BJ's still got some fight In him

I'm having a hard time coming up with a fight he could win in the UFC. Maybe bring back the guy Mickey Gall beat in his first fight.

he might be the most washed up 38 year old in ufc history tbh.

Bj should fight Fedor .. I'm serious it would be a good fight... BJ could eat what he wants,
And Fedors chin could get a break

I thought he looked pretty good for 38. Jab was there, his boxing was still sorta there..although a little more sloppy.

I think conditioning was the biggest factor In this fight. He was just DEAD In that 3rd round, gas tank was gone.

I'd like to see him In there again with some less kick heavy opponents with awkward styles tbh.

but ya, he's still got some fight In him. Nice to see at least. Warrior till the end

Nope, that confirms it. It's over, and I always had patience. BJ has had enough time to work on his conditions, he simply doesn't have it anymore. The lack of conditioning cost him where as before you could blame the matchmaking. if the 3rd round didn't happen - BJ would have the redemption of winning a round and getting a knockdown. The 3rd round was more of BJ gassing rather than Siver's output. This time BJ clearly beat BJ, not his opponent beating BJ.

I once read an awesome book on Ted Williams, where it was mentioned that in his last year, he basically didn't work out, but that the sum contributions of his previous 20 years of intense work allowed him to play at age 40 at a pretty damn high level (OPS+ 190).

If BJ had worked harder earlier in life, I have no doubt his decline would have been a lot more graceful.

Penn should retire asap. Its getting emberassing

Seriously. Who seriously thinks he still has some fight left in him? Did you see the Yair Rodriguez fight? Or the Frankie Edgar fight.

By what pitiful standard is Penn in the mix? Yeah I suppose he can walk and throw some punches and beat-up everyone on this board. But in the UFC he's scratching the bottom of the barrel.

Sure he did. Other than the 3rd round It was a close fight. Even the first was somewhat close.

His conditioning wasn't up to par but he showed he's still got some fight left In him for a 38 year old.
Can't tell if srs.

They both clearly looked terrible.

Other than the 3rd round It was a close fight. Even the first was somewhat close.
And it shouldn't have been. That's the problem. Penn will soon be approaching Shammy levels of legacy tarnishing. Getting beat by some fat guy who's most dangerous technique is an awkward diveroll.

BJ has had too many disappointing performances in recent times. This is his 5th one in a row. I have no interest in seeing him fight at this point.

think people are being a little too blinded by teh 3rd round.

If you were to judge whether his performance exclusively on that round then sure, he needs to retire asap.

He had nothing left In the tank

He didn't look all that bad during the rest of the fight though. It was a close fight up until then.

He looked decent enough that I still think he has 1-2 fights left In him. Obviously not top 10 guys or anything.

To the death.

Next fight, 40 year old Andy Wang in a phone booth.

Nah, even after all his Marinovich training he still was gassed by the 3rd.

You can only get by on beer and hot dogs for so long before that shit catches up with you.
WAT!!? HOW LONG DO I HAVE!?

He looked better and more prepared to fight. Being more consistent obviously helped. With that said he should retire.

He brought in marinovich but did his camp in hilo - nothing has changed.

He needed to leave his comfort zone and go to a proper gym and be pushed.

This was not surprising.

Is he broke? I cannot see why he keeps coming back. You know you're done when you cannot be a dennis siver who is old, slow and on his way out.

I once read an awesome book on Ted Williams, where it was mentioned that in his last year, he basically didn't work out, but that the sum contributions of his previous 20 years of intense work allowed him to play at age 40 at a pretty damn high level (OPS+ 190).

If BJ had worked harder earlier in life, I have no doubt his decline would have been a lot more graceful.
Ted Williams the baseball player? Baseball is standing around for three hours and swinging a stick once every 30 minutes.

well the day he realizes his not floyd he might have a shot at beating someone inside the top 20...

They should do an Ultimate Fighter but with people who have never fought or done anything athletic before. Winner gets to fight BJ Penn.

Penn is going back to lightweight. Hes going to go on a run trust me he will be as motivated as ever. He was never a good featherweight or welterweight. He's gonna tear up a new one in that lightweight division !!

Back