BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

i dont understand why ppl think BJJ on the streets = armbars or subs??

i would just use it for position and then pound the crap outta the other guy.

Also, it depends on much the BJJ actually practices takedowns. If he has good takedowns he is gonna win a high % of the time IMO

TD > Side control > elbows > mount > headbutts > game over

btw, im talking 1v1 situation.

i dont understand why ppl think BJJ on the streets = armbars or subs??

Isnt it obvious? they dont train.

i would just use it for position and then pound the crap outta the other guy.

I wouldnt with adrenaline and anger you can easily fuck your hands up if you are not used to striking, i would just do a mean KOB then standup and kick.

Also, it depends on much the BJJ actually practices takedowns. If he has good takedowns he is gonna win a high % of the time IMO

Practicing takedowns =/= learning how to fight standup, its like saying drilling armbars is all you need to be good at BJJ.

TD > Side control > elbows > mount > headbutts > game over

Again, i doubt you realize that a MT fighter (thai rules) will have a pretty superior clinch work and that they are used to work from there, when was the last time you saw a clinch fight in BJJ?

btw, im talking 1v1 situation.

Same here, you dont want to grapple with strangers. As a judoka i would simply use judo to prevent someone from taking me down or grabbing me while i look for a weapon

I do both and would never regard my grappling as anything else than a worst case scenario hence I got to say MT. Though people forget that ANY MA will make you a great street fighter as street fighters are always random retards who think they are cool.

People who know how to fight hardly ever pick fights as they don't really think they are cool for beating some random guys ass.

So whatever MA is kinda "as good" as most of them will make you win.

Isnt it obvious? they dont train.

I wouldnt with adrenaline and anger you can easily fuck your hands up if you are not used to striking, i would just do a mean KOB then standup and kick.

Practicing takedowns =/= learning how to fight standup, its like saying drilling armbars is all you need to be good at BJJ.

Again, i doubt you realize that a MT fighter (thai rules) will have a pretty superior clinch work and that they are used to work from there, when was the last time you saw a clinch fight in BJJ?

Same here, you dont want to grapple with strangers. As a judoka i would simply use judo to prevent someone from taking me down or grabbing me while i look for a weapon

i would agree that a MT fighter would have a superior clinch but i wasnt advocating clinching with them. At my gym in No Gi will drill alot of singles, doubles, trips, throws etc

granted, ive only trained boxing and not MT. I do know alot of MT guys at my gym and they dont really train TDD or TDs much but do a couple trips etc

I think as i said in a 1v1 "fair" street fight if the BJJ fighter had above average TDs, he would be at a big advantage. But i also know alot of BJJ guys who dont train TDs at all, in my GI class we dont train TDs at all and i think in that situation the MT fighter would be at a big advantage.

I also think fighting in the street is retarded and i personally would avoid it at all costs in any scenario.

As usual, its comes down to the fighters more than the MAs they study. The better fighter will win.

ts, why are you worried about which is better in a street fight?

go to your local MMA gym, sign up, and start training. at an MMA school you'll learn boxing, kick boxing, muay thai, bjj, judo, wrestling, and you'll learn how to make it all work together.

i don't see what the problem is. :]

A fight or SD situation has so many variables, that both styles are ideal. Which is why one should train for use of both. Your in a bar, a guy takes a swing at, you back up avoiding the blow and trip on your bar stool. Punk tries to take advantage of you on your back, guess what, you BJJ would be ideal for that situation.

It depends on the situation when and where what skill would dictate being used. Training in MMA, helps to be better prepared for a wider ranger of scenarios.

Ive trained both but certainly more MT than BJJ. My belief is that its MUCH different being on the ground in the gym/mat as opposed to concrete or asphalt. Use MT and stay clean and upright during a street fight.

This thread makes me happy I train at

The Wat-Phil Nurse

And at The Marcelo Garcia academy

Are you cereal?!

:0

You made my day, awesome troll job.

You also made my afternoon! You are very stupid, tell us why BBJ is a more resourceful art than MT!
Kick Boxing is not MT, its a variant of MT used in K-1 and other competitions, that are not THAI based.
When you are talking about MT you have to know all the techniques my friend, and understand the dangerous prohibited skills avoided in competitions, for their mortal outcomes (they are many)
MT is not Kick boxing. MT is a thousand year art, and has plenty of death, techniques. So assuming you get in a street fight, you must finish your opponents fast, if this are many. Elbow combinations will do that quick.

Training BJJ for the street is GREAT
Using ONLY BJJ or relying on the "textbook BJJ gameplan" (takedown, hold position, mount) is NOT

Here's a few BJJ skills that will save your ass on the street
Standing Guillotine Choke
Standing Rear Naked Choke
Knee on Belly Position
Technical Standup
Hook Sweep vs standing opponent

As for choosing between Muay Thai and BJJ...who says you have to choose one?

