BJJ Supplemental Training Question

Semper Barta

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am sure this is a fairly common question on the boards so please excuse my laziness for not digging through threads to find an answer.

I know nothing beats mat time in BJJ but with the demands of work, school and multiple kids I am finding it harder and harder to make it to anything more than 3 hours a week to train and am looking for additional ways to keep my mind and body progressing. I try and supplement this lack of time with videos at work and when I do get the opportunity to work out in my garage at night I try to incorporate some basic techniques that I kind of mime / talk myself through as I do the body motion, along with snake drills, hip escapes, etc.

My question is:

1) While nothing beats mat time - Are these still effective ways to train your mind and body and keep it prepared when you aren't able to get to a class (especially watching tutorials)?

and

2) If they, what is a reasonable amount of time spent with these activities where it would actually be beneficial in addition to the 3 hours I get actually rolling?

I know this is likely subjective and there is likely to be varying responses and results, but I am just curious to hear how others manage lack of training time.

I don't do much else. I do a hot yoga class (~1 per week) outside of jiu jitsu. I have found that it helps with flexibility. It also helps with staying calm while under pressure and breathing.

In an ideal world, I'd love to spend more time on strength training during the fall and winter (deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, presses, cleans etc). And, spend time on my cardio in the spring with kettlebell swings and long runs.

For now, I'm doing a bit of yoga. Good luck.

I think the best thing to do is to find a DVD on a position you are interested in, and try to watch one move per day on the days when you do not train. This is what I try to do. Trying to work mat drills by yourself, probably won't get you much benefit. A more productive use of time would be to put some techniques into your head that nobody else at your school will know.

Back