games and add ons.
It is criminal. Killing off one of the greatest gaming franchises of all time because of (____insert reason here _____) is inexcusable. I know GabeN is rolling in the fat cash now from DOTA, but come on. The most significant gaming cliffhanger ever created is lingering 10 years later.

Too bad really.

Yeah, they alluded to big story links between the company from portal and the resistance in hl2. 10 years since Episode 2 and nothing. A real shame. Apparently Valve's dev structure is set up to where developers individually decide what project they want to work on, so resurrecting something like half life seems an outside shot.

Man, the commercial version still doesn't have Xen?
It is criminal. Killing off one of the greatest gaming franchises of all time because of (____insert reason here _____) is inexcusable. I know GabeN is rolling in the fat cash now from DOTA, but come on. The most significant gaming cliffhanger ever created is lingering 10 years later.
Yeah, talk about forgetting where you come from... I've never seen a company leave money on the table like that.

Although in these days of endless sequels and soulless remakes there is something vaguely noble about not wanting to do it unless they "want to"...

They have a specific feeling, the half-life games. I have played Singleplayer games before that have amazing immersion or feeling to it, like Dishonored, Bully or Oblivion, but nothing has the same feeling than Half-Life games have. Its great. It is such a shame that we probably will never see HL3. Such a waste... Of lore and story, as was said above already

I bought Black Mesa from steam sale. Been having fun, but damn its stressing me out in some spots :D Dont know why, but I have always had weakness to HL1. It scares the fuck out of me sometimes. Especially that chase (just got through it). Hopefully it wont last too long before the Xen levels are done... People have been waiting for quite some time

Might as well play Half-Life 2 and the episodes once again. Great games, although HL2 EP1 is so short. I played it through years ago and steam says "2 hours played". Probably near 3 hours, but come on??? 3 hour campaign? Thats nothing. But luckily HL2 itself is longer and EP2 was bit longer too.

Fond memories. Might play them in a row soon

E: For reasons unknown, seems like they arent doing HL3 but I wish Valve would do at least something. New Portal game? Well, guess not and it did end perfectly. But how about a new one? Or even Left For Dead 3? Just... something.

Loved that game. I've played through it three times now. I'll never forget my first playthough the last stage. After the whole jail stage I thought man this is going to be tough cause the jail one was pretty tough at some parts. Then all of a sudden the gravity gun changes and they just make it a fun ass level. Such a well done game.

They have a specific feeling, the half-life games. I have played Singleplayer games before that have amazing immersion or feeling to it, like Dishonored, Bully or Oblivion, but nothing has the same feeling than Half-Life games have. Its great. It is such a shame that we probably will never see HL3. Such a waste... Of lore and story, as was said above already

I bought Black Mesa from steam sale. Been having fun, but damn its stressing me out in some spots :D Dont know why, but I have always had weakness to HL1. It scares the fuck out of me sometimes. Especially that chase (just got through it). Hopefully it wont last too long before the Xen levels are done... People have been waiting for quite some time

Might as well play Half-Life 2 and the episodes once again. Great games, although HL2 EP1 is so short. I played it through years ago and steam says "2 hours played". Probably near 3 hours, but come on??? 3 hour campaign? Thats nothing. But luckily HL2 itself is longer and EP2 was bit longer too.

Fond memories. Might play them in a row soon

E: For reasons unknown, seems like they arent doing HL3 but I wish Valve would do at least something. New Portal game? Well, guess not and it did end perfectly. But how about a new one? Or even Left For Dead 3? Just... something.

The joke is Valve has a hatred of the number 3. None of their games have reached that point yet. Maybe someday they will surprise us with a #3 megapack and release everything at once:

HL2
Portal 3
Dota 3
Left for Dead 3
TF 3

The joke is Valve has a hatred of the number 3. None of their games have reached that point yet. Maybe someday they will surprise us with a #3 megapack and release everything at once:

HL2
Portal 3
Dota 3
Left for Dead 3
TF 3

Heh, imagine that they would release a box like that. When Orange box came, that was fantastic. If someday they would release a new box just like that, it would make the gaming community lose their minds.

But of course, it being Valve, I doubt any of those games are coming. And if there is, its probably just Left for Dead 3 :F

HL2
Portal 3
Dota 3
Left for Dead 3
TF 3
May as well count HL Alyx as #3 since they retroactively changed the end of E2.

Back