BJJ Schools in WA State.

Well that's pretty awesome that finding a bjj school near me won't be a problem if I move to Seattle. I wish Alliance had an academy there (I train at Alliance Honolulu), they're quite non existent in the west other than one academy in Cali and another in Honolulu.

There's an Alliance gym in Boise, ID for what it's worth. Mitch Coats is the instructor. He has an affiliate in Humboldt Bay, CA also.

Well that's pretty awesome that finding a bjj school near me won't be a problem if I move to Seattle. I wish Alliance had an academy there (I train at Alliance Honolulu), they're quite non existent in the west other than one academy in Cali and another in Honolulu.

and all of these schools are in an area of about seventy or so miles. and that's not even all of them.

Anything out in Bellingham? Our firm just picked up a new client that way and I will be headed out for a few days.

Took a quick look and their appears to be 1 maybe 2 schools?

Anything out in Bellingham? Our firm just picked up a new client that way and I will be headed out for a few days.

Took a quick look and their appears to be 1 maybe 2 schools?

You will not be far from British Columbia, so you could check for schools there too. I will be trying for a promotion at my work, one of the places is in Bellingham.

If you've never been there before, it is a pretty cool little city. You should drive out to Deception Pass on your trip. It is freaking awesome.

You will not be far from British Columbia, so you could check for schools there too. I will be trying for a promotion at my work, one of the places is in Bellingham.

If you've never been there before, it is a pretty cool little city. You should drive out to Deception Pass on your trip. It is freaking awesome.

And if you check out deception pass, drive up Mt. Erie (one of my rock climbing haunts) drivable to the summit, and amazing views on all sides

I've trained at Ring Demon when I was a white belt (no gi class). I really liked the students and instructor, I think his name is Eric, and I also think he fought in one of the earlier ADCCs as well. There was a focus on wrestling, which is good and just the atmosphere and demeanor of everyone was focused and cool.

I had a really bizarre experience at Marcelo Alonso's school as a blue belt, while he was out of town. I did the boxing class, and the coach was real cool, but the BJJ class was taught by a purple belt that was super hostile and wouldn't let me spar because, "we don't even know you, bro." That's an exact quote. I posted about it once and a few of Alonso's students contact me, as well as Alonso himself inviting me back the next time I was in town (I dated a few girls in Seattle so I used to be there to hang out a lot). I went back, Marcelo was there, taught a great class and everyone was super accommodating and friendly and it was a really good experience. The students asked me to describe the purple belt who had taught the class that was weird and they said they thought they knew who I was referring to and he wasn't with them anymore. Regardless, I would recommend either school.

EDIT: Also for what it's worth, Ring Demon was kind of far out of the way, my friend that was a student there pick me up and drove, and it was a hike from the U if I remember correctly. When I went to Marcelo Alonso's I want to stay I was staying near Green Lake, and it was a short walk through really cool, pretty neighborhoods.

No passport. Plus it looks to be an hour away. Generally, when I visit a client I won't have the time to drive an hour each way. Therefore, I have to find something very close.

I've been training in Seattle since 2012 now.

I first checked out Marcelo Alonso's and Gracie Barra. I had very positive experiences at both gyms. MA's was very friendly and inviting. When I visited, they were preparing for a tournament, so everyone was just doing live positional drilling. GB's facility is dope, and there is a wide variety of training partners with high skill.

I ultimately joined Mat Chess MMA (very close to the University of Washington). I originally was apprehensive to check it out because I wanted to find a gym with a focus on BJJ (not MMA0, but the instructor, Andrew Perkins, is a total beast on the mat in every position. He's a black belt under Dave Ginsberg (Mario Sperry BB). He is a big guy -- 215-220 lbs -- with an absolutely sick, dynamic bottom game. He has a very strong butterfly, x-guard, and omoplata game and a very hard guard to pass. When he is on top, the pressure passing is a nightmare. Also, Andrew trains with all his students. In my near 7 years of training, no one has wrecked me the way Andrew has/does.

