BJJ Scout: Conor McGregor Study - Takedown Defence

Jose also has singularly good single leg defense, and when people get past his hands, he feeds them one leg

He does, and a lot of what he does to stuff those singles is the type of framing Scout is talking about in that video. He'll let you get a leg knowing he can frame away, he'll NEVER let you get in on his hips if he can help it.

He does, and a lot of what he does to stuff those singles is the type of framing Scout is talking about in that video. He'll let you get a leg knowing he can frame away, he'll NEVER let you get in on his hips if he can help it.

Yep. Honestly Conor buys himself so much time with his framing that if he had slightly better hips he would be able to frustrate vastly better wrestlers.

This technique seems less useful against people of equal or greater reach (Nate diaz)

ALL of Conors other fights have been people with less reach

Certainly doesn’t hurt for this strategy that Conor has had a reach advantage on every single one of his opponents except for Nate (who is an inch longer)
3x size buddy

Got to throw out that Jose Aldo has been doing very similar things with even more success in stopping the TD for the last decade. Most people never even get close to his legs because he's so good at framing them off.

I think alot of casuals got fixated on Aldos ability to leg kick his opponents to death, but Aldo has great TDD and he also used butterfly guard very well throughout his career to get the underhook and pop back up to his feet. Pettis and Aldo IMO are the best at getting back to their feet.

Khabib will maul Conor, it won’t even be competitive...

Khabib will maul Conor, it won’t even be competitive...

If he can get hands on him yes. But there is non-zero chance Conor KOs him. Khabib has basically no striking defense, his footwork is terrible, and Conor is lazer accurate.

If he can get hands on him yes. But there is non-zero chance Conor KOs him. Khabib has basically no striking defense, his footwork is terrible, and Conor is lazer accurate.
He is very accurate, if you stay in range, like someone has said, Chad was able tu cut the distance and took him down several times... thing is, chad is no khabib on the ground, not has the size khabib has, Conor goes down, he ain’t getting up, and even if he does, khabib isn’t going to Gas out and become a sitting duck for Conor’s left hand...

He is very accurate, if you stay in range, like someone has said, Chad was able tu cut the distance and took him down several times... thing is, chad is no khabib on the ground, not has the size khabib has, Conor goes down, he ain’t getting up, and even if he does, khabib isn’t going to Gas out and become a sitting duck for Conor’s left hand...

I do think if Conor gets taken down in the first he's done for. Worth noting though is that Mendes is a much, much better striker than Khabib. Khabib runs onto punches in a way Mendes never would.

In any case, Khabib has to get by Tony before this is even a possibility, and I expect that fight to be a scrap.

outside of chad who has he fought that is a legitimate threat for the takedown?

mendes was doing great on 2 weeks notice.

I do think if Conor gets taken down in the first he's done for. Worth noting though is that Mendes is a much, much better striker than Khabib. Khabib runs onto punches in a way Mendes never would.

In any case, Khabib has to get by Tony before this is even a possibility, and I expect that fight to be a scrap.

How do you see tony dealing with khabibs top game...imo, he will get maul, unless khabib overcommits and gets caught in a darce...

How do you see tony dealing with khabibs top game...imo, he will get maul, unless khabib overcommits and gets caught in a darce...

I think Tony will prove harder to take down than most of Khabib's opponents, and I think he will use the threat of the sub to get back to his feet. Or at least I think that will be his plan. Whether any of it works against Khabib's insane top control...remains to be seen. I do think there's a pretty strong chance Tony boxes him up at range and wins a decision. I don't think Tony will finish him.

Clearly wing chun gives him the anti-grappling edge.

Just wanting to point out that the chinese arts have the framing, with the hitting

I mean, it's not like posting on your opponent isn't in literally every grappling style that has ever existed.

None have the intention of striking off the frame nor defending strikes off of a frame.

You see that in boxing fairly often, particularly in midwest american styles.

this is an interesting analysis. I'd like to see the moments where Mendes gets Conor down, because he did land just under 60% of his attempts. Thats not super high, but enough to feel that Khabib, at the very least, will probably take him down. Mendes has a gnarly top game, no doubt, but Khabib is so damn active, and even if he doesnt get the TKO often, it is smothering.

Tony's TD average is under 50%, but he doesnt have more than a few attempts in his UFC career. I'd have to watch the film and check the data about who Tony took down, when, and how, but I imagine that he'd have a rough go.

Khabib WILL get Conor down, imo.

These were generally my first thoughts as well. The insight was interesting, but ultimately couch mode Mendes did, in fact, put Conor down on the canvas.

Not that i think McGregor is a slouch on the ground or anything, but i do think it's fair to say that if you are looking for guys with top takedown defense to study there are probably better options. Robbie Lawler's wars vs Hendricks and Macdonald for instance; masterful use of the front body lock.

These were generally my first thoughts as well. The insight was interesting, but ultimately couch mode Mendes did, in fact, put Conor down on the canvas.

Not that i think McGregor is a slouch on the ground or anything, but i do think it's fair to say that if you are looking for guys with top takedown defense to study there are probably better options. Robbie Lawler's wars vs Hendricks and Macdonald for instance; masterful use of the front body lock.
True. The difference in the technique is how much damage Conor can do with his "touch sensory" thing

Back