BJJ Weightcut

Triangulation

Whitebelt
@White
Reaction score
Is it possible to get from 80kg to 74kg in 10 days? And what would be the best route to take in achieving this?

Sauna and/or epsom salt baths (multiple rounds). You could probably lose 1-2lbs in fat through dieting by that time, the rest will come from water. Unless the plan was to cut 13lbs to maintain a 13lb advantage of some sort.

Make sure you have enough time to recover and rehydrate thats more important than the cut itself imo. Thats about 6L to drink up, and 6h to accomplish that. Unless you're special and can absorb more than 1L/hr.

rub one out for the last weeeeeee bit

Sauna and/or epsom salt baths (multiple rounds). You could probably lose 1-2lbs in fat through dieting by that time, the rest will come from water. Unless the plan was to cut 13lbs to maintain a 13lb advantage of some sort.

Make sure you have enough time to recover and rehydrate thats more important than the cut itself imo. Thats about 6L to drink up, and 6h to accomplish that. Unless you're special and can absorb more than 1L/hr.

When should i be doing the sauna and epsom salts?

1-2 days out. You don't don't to be dehydrated too much before the event. So day of the weigh ins and the night before. If you don't care you can it all on the day of weigh-ins. I do not recommend that though.

I lose the same amount of kg for BJJ tourneys although I'm in the light feather so It's proportionately more. I just do IF during camp & no dinner the day before. Laxatives also helps. I even went 1.2 kg under.

1-2 days out. You don't don't to be dehydrated too much before the event. So day of the weigh ins and the night before. If you don't care you can it all on the day of weigh-ins. I do not recommend that though.
The weigh ins are on the same day

Is it possible to get from 80kg to 74kg in 10 days? And what would be the best route to take in achieving this?

You'd better figure out when your weigh-ins are. Most tourneys I've done have you weigh-in right before you step on the mat for your first match. You probably don't want to go the dehydration route if that's the case.

You'd better figure out when your weigh-ins are. Most tourneys I've done have you weigh-in right before you step on the mat for your first match. You probably don't want to go the dehydration route if that's the case.
Its weigh ins an hour before the division starts, but ill get there as soon as the place opens and get weighed in straight away if i can

No way I'd try to cut that much weight with day of weigh ins. With day in weigh ins I don't 'cut' weight, rather lose weight from diet and training - around 1kg per week, so still have plenty of energy on the day. But even then most I cut is about 5 kilos.

According to this thread you made:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/dropping-weight.3208683/#post-115026367

You were 82/83kg about 6 weeks ago. Why are you just now trying to get down to 73kg?

What is your diet currently like?

If you aren't really dieting much at all then I would suggest you fix it up a bit. Eat chicken, eggs, spinach, and other veggies without too much oils/salt/etc. (don't need to cut it out completely). Don't drink juice, sodas, alcohol etc. Since your weigh in is same day as the competition you don't want to do a water-cut, it'd probably be better to just lose the weight via semi-strict dieting and also probably should try to get in a 20 minute or so jog in the morning or couple hours before you train.

I went from 68kg to around 63kg in a 2 week span by pretty much eating eggs, chicken and spinach for lunch and the same thing for dinner (sometimes fish instead of chicken)

I jogged a little over a mile a few hours before practice. I upped my training sessions (probably added 2-3 training sessions) each week. After practice I'd drink a protein shake that was just protein powder mixed with some coconut water and regular water. I was only drinking coffee and water no sodas or juices or alcohol

I was very close to my weight limit so the last 2-3 days before the tournament i ate a protein bar for lunch. Still was eating the dinner mentioned above. I ended up making weight pretty easily with almost 1kg to spare (I was 1.5lbs under which i think is about a kg)

Last edited:
No way I'd try to cut that much weight with day of weigh ins. With day in weigh ins I don't 'cut' weight, rather lose weight from diet and training - around 1kg per week, so still have plenty of energy on the day. But even then most I cut is about 5 kilos.

I agree. For a same day or ibjjf style weigh in immediately prior to your first match, just diet down in a healthy manner ahead of time so you've got room to hydrate and have good breakfast to fuel you

For day prior weigh ins you could suck out some water weight but to my mind it's just not worth it. So many guys seem terrified to grapple with someone that may be slightly bigger than them, you hear so many people whine about "that guy was so big, can't believe he was in my weight class" kind of shit. Just seems like a really bad mentality for a competitor to have. You should be ready to go to war with whoever they stick on front of you and relish the challenge.

But what do I know, I'm far from a high level of competition. I'm sure top guys want to eke out every little advantage they can. But the typical sherdog/reddit "can I cut 15 pounds in a week" question is from a brand new competitor that has no need for that kind of nonsense

Cutting 6 kg of water and competing in a matter of hours? You gonna gas fast.

I agree with just eating as healthy as possible now, and only "cutting" if you have to. I'm not sure what your body fat % is, but hopefully you will be able to drop some weight quickly. Getting dehydrated right before a tournament, unless you are experienced is a quick way to gas out and feel like crap.

Back