Bjj vs Judo training mix - your thoughts please

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this for a while, but not sure what the best approach is.

I cannot commit to more than 3 sessions per week at my academy because of work and home commitments (and also my body can't take more than that without risk of burnout I reckon).

Currently I do Bjj 3 times a week. Am considering replacing one of those sessions with one Judo class a week.

This will help my takedowns for both competition and self-defence - adding a standing element to my game.

However, I am nervous my current steady Bjj progress will come to a crawl, and so will whatever Judo I pick up (ie by spreading myself too thin, I will not be doing justice to either art).

What would you do - stick with Bjj 3X a week or replace one session with Judo?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have bad knees so am terrified at the prospect of getting another ACL injury, so if Judo increases the risk I will likely stay away!

Last edited:
Well you could try siwtching to Judo for a while and see if you learn anything there? If it hinders your progress you can always go back. You could also try to ask if your training partners in BJJ would like to drill takedowns and stand up grappling after class?

judo really helped me when my bjj progress was going stagnant. bonus if you find someone with good newaza. good judo newaza added into bjj can make things interesting.

Judo is notorious for knee injuries, and you need a ton of practice to become functionally proficient.

Not only that, Judo will wreck your body with falling/throwing until you're acclimated. Again, this is a function of frequency and age.

If you want to learn takedowns for BJJ you're better off learning wrestling concepts, and even then you're gonna be super wary of shooting to your knee.

If you're already that beat up, pull guard and try sit-up singles or sweeps.

Just talk to your coach, if you're already happy with your bjj progress right now, there have to be some judo/wrestlers that go to your bjj gym.

Depends on how good your coach is for either.

One problem with Judo is that the curriculum is not very well broken down like BJJ is. IMO a lot of time can be wasted.

Back