Black Belt Road Trip (long read)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Cash Bill 52, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    Black Belt Road Trip

I was able to take the last 3 weeks and travel through Idaho and Oregon visiting some jiu jitsu schools and here are some thoughts...

1. Boise, Idaho...Keith Owen

Ultimate Karate & Jiu-Jitsu | Boise, Idaho | Martial Arts Home

Boisefireman has been trying to get me to come up to Boise to train so I took him up on his offer. I got to train with him and Keith Owen’s team at their school in Meridian, ID. The training there is legit. They have some tough guys who like to train.

Some random observations

-Punch cards to track attendance and belt progression...
    -Pedro Sauer’s self defense moves for belt testing...
    -“Your goal is black belt” sign on the wall...(What’s my goal?)
    -The city of Boise is more cosmopolitan than you might think.
    -The Ari Bolden drama and lack of drama among the students there.
    -Boisefireman is a class act and now we are good buds.
    -Must do White water rafting again...
    -Keith Owen is funny. I had a hard time not laughing while he was instructing...

2. Bend, Oregon...Roy Dean

Welcome to*Roy Dean Academy

Roy is truly one of the good guys in our sport/art. I got to spend an hour on the mat with him problem solving positions and exchanging moves. He was really interested in what I had to offer. I trained 4 sessions over two days with his team.

More random observations...

-Some traditional martial art feel...Bowing, Japanese words, Zen like atmosphere, calm/articulate voice for instruction. (not overly TMA-a nice pleasant combination)

-Very welcoming team...Had burgers and beers with his top purple belt/assistant instructor, Donald, and other team members.

-Bend, Oregon is a great place to train and live...Beautiful scenery, cool people, Nice lifestyle

3. Salem, Oregon

Salem Kezar school...

Salem Keizer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I showed up unannounced to an open mat at this school. This is probably the most competitive school I visited. Lots of upper belts on the mat. I didn’t get to train with Ben or James (2 black belts) but I could tell that their jiu jitsu is world class.

Portland, Or

I really want to thank Alonbenav for hooking me up with all the training I did in Portland. I was there for a 5 day Blues Dance Festival so I split my time between training and dancing

4. Nemesis Bjj

Nemesis BJJ

I attended another open mat at this school. The six of us rotated and I got some good rolls in.

5. Next Level

Next Level Martial Arts - MMA Portland Oregon

Again, thanks to Alonbenav for inviting me to train at his school. They are a Cavaca affiliate that with some up and coming amateur fighters that like training in the gi. I was happy to share my knowledge with them and steal some ideas from them as well. I got to hang out with their team at Saturday’s UFC.

Overall, the jiu jitsu community is filled with real people. Like Joe Rogan said, “You can’t do jiu jitsu and be full of shit.” I traveled 2,500 miles over 20 days and I was never bored. I hope to get to do this some day again...

Thanks again to my new buddies; Matt, Donald, and Logan. And thanks to The Sherdog F12 community. Without this forum, none of this would have been possible...

Boisefireman giving the patriotic salute on the raft...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Roy Dean's entrance...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Guys at Nemesis...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

TheHereticJay
    Man! Sounds like you were living in a dream these past three weeks. Very awesome dude.

And gotta say, that purple belt at the bottom has one GNARLY beard!

3. Aesopian Brown Belt

Aesopian
    I'm awarding that purple belt a stripe for his beard.

4. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    The beard was very intimidating...

5. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    Roy Dean's guys and gal

Donald and crew...

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Roy Dean White Belt

Roy Dean
    Bill,

It was so good having you join us on the mat. I hope you can swing up this way again. As you've seen, Bend is beautiful spot, especially in the summertime.

Also wanted to give you props on your game. Very technical with excellent movement. You move like a much smaller player. Must have something to do with all that dancing!

Roy

7. Mad Sweeps Purple Belt

Mad Sweeps
    very cool to hear! sounds like a ton of fun (not just the training). I wish I didn't hate driving so much, so I could do something like this.

8. boisefireman Blue Belt

boisefireman
    It was so much fun having you come up. I only wish we had more time for jiu jitsu!! Good food, good whitewater and a lot of talk about a lot of things.
    You are welcome back anytime and you have a friend in Idaho.
    PS I won't tell anyone I saw you drinking a sissy mango colada. would do your rep good. HAHA.

9. Alonbenav Green Belt

Alonbenav
    What Bill forgot to mention is how he tortured us with his passing game and insane pressure and made us look silly when we tried to return the favor. :wink:

He was also very generous with advice and his knowledge and I'm very glad to have had him here.

10. Budo Jake Orange Belt

Budo Jake
    Nice post Cash Bill!
    I always like seeing other academies.
    Every one has a unique feel and they are usually filled with cool people.

11. LimPShoT Orange Belt

LimPShoT
    Wish i would of known you were going to stop by nemesis, never seen those guys at the gym before. Sounds like a awesome adventure you had.

12. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    Thanks, Roy...I really hope to bring the "problem solving" approach to my school. It's the way I teach my fifth graders. It should work on the mat as well. I really appreciate the extra time you spared for me and the atmosphere you have created for your students.

I definitely feel dancing has helped my jiu jitsu game. When I dance I work on my posture, balance, timing, and more. There are many common themes between fighting and dancing...:icon_chee

13. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    I don't normally drink, but when I do; the drink must have an umbrella in it...

Lots of good conversations. I even got to help the Boise Fire Department raise money for muscular dystrophy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I'm glad I got to train with Next Level. I think I actually made it to the "Next level" while I was training with you guys...

Definitely BJ... You can learn quite a bit about people when you try to choke them...:icon_twis

It was a great experience and I hope to do it again.

14. Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

Ice 9 Cobra
    Boise is a great town, some of the most fun I've had were at BSU house parties.

15. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    Cool. I had a good time there too. Here's Keith Owen's school...I'm 6' 205. These guys are huge!

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. Alonbenav Green Belt

Alonbenav
    Talk to Daniel R., he opens up on Sunday for an open mat, that's when we came in.

17. boisefireman Blue Belt

boisefireman
  18. SheerTechnique Blue Belt

SheerTechnique
    That's awesome Cash Bill! Looks like fun. My question is, as a black belt visiting, what was the general vibe from all of the colored belts? Were they rolling like it was the finals of the Mundials to 'tap the visiting black belt'. It seems like there would be lots of pressure visiting as a black belt.

19. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
    A little bit of everything. Some people calling me, "Sir". Some afraid to ask me to roll. Some gunning for me. It was all good. Every roll was a good roll.

20. trenlong White Belt

trenlong
    it was fun rolling bill, I wish you lived here, I am a big fan of thorough butt whoopins
    next time come earlier in the season and the whitewater will be way higher and even more fun!