BJJ Veterans: do some people just never get any good ?

Sooo is this thread really about whether or not you can get better if you actually put in the work.. or just older people like TS frustrated about younger and more athletic people doing 'better', because that should be your goal as middle aged hobbyist... comparing yourself to the young guys.. ugh

So it's frustration about basic biology and evolution?? I'm actually genuinely asking... I mean, I know I can be caustic but still

Sooo is this thread really about whether or not you can get better if you actually put in the work.. or just older people like TS frustrated about younger and more athletic people doing 'better', because that should be your goal as middle aged hobbyist... comparing yourself to the young guys.. ugh

So it's frustration about basic biology and evolution?? I'm actually genuinely asking... I mean, I know I can be caustic but still

I guess the thread is all manner of things to different people. I personally know that I can and will get better, but I'm certainly not going to progress at the rate of the 17 year olds at the gym with whom I'm competing. Does this make me one of the guys who just doesn't seem to get it? I hope not, but meh either way.

I guess the thread is all manner of things to different people. I personally know that I can and will get better, but I'm certainly not going to progress at the rate of the 17 year olds at the gym with whom I'm competing. Does this make me one of the guys who just doesn't seem to get it? I hope not, but meh either way.
No I actually was not referring to you, sorry for the miscommunication. Just a general vibe some people the TS among them seem to have

Interesting thread. I'm a 45 year old blue belt, very invested in BJJ but having a tough tough time with a couple of new, very young white belts. It's demoralizing to have to fight so hard just to stalemate with guys who haven't been training very long. But what can you do? Swallow your pride and push ahead...

the problem is that you started way too late. it will be story of your life, young people will improve way faster than what you will, so forget about your belt, your human, it sucks, bjj is a beutiful art, but aint no magic.

This is a tough one because "good" isn't defined. It is definitely possible to have people that train consistently for years that never get to average(for their age) Blue belt level but part of that the school's fault. I do think that at many schools where it is next to impossible not to improve if you train consistently and do what the instructor says. I've trained with really uncoordinated and/or really forgetful students that I thought would never be upper beginner level that stuck with it and got decent. 2 months in is not a good evaluation at all either.

If I started training basket ball today, how long until I'm in the NBA.

I've been training and competing regularly for 10 years come this September, and I still suck.

My 6th degree bb professor swears on the mantra that in his 30 years of teaching BJJ, consistency and training overcomes any talent. He swears he has never seen a person, no matter age , size , gender or athleticism NOT become good at bjj if he or she trains consistently (i.e at least 3 times a week for years).

However just after he said that speech I saw a new blue belt get chocked out by a brand new 2 months white belt in about 3 minutes. The bb is a bit older and not in great shape, but he trains about 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 years now.

Is what my professor says true? He is very experienced and has been teaching for 30 years... or is it just a marketing ploy ?

Mainly interested in responses from experienced bjj guys
I guess 2 years is too long for you?

I train with an out of shape guy, very big and slow. I can easily submit him in sparring, in a normal class he will be dominated by 5 out of 6 guys and most of them have a couple months to a year less than him in experience. Most of the new guys are young and in shape (or at least non-fat).

But in the technique part, he's very useful to anybody who will train with him, he's really devoted and he's technically sound.

I really think he gets better but he has confidence issues and a very huge gap in speed, flexibility and stamina so I don't think he's gonna look better anytime soon.

When you look at it, this guy now has more than enough tools to defend himself against the 99% of the population that can't grapple and he has a great time training and learning a couple times a week.

some people just can't let go of old mental roadblocks and keep doing it over and over... whether its spazz, improperly learned technique, or not trying things differently/as suggested

The biggest thing I notice when someone isn't learning is that they don't do any techniques, they just hold on or push away, scramble or whatever.
But they don't do anything they learned.
You see a guy trying to pass guard but if you stopped him and said "which pass is that? show me the steps", he'd be like uhhhhhh

I train with an out of shape guy, very big and slow. I can easily submit him in sparring, in a normal class he will be dominated by 5 out of 6 guys and most of them have a couple months to a year less than him in experience. Most of the new guys are young and in shape (or at least non-fat).

But in the technique part, he's very useful to anybody who will train with him, he's really devoted and he's technically sound.

I really think he gets better but he has confidence issues and a very huge gap in speed, flexibility and stamina so I don't think he's gonna look better anytime soon.

When you look at it, this guy now has more than enough tools to defend himself against the 99% of the population that can't grapple and he has a great time training and learning a couple times a week.

This sounds like me lol. I got much better but still not as good as in shape guys. Being in shape counts a lot because you can do things easier and have much better stamina/endurance (usually).

I'm short 5'5" and chubby 185 and have cardio/energy issues because of being out of shape(plus thyroid problem). I can handle people who don't train fine (I like to think so) but people who train and in normal/good shape beat me easily.

The only people who are fat/chubby who do well in training are usually taller...5'8 and up. They can get away with being out of shape because they have a naturally large frame which is hard to move and they usually have more strength.

This sounds like me lol. I got much better but still not as good as in shape guys. Being in shape counts a lot because you can do things easier and have much better stamina/endurance (usually).

I'm short 5'5" and chubby 185 and have cardio/energy issues because of being out of shape(plus thyroid problem). I can handle people who don't train fine (I like to think so) but people who train and in normal/good shape beat me easily.

The only people who are fat/chubby who do well in training are usually taller...5'8 and up. They can get away with being out of shape because they have a naturally large frame which is hard to move and they usually have more strength.

And I really hope that you are in a place where you will continue to progress and where you're gonna get promoted on your knowledge and devotion. I truly believe that guys like you are progressing skillwise but rarely enough to show it against an inshape and agressive alphamales.

Everyone can improve. At almost anything in fact. I could start playing basketball tomorrow, and improve steadily over the years. I could even get to the point where I enjoyed playing, and find some rec league that would take me. And that's a pretty useful definition of good.

However, if the definition of good is 'play in the NBA', then I'd never be 'good'. Nor would most people. But that's not a useful definition for a hobby.

Now substitute in 'BJJ' for 'basketball'. You will certainly improve. You'll certainly get to the point where you enjoy it, where you can roll and have competitive fun with others at your level. More than that, well no guarantees.

I've been a brand new white belt for 10 years..... I love to choke out blues.

At the end of the day as long as you have fun that's all which matter.. most people improve at a normal rate but you will have a few that will always struggle and a few that will be over talented.. its basicaly the case for everything..
but at the end you dont have to be good to enjoy something

The biggest thing I notice when someone isn't learning is that they don't do any techniques, they just hold on or push away, scramble or whatever.
But they don't do anything they learned.
You see a guy trying to pass guard but if you stopped him and said "which pass is that? show me the steps", he'd be like uhhhhhh

I feel like I see this more than physical limitations with old people that suck. Tons of old men get too stubborn to learn anything new. They'll try the same technique over and over again and never add anything new to their toolbox, so when their one technique doesn't work they'll just try it again.

Back