I understand that a self defense strategy should rely on more than "takedown, hold postion, mount" but I think, along with punch until they quit, give your the arm, give you the back, that is a proven pretty good strategy for a one on one fight. Heck, I think it is still the best BJJ strategy for MMA. Being able get to and hold dominant position on an opponent, using that to finish them, to me that is the heart of BJJ and why it is the best art for unarmed fighting

90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

the only problem with this idea in a street fight is if he isnt alone. last thing i wanna do is be trying to choke a guy out or break his arm on the ground when his buddy runs up and soccer kicks me in the head.

I agree knowing what to do on the ground is a huge plus, but i wouldnt wanna stay on the ground any longer that it takes to get back up.

IMO i think muay thai would be better for the majority (its served me well in my experience at least, but like i said knowing some ground will be a plus), clinch a guy and knee him in the face or smash his face with an elbow they wont wanna come back, if they arent asleep or can even see at that point

I think a Taser would be easier and the best. If he wants to fight standing up you hit him with the Taser. After he falls down you take full mount or the back, depending on how he falls.

MT any day honestly. BJJ is nice and all but most real world situations occur with someone who doesn't know what they're doing and usually they have friends. If they don't know what they are doing they sure as hell aren't going to know how to "close the gap" on a striker. MT would shred any untrained person any day of the week.

One of my friends said to me the other day "Doesn't matter how much you've trained in a street fight you put your head down and swing for the fences" he has had no training. All my other friends agreed with him (about 14 of them). I see that as general population. Put your head down in front of me and I'm going to be kneeing the hell out of your face, not bothering to put them to the ground while their friends find a weapon.

MT any day honestly. BJJ is nice and all but most real world situations occur with someone who doesn't know what they're doing and usually they have friends. If they don't know what they are doing they sure as hell aren't going to know how to "close the gap" on a striker. MT would shred any untrained person any day of the week.

One of my friends said to me the other day "Doesn't matter how much you've trained in a street fight you put your head down and swing for the fences" he has had no training. All my other friends agreed with him (about 14 of them). I see that as general population. Put your head down in front of me and I'm going to be kneeing the hell out of your face, not bothering to put them to the ground while their friends find a weapon.

I totally agree. I would just use my karate skills to knock his butt out. He charges me with his head down I would do one of two things. Option #1: Front snap kick to face, to get his head up, and a devastating thrust punch to the face to end it. Option #2: side step his charge, side snap kick to midsection, to keep him hunched over, axe kick to back of head to end it.

I think a Taser would be easier and the best. If he wants to fight standing up you hit him with the Taser. After he falls down you take full mount or the back, depending on how he falls.

I hate my Taser. Last 4 officers at my department who used theirs had failures. They have a tendency to catch loose outer clothing and fail to deliver a shock.

^^Tazer em' in the face then! Problem solved.

My vote is Muay Thai any day of the week. You learn everything to include standing grappling. If you can control someone so that they can't take you down, you'll be able to do what you need to do and get out of dodge.

However, I agree with the second post or so...Judo for the win. You toss someone on their head on the hard floor or concrete, and they're not getting up.

I totally agree. I would just use my karate skills to knock his butt out. He charges me with his head down I would do one of two things. Option #1: Front snap kick to face, to get his head up, and a devastating thrust punch to the face to end it. Option #2: side step his charge, side snap kick to midsection, to keep him hunched over, axe kick to back of head to end it.

necro bump!

anyways, I woud I would I would I would... thats the problem with striking arts, not that they dont work, its just most of the times, a brawl ends in a brawl, if the guy is much bigger than you, and just tries to tackle you, wtf are you going to do? you will knee hin the face while charging? much easier to say than do it...

1vs1 its is not even upto debate, most of the times the grappler wins, in a street fight, with friends involve? who ever has more friends will win, pretty simple...

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

I can come up with scenarios all day long where bjj>mt or mt>bjj but its all relative to the situation. In the scenario you presented, either would be just as effective because its 1 dude who probably knows nothing. TKD or anything else would also probably be really effective against that dude. Trained person vs not trained person usually goes to the trained person...or i would give them better odds.

If there are multiple opponents or weapons, no MA is good. Running shoes are probably a better form of self defense in that situation. or even having more friends or bigger guns:)

Now onto the other points people bring up? Do most fights go to the ground? yea when people have no idea what they are doing. If you know MT, you can probably knock the dude out before that happens. If you know bjj you will let it happen and end it there. If I could only know one though I would choose bjj because I am a smaller guy who is not going to be able to knock out a 225 pound dude but i have a much better chance of choking him out.

My vote is Muay Thai any day of the week. You learn everything to include standing grappling. If you can control someone so that they can't take you down, you'll be able to do what you need to do and get out of dodge.

This depends on the situation. If a dude that is 100 pounds heavier than me wants to take the fight to the ground I am going to have a tough time stopping that, especially if I am in a confined space or I am attacked from the back, etc.

Now if you were a college wrestler, than yes I would be more confident you could defend the takedown but that is not the focus in MT.

Back