BJJ Training/Conditioning

sshah0930

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting here. I am currently a white belt. I train BJJ 5x/week and lift weights 4x/week (heavy weight, low reps). I am looking to start competing soon and been told by few guys at the gym to focus on cardio if i am looking to actively compete. Past couple weeks I started adding 1x/week long distance cycling (gone up to 10 miles distance) and 1x/week of HIIT sprints (30 secs sprint/30 secs rest for 10 rounds).

Weekly Training Overview :
- 5x BJJ
- 4x Weight Lifting
- 1x Long distance cycling (10 miles)
- 1x HIIT sprint training (30s on / 30s off, 10 rounds)

I have been doing this for about 3 weeks and don't feel like i am over straining my body.

I added the extra cardio because i wasn't sure if doing bjj 5x a week was enough for competition level cardio. Is this too much, not enough, or just right?

Thanks

Try searching and picking from the millions of threads already on this topic.

Or better yet, the FAQs and stickied threads have organized and filtered everything you need to know in order to answer your question!

How long can you run without getting winded?

When you roll do you get winded first, or do your muscles wear out first?

What strength training program are you following? What are your strength levels? Why are you lifting 4 times a week?

What do you weigh?

If you can do all that without feeling strained, why stop? It's your body, listen to it.

Competing is the best way to get used to competing. Even a workhorse will get tired when they experience their first adrenaline dump. If anything make sure you compete at a smaller venue to ramp into whatever your goal competition is.

What are your current strengths and weaknesses?

How's your aerobic system? Do you know your 1.5 mile or 5k time?

How's your max-strength? How much do you squat and bench?

Strength-Endurance? Max # of push-ups, pull-ups etc?

Work on your aerobic system, maximal-strength and muscular endurance. Work capacity. Above all do lots of BJJ.

Research aerobic base building too.

Try searching and picking from the millions of threads already on this topic.

Or better yet, the FAQs and stickied threads have organized and filtered everything you need to know in order to answer your question!
Tbh the faqs don't really fully tell you how to make your own program if it did we wouldn't get all these threads

- 1x Long distance cycling (10 miles)

Is that a typo? 10 miles isn't a long distance on a bike. It's not even really a long distance for a run- at least for anyone who actually runs.

Back