BJJ- What's REALLY effective and ineffective in a real street fight ?

Good post.

The mental gymnastics people go through to avoid standing grappling training are even worse than the dance grapplers do to avoid putting on gloves - while still acting like they are ready to fight. My old kick boxing club was full of people who would spar MMA with no takedown training at all. They'd lose a lot but they wouldn't ever go to the grappling class. Scary to watch.

Even if you're a total pussy like me, you can still arm drag people to tani otoshi or bait the osoto gari so you can counter throw them ;)

At least it lets you get your back dirty.
Hey, since I know you won't bullshit me lol. Did I give shitty advice or say something that wasn't realistic?

Don't get your panties in a wad, I honestly don't care at all what you're saying and didn't read past the first paragraph. Your advice has been complete shit so far and pretty worthless. I think you just have a Napoleon complex with how much of a special snowflake you are, since you said you were only 5'6".
Oh wait, you didn't read past the first paragraph.. yet my advice you didn't read is worthless.. hahaha. How about you grow up and read the whole thing

Hey, since I know you won't bullshit me lol. Did I give shitty advice or say something that wasn't realistic?

I only ever disagree with you on philosophy. I still look you up for nuts and bolts.

Taking the back seems like a no brainer if you can get there. But even untrained people will know what your trying to do and can tuck thier Chins in and avoid chokes long enough for s fight to end or restart

This is just ignorant. it's practically impossible to tuck the chin when you're allowed to lift the nose with your wrist bone or drop elbows on the back of the skull.

to the people saying you shouldnt shoot a double in concrete because you may hurt your knee... hmmm your in a sf with a dude whos willing to kick punch elbow soccer kick you, in the face, as hard as he can, and you worry about your knee hurting a bit... for fuck sakes, you are in a fight, yeah your probably going to hurt something, if it wasnt possible to shoot a double, then rugby players whouldnt exist. Yeah back to the old rugby thing, and just before anyone claims that rugby isnt played on concrete, you never been in a rugby field from a small club in a 3rd world country. its not as hard as concrete, but its pretty damn close...
what happened to staying on your feet and simply knocking the other guy out,just my preferred option when forced to defend myself as a doorman for over thirty years,ive trained in bjj,judo and Greco roman wrestling for over 10 years and have never taken somebody down,for sure it helps in the stand up grappling range I can normaly just over power them and turn them into a rear naked choke

This is just ignorant. it's practically impossible to tuck the chin when you're allowed to lift the nose with your wrist bone or drop elbows on the back of the skull.
or just apply the coke over the chin just as effective ,tuck your chin on your chest and see the difference in your breathing pattern here is a video of my Professor teaching the RNC to the chin

what happened to staying on your feet and simply knocking the other guy out,just my preferred option when forced to defend myself as a doorman for over thirty years,ive trained in bjj,judo and Greco roman wrestling for over 10 years and have never taken somebody down,for sure it helps in the stand up grappling range I can normaly just over power them and turn them into a rear naked choke
How did you guys subdue perps before LEO showed on scene?

U guys KO'd everyone who violated enough for arrest?

I've seen countless LEO and club security friends group TD's and pins for cuffing...

I worked operational security for an inner city shelter for years and I had to subdue plenty of assault perps with my squad before LEO arrived on scene.

Maybe handling drunks in your area is different than ex cons, dealers, strung users and violent mentally ill....

Interesting. Never thought about any of that because in bjj training you never even consider things like that.
or just apply the coke over the chin just as effective ,tuck your chin on your chest and see the difference in your breathing pattern here is a video of my Professor teaching the RNC to the chin

Dude this awesome. Thanks. It's little things like that that are so simple yet can make a big difference

Interesting. Never thought about any of that because in bjj training you never even consider things like that.

Dude this awesome. Thanks. It's little things like that that are so simple yet can make a big difference
well to be fair its not like Braulio is your run of the mill Black belt great person and a great professor

I've seen countless LEO and club security friends group TD's and pins for cuffing...

I worked operational security for an inner city shelter for years and I had to subdue plenty of assault perps with my squad before LEO arrived on scene.

Maybe handling drunks in your area is different than ex cons, dealers, strung users and violent mentally ill....
im from the Uk so dont understand what LEO is .Im not advocating you should go around knocking people out ,im just saying if its him or me then in every scenario its him.Over in the uk we have a self defence called Real Combat Systems were we teach our students 3 second fighting and the fence system all applicable to real life fight situations

im from the Uk so dont understand what LEO is .Im not advocating you should go around knocking people out ,im just saying if its him or me then in every scenario its him.Over in the uk we have a self defence called Real Combat Systems were we teach our students 3 second fighting and the fence system all applicable to real life fight situations

I live in southern California and self defense laws are crap. Even our professor emphasizes each and every day the best thing we need to use BJJ for is to hold someone down / tight until cops arrive. Anything else over here even in clear self defense and you could get in trouble.

It really does suck but I suppose it goes both ways

I live in southern California and self defense laws are crap. Even our professor emphasizes each and every day the best thing we need to use BJJ for is to hold someone down / tight until cops arrive. Anything else over here even in clear self defense and you could get in trouble.

It really does suck but I suppose it goes both ways
Yea i have seen your police in action and to be honest i wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of the law over ther

well, thats probably because you are a big ass dude. Anyways, nothing wrong with that, till you find someone bigger who can kick your ass standing. Aint obviously going to happen in a place where you bonce, but it could in a street altercation.

well, thats probably because you are a big ass dude. Anyways, nothing wrong with that, till you find someone bigger who can kick your ass standing. Aint obviously going to happen in a place where you bonce, but it could in a street altercation.
i Try and avoid confrontation if possible ,and in my years of working you normally find big ass dudes or even little dudes who train or compete in bjj mma ,ect are normally the quiet ones with nothing to prove.its the big ass muscle bound idiots who haven't got a fight in them that cause the trouble and fall over like skittle pins once tagged on the chin

Again, I shall ask, what advice is "complete shit", and you didn't read" the last paragraph because you are so convinced I'm just being a meanie that you're being a close minded bitch. For god's sake artard.. I'm agreeing with the guy you white knighted in the other thread

EDIT: grammar

this, my experience obviously wasn't on your level but yeah. The delusions people have is amazing

So given that you only listen if someone else said it too. What part of my advice is shit? I'm actually curious

I hear that a lot... arm drag to rnc. Even in training though this seems to only work on heavier guy to equal or smaller guy. Dragging a bigger guy seems to do the opposite
You can do it standing and size is less important. Pretend you're a stripper and their arm is the stripper pole. Just swing around behind them basically and the arm goes right under the chin.

I personally like gift wraps. Rickson did it in the beach fight against Duarte, and to Funaki. Gift wrap from technical mount is an incredibly dominant and demoralizing position. I use a gift wrap sweep from guard all the time. It's a good position to learn and play with, and I'm surprised it's not used in MMA more.

Shouldnt also have your shoulders hunched up too, and an arm blocking the neck? The chin tuck, and everything is just to buy you time, so you can enact escape from that position anyways.

If opponent wants to lift nose, one of opponent hands has to far enough out of position for you to grab. Therefore buying yourself more time, and options to enact more escapes, and change positions.

Back