BJJ STREET: Street Ezekiel / Poppa-zekiel :)

Not that I doubt that this technique would be effective but if the guys decides to headbutt aren't you screwed? Or do you have enough control with the right arm behind the head?

You have more than enough control with your arm behind head and with your head pressed firmly against his. His neck/head in completely encircled by your arm and head giving him no room to get any momentum.

You have this control until you slip the choking hand in front of his neck..then when you extend your arms...you are pushing him away from you and the muscular strength of two arms should be enough to keep him from head butting you until you fully extend your arms and the structural strength of your straightened arm kicks in. :)

dude! that's dope, i honestly expected you to be biting off somebody else or just do the standard nogi ezekiel but that was so simple yet blew my mind. RESPECT!!

(i watched with no audio at work so my following question may have been answered) My only concern is when you release the overhook to start bunching the shirt up, what are you doing to maintain control, are you just pulling legs in while keeping control over the neck? Releasing that overhook for the few seconds is the only hole i can see, are people able to posture up while doing this?

I'm impressed!

Im going with either Street Ezekiel or Poppa-Zekiel

Poppa, Poppa, Poppa. You are so close to the what I thought would be the UNDENIABLE AUTOMATIC choice for naming this thing!!! It's a "Street" Ezekiel, yes, (and yes, you invented it, but the whole Poppa thing doesn't work for me) but instead of simply calling it the Street Ezekiel you should just crunch those together! I give you...the Streetzekiel!!

(Seriously, I don't know how you can call it anything but that after hearing it roll off the tongue? LOL)

Really cool - thanks for sharing!

Nice choke, i rate the modification........But lay off Bravo'esque retarded names please

My instructor showed us something very similar for the gi. You basically sneak your hand up the back of the guy's gi and grab his opposite-side collar. Use your other hand to finish like you would finish any collar choke, if that makes sense. Surprisingly effective on people who don't see it coming.

dude! that's dope, i honestly expected you to be biting off somebody else or just do the standard nogi ezekiel but that was so simple yet blew my mind. RESPECT!!

Thanks man, means a lot and I'm glad you liked it. It came to me relatively easy, I just played with some things while trying to stick to some basic principals of bundling the shirt and staying protected. I encourage you all to play with it and some other techniques we will put out and if anyone can come up with their own and film it....feel free. If its good we will post it on BJJ.ORG as well :)

i watched with no audio at work so my following question may have been answered) My only concern is when you release the overhook to start bunching the shirt up, what are you doing to maintain control, are you just pulling legs in while keeping control over the neck? Releasing that overhook for the few seconds is the only hole i can see, are people able to posture up while doing this?

I'm impressed!

Good question. I was being a lot looser for instructional purposes and so that the viewer could see what was going on better. When I first did this and we were letting them swing punches that didn't connect testing things. I did everything tighter.

The arm around the head is keeping posture broken. The over hook is preventing punches and helping to keep posture broken. When the over hook arm releases the hook...you can still keep some control by pinching the arm in place with the bicep so the han is free to bundle the shirt. The control wont be AS good as when there is a complete over hook..but the control is still there. And the top arm behind the head never moves and always controls posture.

I also mention timing...you hold him in the initial position while he is freaking out and you wait till an opening comes.

this is -genius-, this is fucking genius, BJJ needs more of this

@ Poppa

Thanks for the clarification, I would assume you just need to play with the position for awhile to get the feeling of controlling the posture while allowing your hand to set up the choke. Pinching the elbow in would definitely help. I might even try playing with it once i got a higher guard so i could use my legs with even more leverage on the person's back putting greater pressure on their posture.

A year or so ago I use to wear a rubber bracelet (i was supporting cure for lymphoma) like the "live strong" bracelets and i even thought of using that as a grip to do a "street ezekiel"

your idea is way more clever though!

Nice Stuff Colby!

I've done a similar choke in the past, bunch up the shirt like that, but I'm a little wary of passing my other arm through the neck hole of the shirt. Instead, I pass the arm just behind the grip of the shirt and under my own arm only. Seems to work pretty well.

thanks again, nice technique.

@ Poppa

Thanks for the clarification, I would assume you just need to play with the position for awhile to get the feeling of controlling the posture while allowing your hand to set up the choke. Pinching the elbow in would definitely help. I might even try playing with it once i got a higher guard so i could use my legs with even more leverage on the person's back putting greater pressure on their posture.

A year or so ago I use to wear a rubber bracelet (i was supporting cure for lymphoma) like the "live strong" bracelets and i even thought of using that as a grip to do a "street ezekiel"

your idea is way more clever though!

Man....they have this already lol. Wolverine bought me one for christmas.

DefenseBand

Man....they have this already lol. Wolverine bought me one for christmas.

DefenseBand

lol, He stole my idea!! :icon_chee

on another note, i really think your BJJ Street series is a great idea. I'd actually like to request a topic for a future article...

I think the biggest threat against the guard from an untrained opponent is the headbutt. Perhaps you guys could do a vid or write up that details neutralizing headbutts. Thanks!

lol, He stole my idea!! :icon_chee

on another note, i really think your BJJ Street series is a great idea. I'd actually like to request a topic for a future article...

I think the biggest threat against the guard from an untrained opponent is the headbutt. Perhaps you guys could do a vid or write up that details neutralizing headbutts. Thanks!

Thanks...In this technique you are protected...it does a fairy good job of adressing it. This was all shot loose for instructional purposes.

I control the head with right arm and keep my head firmly pressed against his. There is no way for him to gain momentum to head butt you.

When u apply the choke the combined muscular strength of two arms is strong enough to stop a head butt until the structural stength of two arms being straight takes over.

So with my technique u should be safe. The key with dealing with head butts is just like when dealing with punches...make sure u are too close or too far.

We will discuss it on future videos, thanks :)

Last edited:
Cool. Really innovative. Seems like bunching the shirt up would work well for cross chokes as well.

I think I'd still use the classic no-gi ezekiel though -- I don't think I'd want to have my arm tangled up. I assume your version is an air choke? Or are you able to hit the carotid with it?

Cool. Really innovative. Seems like bunching the shirt up would work well for cross chokes as well.

I think I'd still use the classic no-gi ezekiel though -- I don't think I'd want to have my arm tangled up. I assume your version is an air choke? Or are you able to hit the carotid with it?

Its not as "tangled" as you think. Try it out and you will see what I mean. It starts off as an airchoke/carotid choke that is really really tight as you are slidding it in position. Its so tight that most people tap from that before you can get it into position to attack both carotids. But yeah, if you fully extend your arms...he is going to sleep.

Yes a version of a cross collar choke is another one that I came up with and it works in combination with another one technique...they are interchangeable wich is pretty cool.

Back