Black belt can’t do a proper guillotine...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
yet!!!

With the gi I never go for guillotines for some reason. Maybe my arms are too long, there is too much fabric in the way, or my hamstrings are so tight that I can’t get my upper body beyond perpendicular. It was a little embarrassing in class today when I was working with a white belt. Luckily I have a black belt in humility so I was the annoying student who kept asking questions and demanding help...

In no gi, my arm in guillotine is a go to move for me. The angle I create, the absence of gi friction, and my lengthy arms seem to work very well for me.

So, by the end of class, my 10 finger grip, my Marcelo style high elbow, and the arm in finally started working a little. I was like “whew”. I knew I could do it. I didn’t hit it in sparring but I plan to continue working on it.

My point is that I probably learned this move 22 years ago. For some reason, I just quit using it and basically forgot the different types of grips and positioning to finish it. There are probably many other moves that I can’t do any more as well. The last kicker...my coach came to us 11 years ago as a white belt while I was teaching the beginner’s class. I probably taught him the guillotine...

Gotta love jiu Jitsu. We all have room to improve!

When somebody tells me that I have probably forgotten more moves than they know; they are correct.

Last edited:
Practice on some 90 pound asian guys. Even Dan the Wolfman looks impressive against them...

Stretch your hamstrings dawg!

Ever heard of PNF stretching? Check it out.

Also highly HIGHLY recommend The Genius of Flexibility by Bob Cooley. Might be a free PDF available. Amazing.

And last, my girlfriend does workouts by this woman Miranda Esmonde White. She uses the same DVD over and over. She's a former ballet dancer and a great stretching and balance teacher. She's 69 and looks fantastic. Trust me... most of us here would still hit it ;)
She also has a daughter with great YouTube stuff I believe.

Get your stretch on @Cash Bill 52 . Your last thread was about your body falling apart, get some range of motion back man! What have you got to lose?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mir...id-att-aio-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Ok, I just checked this out. I use my belt to stretch after class. This could easily be added to my routine.

I think hamstring flexibility might actually help. Putting my shoulder over the “tag on the shirt” would be easier. Possibly the hamstring tightness keeps me leaning back.
Thanks!
Stretch your hamstrings dawg!

Ever heard of PNF stretching? Check it out.

Also highly HIGHLY recommend The Genius of Flexibility by Bob Cooley. Might be a free PDF available. Amazing.

And last, my girlfriend does workouts by this woman Miranda Esmonde White. She uses the same DVD over and over. She's a former ballet dancer and a great stretching and balance teacher. She's 69 and looks fantastic. Trust me... most of us here would still hit it ;)
She also has a daughter with great YouTube stuff I believe.

Get your stretch on @Cash Bill 52 . Your last thread was about your body falling apart, get some range of motion back man! What have you got to lose?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mir...id-att-aio-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I may be wrong but I dont think Marcelo likes going for the guillotine in gi either (for the same reasons you mentioned above)? So youre in good company!

Pretty sure there are hundreds of videos of him snatching guillotines in the gi, but I remember him saying he prefers the collar choke and grabbing the far leg if available.

I may be wrong but I dont think Marcelo likes going for the guillotine in gi either (for the same reasons you mentioned above)? So youre in good company!

Pretty sure there are hundreds of videos of him snatching guillotines in the gi, but I remember him saying he prefers the collar choke and grabbing the far leg if available.

The guillotine does seem difficult or it just doesn’t appear very often in the gi. I’m glad to be in good company!

The guillotine does seem difficult or it just doesn’t appear very often in the gi. I’m glad to be in good company!

i hit lots of guillotines in the gi, but it's definitely a leap of faith because you don't 'feel' the choke like you do no gi. you just kind-of trust your mechanics and do it. also, unlike a loop choke, a failed guillotine still leaves you with great positional options. roy marsh, the guillotine code ftw

Actually I don't really use or teach guillotine. Same as the other BB .It was kind of frowm upon when you were lower belt and we don't really add to our repertoire.

We might cover it once before a nogi competition.

If a student asked me more details, I re direct to a blue belt student that come from a nogi background and has a nasty guillotine.

You should see the reaction when I explained that he has better guillotine and I never really bothered about it.

yet!!!

With the gi I never go for guillotines for some reason. Maybe my arms are too long, there is too much fabric in the way, or my hamstrings are so tight that I can’t get my upper body beyond perpendicular. It was a little embarrassing in class today when I was working with a white belt. Luckily I have a black belt in humility so I was the annoying student who kept asking questions and demanding help...

In no gi, my arm in guillotine is a go to move for me. The angle I create, the absence of gi friction, and my lengthy arms seem to work very well for me.

