Bjj whitebelt 2 years still suck

I agree with this. My coach, as much as I like him, just doesn't
give me enough feedback on what I do wrong during rolls. I still have a hard time recovering from certain pins and my transition game is lacking.

I had to learn using other means like joining online sites and rolling with other teams. I think I've improved a bit and I'm starting to find what works for me.

you ahve to remember that in a bjj class, your coach is not the only coach for you in the room. rollling with higer belts is normally where you get most of the learning, but you need to ask, some might not be the most friendly ones, but some will glady help you out.

This is pretty shocking to me. I've only been to BJJ class a few times so I can't judge from experience. I spent less than a year in Judo before that (5 days / week) and Thursday was the ne-waza day. We would drill getting into positions, holds and possible submissions from there. Their complexity was adjusted based on the belts. Blackbelts would also help newbies and point out better ways of doing stuff. I learned a lot in that time, used it later on in sparring and still remember most of it.

Isn't that how it's supposed to be? In BJJ class is there no teaching? Do you just roll the entire class?

How are you giving advice/telling him he sucks horribly when you've only been to a few lessons?

To the OP, 2 years a white belt isn't unheard of, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's not uncommon particularly if someone trains once/twice a week or just goes to classes and doesn't do any instructionals etc..

I really love your point of view on the matter. My gym is very strong on sparring wich means that there's less time for techniques. The coach also seem to want the blue belts and purple belts to learn new stuff even in the beginners' class. For an exemple, on the last begginers class, we learned a variant of the scissor sweep, when a lot of white belts can't even do a scissor sweep and a complex north south lapel choke. I was with a girl in her first month at the gym and she had no clue what was going on.

So when the ''first class'' started a couple years ago, everybody was learning the basics at the same time. The new folks are basically entering the curriculum ''mid-semester''.

I'm lucky that I was very much into the sport before going there and that I had some basics from my MMA class where we really learned the basics (like shrimping for getting out of side mount ;)).

I also watch a lot of videos. I rarely go from scratch on something that I have never seen in class but I take a subject about what happened in sparring or about a technique we learned and just go from there.

I still go to my MMA grappling class where we spend most of the time on drilling the basics and it always help me out for my BJJ sparrings

When you think about it, Gracie academy/ university gets a lot of shit for their combative stuff and the no sparring in the first year, but at least they get the basics right. From what I've heard Gracie Barra is also very strong on the curriculum and what you should know before getting promoted, I don't know if it's spread across the 400 schools but I heard it's that way in my area. But it doesn't mean that they will teach you the basic, just that you won't get promoted if you don't have them.
I had to spar 5 times for 5 minutes my first ever class. It was like I was a human ragdoll for everyone being graded i made some friends that day and started going more. I did mauy thai before and nobody at my gym trains both except me and another 2 guys who are out with injuries.

Also for TS, try a 20 minute run 3x a week to build more stamina. You can throw in sprints for explosiveness.

I find powerlifting/ strongman is the way to go if you need to add strength.

How are you giving advice/telling him he sucks horribly when you've only been to a few lessons?

To the OP, 2 years a white belt isn't unheard of, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's not uncommon particularly if someone trains once/twice a week or just goes to classes and doesn't do any instructionals etc..
Yeah, my bad, now I know it's different in BJJ, sorry.

Lechien, in your schooll you still start sparring standing, right? How do you deal with students with knee issues, or the not-so-young ones, since takedowns and throws could be a bit rough for them?

I eat about 2-3 times a day, from1-10 on health meter foods are about 5-6
I thought you had already answered me earlier? Anyway, 2-3 times a day is not good enough. You should be eating small portions 5-6 times a day, at regular hours. And if anyone says that's impossible - well, I have a job and a family and hobbies and shit and that's how I eat.

I really think you have to be more consistent. Many people here are saying the same thing..just listen to them. Train 3x a week. Be flexible, whenever you can in the week..go at different times..but go. Taking time off is unacceptable, if you wanna get good, then come on here and complain about it. The buck stops with you. As much as your coach is saying "do more cardio", what he's probably really saying is..."show me some investment, and i'll invest back into you". This is a combat sport. There's some ego involved. Yes, we want to sit here and say coaches help everyone along...and for the most part they do..but if someone ain't putting out and showing loyalty to their training partners by being there a lot, or showing up to train..they're not gonna do shit for you in return!

I go 3x a week...during a busy week, 2x. I will admit, I'm fairly athletic..as I have been playing sports in some capacity since I was 5 years old, and played rugby at a D-1 collegiate level..but I'm a big guy. I started doing BJJ, i was about 278, 5'8". I'm about 245 now. Decreased body fat significantly. Now if my eating was on point..I would do even more. Cardio? Well honestly, you can run all you want...you're only going to get better at RUNNING. You have to drill more than you roll, in my opinion. I'm a 3-stripe white belt, starting in january. The more I slow it down, conserve my energy and not try to muscle people, the longer I last against guys like purple and brown belts. I may not win, but I also may not get choked out as easily.

I think I sucked for 3-4 years before I was "decent". Everyone learns at a different pace. There are ways to learn and progress faster though.

Lechien, in your schooll you still start sparring standing, right? How do you deal with students with knee issues, or the not-so-young ones, since takedowns and throws could be a bit rough for them?

Not really,

We either do tachiwaza which is fight to take down and everyone sparring us standing. As soonest you score a take down, you get up for safety reason.

Or we do newaza which is normal rolling.

I have heaps of guys that dont do tachiwaza.

Shocked and at the same time, in agreement with what i am seeing here.

STFU and train or take your pity party elsewhere.

In the 2 years I've probably taken about 11 months off altogether.

Hah dude, you only have 1 year experience spread thin over two years... Yeah you aren't going to be very good. A lot of people say "just train more..." some times you can't, I get it. But training should still be enjoyable. Just accept you can't train enough to hit the 2 years to blue belt mark. Who cares? Sherdoggers?

White belt getting heelhook by blue belt.

Wft!!!
I'm a white belt when I'm getting the better of a blue belt or I'm frustrating him by making it difficult for him to pass me or gain a good dominant position. The heel hooks start flying

Back