Black belt can’t do a proper guillotine...

i'm a brown belt and probably haven't guillotined anyone in years.

some moves just don't suit you. i can never quite get the grips right, could never master marcelo's high elbow style, or any other variation... the only ones i've ever hit were the power guillotines (with the RNC grip) - those are brutal and get the tap quickly, but not exactly easy to catch.

I used to never use them but 2 years into brown I'm hitting them quite a bit. Hunting them because it's also a good sweeping option. It's so fun once you learn the proper crunch technique making their face go towards their groin, it's over

I abandoned guillotines for years. I was not good at them, and also I was doing sambo (no chokes) and combat Sambo (chokes are allowed but you wear headgear, kurtka and gloves) so yeah, it is difficult and not much use for them.
But then after getting guillotined three times in a row by a bjj black belt in no gi, I started doing them again because what the hell, if not my attack, at least I had to polish my defense and not get caught in them.
Because life hack: when you get good in a technique and understand it, you also learn how to defend it better.
And to my surprise I started to tap people with it. Go figure. I learned that for me, it works to actually crank with the hips and back, not so much with the arms. Arms are there just to hold and twist the head slightly. For some reason when I get tapped with it it's due to a spine crank and no choke... Something wrong with my neck I guess.

Guillotine is my number one submission. Gi or no-gi. The key for me is the chin strap to control the head and just attack the neck. Arm in guillotines get weird and it can be hard to tell if it’s sunk. With the chin strap you usually know right away if you have the right angle. I’m a hobbyist black belt but I’ve caught black belt mundial medalists with it.

If you're comfortable with the chinstrap grip, you don't necessarily need to connect both hands to finish, rather snake the gripping arm in deep pushing your hand past their shoulder, while overhooking them with your free arm to control them and pull their arm up. Nate Diaz and Gordon Ryan have used this style of guillotine.

(11:04)

Back