BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

So does pretty much the whole grappling forum agree Judo is best for the streets? Judo comes up alot in self defense threads here. My cousin told me hes starting Judo on Monday and Im thinking about going with him to check it out.

So does pretty much the whole grappling forum agree Judo is best for the streets? Judo comes up alot in self defense threads here. My cousin told me hes starting Judo on Monday and Im thinking about going with him to check it out.

judo is jiu jitsu so yeah do it, you'll just be more saavy with your throws than u will your ground game, now judo/muy thai, that is a man u dont wanna clinch, i like this combo in the ufc 09 game

whether u train judo or jiu jitsu, u will learn the same fundamentals

Give it a try.

Calling it the best for street is an overstatement.

judo is jiu jitsu
whether u train judo or jiu jitsu, u will learn the same fundamentals

Oh boy, you just open a can of worm.

Judo teaches people that they can win a fight by a single throw.

Jiu Jitsu teaches people to win a fight via submission or via dominant position.

I don't know if there is a "best". Some work better in certain situations.

But judo, wrestling, boxing, mt all would be great and you can be confident you would do fine in a fight. I don't like the idea of training for that purpose, but to each their own.

Jiu Jitsu teaches people to win a fight via submission or via dominant position.

yeah i agree, different philosophies on fighting that utilize the same fundamentals

base, hips, leverage, etc.

MT unless you are attacked by ONE bad guy and you're standing in grass, lol

not true. alot of times they will transition to a choke if it's available, ala koga.

I forgot to say in my other post that I like Judo cause its a lot cheaper than BJJ. I already pay a lot for Muay Thai and I cant keep putting so much money into this stuff.

qft!!! plus you will do some bjj in judo during newaza as well.

I don't agree many judokas struggle to throw heavy guys in the street, wrestling and bjj both own judo.

Huh ? You really don't do the intenet any credit.

That does not make sense. You clearly have no experiance in grappling. Let's get one thing straight, Wrestling = Judo. The moves are the same. I've done Freestyle Wrestling for 11 years now and have just taken up Judo. I can attest to this. I can also attest to the fact that a trained Judo player is a lethal wepon. At my Judo club we have 15 year olds who weigh 60kg. These kids throw around fullly grown men like toys all the time. I'm not kidding. I saw one guy getting nailed with Osoto Gari last night and thought he didn't get up in a hurry. Now the guy who got nailed weighs about 95kg, has a good level of fitness and has about 1 years worth of Judo under his belt (no pun intended). Just imagine what that 15 year old kid would do to an untrained attacker.

As for BJJ, well, BJJ is based on Judo. Technically, all the moves you find in BJJ, you will find in Judo. The difference is BJJ guys specialize in ground fighting. Groundfighting and submissions are it's focus. Nothing wrong with that but if Judo is too good for you, how come I don't see you on the Olympic Squad.

not true. alot of times they will transition to a choke if it's available, ala koga.

Why would you want to do a transition to a choke if you won your Judo fight via a throw? Won't the judo fight stop?

Why would you want to do a transition to a choke if you won your Judo fight via a throw? Won't the judo fight stop?

both shoulders touch ground after throw, thats how rickson lost to ron tripp

woh that was weird, after "rickson" if u type the word "lost" your brain scrambles a little

I'm no Judo expert by any means (and based on your sig, I'm surprised I'm explaining this at all), but I'm sure you've heard of newaza. Not every throw is an ippon, at which point the subs are fair game.

Watch koga use a choke to finish an opponent in high level international competition after the throw at 1:29.

Huh ? You really don't do the intenet any credit.

That does not make sense. You clearly have no experiance in grappling. Let's get one thing straight, Wrestling = Judo. The moves are the same. I've done Freestyle Wrestling for 11 years now and have just taken up Judo. I can attest to this. I can also attest to the fact that a trained Judo player is a lethal wepon. At my Judo club we have 15 year olds who weigh 60kg. These kids throw around fullly grown men like toys all the time. I'm not kidding. I saw one guy getting nailed with Osoto Gari last night and thought he didn't get up in a hurry. Now the guy who got nailed weighs about 95kg, has a good level of fitness and has about 1 years worth of Judo under his belt (no pun intended). Just imagine what that 15 year old kid would do to an untrained attacker.

As for BJJ, well, BJJ is based on Judo. Technically, all the moves you find in BJJ, you will find in Judo. The difference is BJJ guys specialize in ground fighting. Groundfighting and submissions are it's focus. Nothing wrong with that but if Judo is too good for you, how come I don't see you on the Olympic Squad.

wrestling=judo??? in what freaking world??? no gi judo?? lol.. yeah right... like I said 100 times, we can keep getting black belts in judo to our gym, and they are schoool at rolling by blue belts.. yes they have absolutly no problem putting our asses on the ground, so freaking what? I love to be there.... And judokas do have a hard time throwing heavier ppl around, specially when they are not wearing gis... there is a reason bjj is waaaaaay superior to judo in MMA, theres only a few judocas that actually made it with his judo, jitzers... all the freaking time....

Now, its true about most original techniques from bjj come from judo, well, bjj has evolved, and now the jitzers arsenal is much bigger... but like you said, we kick judokas asses on the ground, simple because we spend most of out training on the ground, and ne waza (or how is spell) my ass, we own them too (and please dont bring yoshida vs royce, royce wasnt even close to be the best gracie, while yoshida was a olimpic freaking medallist)...

I'm no Judo expert by any means (and based on your sig, I'm surprised I'm explaining this at all), but I'm sure you've heard of newaza. Not every throw is an ippon, at which point the subs are fair game.

Watch koga use a choke to finish an opponent in high level international competition after the throw at 1:29.

I never said that Judo do not do newaza.

I just said that in Judo, you train to finish the fight by ippon i.e a single throw.

Don't know why you getting all edgy!

wrestling=judo??? in what freaking world???

earth.

yes they have absolutly no problem putting our asses on the ground, so freaking what? I love to be there....

you like getting thrown on your dome on the street? lol. ok. you don't want to be on your back at all on the street, let alone after your grey matter has spilled into the sewer.

And judokas do have a hard time throwing heavier ppl around, specially when they are not wearing gis...

a few tweaks for no gi, and you have some nice wrestling throws that will work in those situations.

there is a reason bjj is waaaaaay superior to judo in MMA

ugh. you can't use bjj unless you can get the fight to the ground. there are no more pure jitzers in mma. even maia.

its true about most original techniques from bjj come from judo

/thread????....

Back