BJJ Scout: Ben Askren takedown highlight among other things

Askren is so good. It's absurd he was never in the UFC.

People call Askren boring, I disagree, I love watching him fight. He primarily uses American folk style Wrestling in his fights, and he uses it well. He is a throw back to the UFC's in the 90's which were style vs. style. Although there are exceptions, pure MMA fighters are boring to me, because they have mediocre Jiu Jitsu, mediocre boxing, mediocre wrestling,etc. I like to watch people who are masters in their martial art, and use that single martial art to win fights, this is exactly what Askren does.

Watching the gsp vs Hendricks breakdown, he explains that Hendricks defends the single leg by bending over and blocking gsp's head.

What would be the best option for gsp in that case to counter Hendricks s defense?

It's really hard to judge, because I am not feeling Hendricks movements, reflexes, etc. Also it isn't really fair to be a Monday morning Quarterback. With that being said.....What I would have tried, and I realize if very well may not have worked, would be to switch from trying to run the pipe to a high single. I would have tried to drive into Hendricks which would have transferred his weight onto his back leg, which makes the front leg lighter, I would have tried to bring the leg across my body high into my armpit, I would then try to finish it from there. Would Hendricks have countered GSP if he had done that? It's very possible, but I think he should have tried a second option if the first is not working.

Again, keep in mind that I am no where near Johnny Hendricks level of wrestling, and this is just a humble opinion and I am well aware that I could be wrong, but this is what I could think of.

Last edited:
It's really hard to judge, because I am not feeling Hendricks movements, reflexes, etc. Also it isn't really fair to be a Monday morning Quarterback. With that being said.....What I would have tried, and I realize if very well may not have worked, would be to switch from trying to run the pipe to a high single. I would have tried to drive into Hendricks which would have transferred his weight onto his back leg, which makes the front leg lighter, I would have tried to bring the leg across my body high into my armpit, I would then try to finish it from there. Would Hendricks have countered GSP if he had done that? It's very possible, but I think he should have tried a second option if the first is not working.

Again, keep in mind that I am no where near Johnny Hendricks level of wrestling, and this is just a humble opinion and I am well aware that I could be wrong, but this is what I could think of.

Thanks for the reply. And of course this likely would not work for most of us against hendricks, but luckily I won't face many wrestler of his caliber!

Hey you found some of my old college coaches videos we used to do until our good assistant left

Back