Black Belt Road Trip Part 2...

Shaolin's has showers as well.

Shaolin's has showers as well.

It looks like I'll be a clean city wanderer then. They all have showers.

I have been to NYC many times. Although I consider New York my original home, I am really a tourist now. I have been able to to see the city in so many ways over the years, but now I get to see it through a jiu jitsu perspective.

yeah shaolins has showers. their friday night nogi class is good if you can make it.

Damn I think I'm suppose to go to Six Flags on Saturday for a family reunion. I'm usually there on Saturdays. The 1230pm class is really good. Henrique usually teaches it. You should try and make open mat too it's nogi but usually has the much bigger crowd and usually some famous heads on the mats. Kurt Pelligrino has been there for the past few saturdays and some other mma fighters sometime stop by on Saturday. I might be at the Friday night class depending on my work schedule.

I did a mini BJJ NYC tour last summer on a business trip. Hit up Shaolin's a couple times and Marcelo's once. Both places are incredible.

This thread is making me sad. I was all psyched because I am going to NYC for ten days, till I google map'ed where Easthampton is and realized I can't do shit for BJJ.

This thread is making me sad. I was all psyched because I am going to NYC for ten days, till I google map'ed where Easthampton is and realized I can't do shit for BJJ.

Son I'm dissapoint. Your acting like vegas is bad though atleast you don't live in south dakota or somewhere with less of a bjj population

Renzo's place is cool. I was surprised that Igor Gracie remembered me from my visit to Brazil in 2006. They let me drop off my suitcase and roam around the city for a couple of hours before practice.

I like their warm up. "counting to 6, and then the class finishes the count to ten" with jumping jacks, ab work, etc...

Guard passing drills with one partner makes sense. About five minutes each. Then switching to side control escapes and back mount escapes.

Gregor Gracie taught a cool half guard pass.

Then rolling...I was happy to see a few older black belts on the mat. After sparring, the old guys (me too) sat against the wall and listened to this gentleman in his late forties give shit to the younger black belts like only New Yorkers can do. It was pretty funny....

Finally, thank you for the showers. I'm sure the people on the "E" train appreciated it.

Looking forward to Marcelo's and Shaolin's over the next three days...:)

I wish I had the time/money to travel like you do.

On a dancing note, you and the gf should stop by Frim Fram tonight (8-1am, 31st and 8th). They get blues-y-ish later in the evening.

Son I'm dissapoint. Your acting like vegas is bad though atleast you don't live in south dakota or somewhere with less of a bjj population

Pretty much all my knowledge of NYC comes from law and order, and they're always out in the hamptons catching dirty politicians and shit.

Pretty much all my knowledge of NYC comes from law and order, and they're always out in the hamptons catching dirty politicians and shit.

That's where the rich people go to escape the city. But there's a reason it's considered an escape, cause it's all the way out on the island. It's beautiful and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself, but if you were planning on seeing Marcelo or Renzo, it will have to wait for another trip.

I wish I had the time/money to travel like you do.

On a dancing note, you and the gf should stop by Frim Fram tonight (8-1am, 31st and 8th). They get blues-y-ish later in the evening.

Thanks. I had to get back to Queens last night. Tonight is my dance night. I'll be at REflections. WEst 49th between 7th and 8th. (8-10 lesson 10-2 dance)

Tomorrow Marcelo GArcia...

If you're close to Sag Harbor, I know a couple of purple belts that run a school out there.... I don't think they have a website but they have a facebook page for sure.

Hamptons BJJ.

I hope you end up on mginaction sparring with Marcelo. You should make a trip to Chicago sometime, so many schools in Chicago these days.

Are you driving on these trips?

Wait lol I totally forgot about you visiting. I was the black guy in the locker room talking about getting old lol. You lead the warmups at 1230 right?

If you're close to Sag Harbor, I know a couple of purple belts that run a school out there.... I don't think they have a website but they have a facebook page for sure.

Hamptons BJJ.

I will be in sag harbor, so that is very cool. I will probably be in various stages of alcohol poisoning the whole time but I will definitely want to get some training in.

It was good having you at the gym. Hope you enjoyed the rolls.

Wait lol I totally forgot about you visiting. I was the black guy in the locker room talking about getting old lol. You lead the warmups at 1230 right?

lol...I think age is somewhat of a mindset. Some people complain about getting old at 25. 45 (me) is not that old anymore. I needed to make some modifications to my lifestyle to stay healthy, but once I did, it made all the difference.

(sleep, limited partying, water, healthy food, protein, glutamine, fish oil, vitamins, fulfilling job, cool girlfriend, more technical jiu jitsu game)

It was good having you at the gym. Hope you enjoyed the rolls.

Thank you very much. I did enjoy my rolls and my overall experience. Great school! Marcelo is one of the nicest jiu jitsu stars I've ever met. I didn't get a chance to roll with him, but he took time to sit against the wall with me and talk about life.

A real gentleman...

IMG_2210.jpg
[/IMG]

Back