So, by the end of class, my 10 finger grip, my Marcelo style high elbow, and the arm in finally started working a little. I was like “whew”. I knew I could do it. I didn’t hit it in sparring but I plan to continue working on it.

My point is that I probably learned this move 22 years ago. For some reason, I just quit using it and basically forgot the different types of grips and positioning to finish it. There are probably many other moves that I can’t do any more as well. The last kicker...my coach came to us 11 years ago as a white belt while I was teaching the beginner’s class. I probably taught him the guillotine...

When somebody tells me that I have probably forgotten more moves than they know; they are correct.
I’m the same. My guillotines suck bad. I’ve never been good at them, even in no gi.

yet!!!

guillotines in the gi are a bitch the lapel def gets in the way i think 10 fingers work better in gi

One of my favorite things about jiu-jitsu is how so many people have so many different preferences. I really love guillotines in the gi but I know I'm in the minority. I like how the extra friction makes it harder to escape although I admit they are harder to get a clean bite on. Guillotines in the gi are some of my favorite techniques.I almost gave up on them in the gi but a few years ago Claudio Calasans had a BJJ Hacks video where he said he likes them even better gi than no-gi for the reasons I mentioned and so I stuck it out. Josh Hinger and Kron Gracie are also very sharp with them in gi so I watched them too.

Yeah it's the one choke Marcelo is famous for that he doesn't do much both gi and no-gi. I've seen him do a handful on his website over the years but not very many at all. With the north south and the rear naked he does those plenty in the gi. He gave reasoning as to why he never bothered to try to get good at guillotines in the gi but I forgot what it was.

One of my favorite things about jiu-jitsu is how so many people have so many different preferences. I really love guillotines in the gi but I know I'm in the minority. I like how the extra friction makes it harder to escape although I admit they are harder to get a clean bite on. Guillotines in the gi are some of my favorite techniques.I almost gave up on them in the gi but a few years ago Claudio Calasans had a BJJ Hacks video where he said he likes them even better gi than no-gi for the reasons I mentioned and so I stuck it out. Josh Hinger and Kron Gracie are also very sharp with them in gi so I watched them too.

Yeah it's the one choke Marcelo is famous for that he doesn't do much both gi and no-gi. I've seen him do a handful on his website over the years but not very many at all. With the north south and the rear naked he does those plenty in the gi. He gave reasoning as to why he never bothered to try to get good at guillotines in the gi but I forgot what it was.

Marcelo says that he doesn't do them because there's too much material in the way. I think the difference simply may be that the high elbow guillotine doesn't translate as well as the traditional Gracie style guillotine, which is how I do mine. However, I recall Marcelo explaining that the way to do a good N/S choke in the gi is to get good at doing them no gi, which means you memorize the right placement because you won't really be able to adjust based on feel in the gi. To me, it's the same thing with guillotines in the gi.

I still remember when I was a kid and my first guillotine lesson involved stretching the guy out away from you with you legs to finish the choke.

I rarely ever get guillotines as well, even though I think they're a great move. For the past year I have preferred staying in the front headlock and transitioning between the darce, anaconda, and arm across guillotine. At the moment, I prefer sacrificing finishing power of the guillotine for the control that front head lock offers.

Aside - It's a shame we can only live one life and that our youth is so short. It would take many lifetimes to do everything there is to do in bjj.

My neck says: ''If you don't do guillotines you're a good fella''

I am a long tooth brown who can't arm bar from the guard. I could do it as a white and blue.........

So much fail.......

Count me in with Cash Bill and Marcelo! I'm a black belt as well, and I don't guillotine in the gi. In MMA and No-Gi, guillotines are my primary sub - high-elbow, 10 finger, 5 finger, arm-in, 5-finger mounted, what have you. Guillotine all day, every day. But I can't tell you the last time I even attempted a guillotine in the gi. I guess if I had to go for one, I'd go arm-in with the oblique-crunch type of finish that Renzo uses - I have short arms and a somewhat stocky build (5'10" 185-190 lbs), and that's my best finish when my hand positioning is less than optimal. And with all that fabric in the way of my T-Rex arms, I'm going to assume I'll be dealing with a less-than-optimal grip placement.

like them but usually use them more to get other moves, thing is in some "No Gi " tournaments the technique has been banned.

Guillotine is my number one submission. Gi or no-gi. The key for me is the chin strap to control the head and just attack the neck. Arm in guillotines get weird and it can be hard to tell if it’s sunk. With the chin strap you usually know right away if you have the right angle. I’m a hobbyist black belt but I’ve caught black belt mundial medalists with it.

Back