Mat Chess has a cool grappling schedule with no-gi on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and wrestling followed by gi BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday. Open mat is Saturday. On Sunday's, Andrew has an open door policy to all other brown/black belts in the Seattle area to come in to train. We have a wide variety of training partners of different sizes and styles -- tons of blues, several purples, and a couple brown belts.

Conclusion, there are many great options for BJJ training in Seattle. Personally, I've had a great experience at Mat Chess MMA and have felt my game reach a new level due to the training I've received there.

http://www.matchessmma.com/

Last edited:

I first checked out Marcelo Alonso's and Gracie Barra. I had very positive experiences at both gyms. MA's was very friendly and inviting. When I visited, they were preparing for a tournament, so everyone was just doing live positional drilling. GB's facility is dope, and there is a wide variety of training partners with high skill.

I ultimately joined Mat Chess MMA (very close to the University of Washington). I originally was apprehensive to check it out because I wanted to find a gym with a focus on BJJ (not MMA0, but the instructor, Andrew Perkins, is a total beast on the mat in every position. He's a black belt under Dave Ginsberg (Mario Sperry BB). He is a big guy -- 215-220 lbs -- with an absolutely sick, dynamic bottom game. He has a very strong butterfly, x-guard, and omoplata game and a very hard guard to pass. When he is on top, the pressure passing is a nightmare. Also, Andrew trains with all his students. In my near 7 years of training, no one has wrecked me the way Andrew has/does.

Mat Chess has a cool grappling schedule with no-gi on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and wrestling followed by gi BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday. Open mat is Saturday. On Sunday's, Andrew has an open door policy to all other brown/black belts in the Seattle area to come in to train. We have a wide variety of training partners of different sizes and styles -- tons of blues, several purples, and a couple brown belts.

Conclusion, there are many great options for BJJ training in Seattle. Personally, I've had a great experience at Mat Chess MMA and have felt my game reach a new level due to the training I've received there.

I also recommend this school. Andrew is also a high school teacher and very intelligent

I competed against a purple belt named Noah from Mat Chess at the last Revolution. He was good, I lost on points.

Only 1 I believe. Since then Jei has taken over and is doing an amazing job.

They have a good kids program, couple kids in there are beasts on the competition mat.

Do you know who teaches the kids program? I may have t stop in there, but I couldn't find a schedule on the website. Nit sure when the kids train......

Turns out I will be in Seattle for at least one day next week on Monday. MA's looks pretty sweet. Think I will swing in there.

Ivan Salaverry MMA is doing BJJ too: https://www.facebook.com/ivan.s.mma

10264926_296732387152527_1005828284930027413_n.jpg

So now you have a bunch of no gi monsters slapping on the gi...

Best bang for the buck. Unlimited classes (bjj, no gi, boxing, MT, and fight training), the chance to train with pros, and in downtown seattle (in an area with plenty of parking)!

He recently expanded into the office right next to the gym. Come train with us.

I competed against a purple belt named Noah from Mat Chess at the last Revolution. He was good, I lost on points.

Yeah, Noah is a cerebral and tough grappler. He's my main training partner. Did you get to experience his nasty overhook butterfly sweep? That seems to be one of his superpowers.

Yeah, Noah is a cerebral and tough grappler. He's my main training partner. Did you get to experience his nasty overhook butterfly sweep? That seems to be one of his superpowers.

Yep, I was prepared to battle for a takedown, but he pulled butterfly guard and got me with that sweep almost immediately.

These are all quality schools in Western Washington, some with multiple locations (Everett, Buckley, etc.).

NW jiu jitsu is growing quickly. Our academy will be expanding soon, as is the case with Foster BJJ.

Welcome to Marcelo Alonso Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!!
http://www.fosterbjj.com/
Seattle Gracie Barra Home Page
Gracie Barra | Ballard Brazilian Jiu Jitstu | Seattle, WA
Northwest Jiu Jitsu Academy

And if you're training in Washington, then here's where you can get your competition game on.

Home

Buckley? That's a small a** town I take it a lot of people there are from other areas.

Ok so possible place I might move is in the Auburn area. Been researching GB at federal way and Foster's. Been leaning towards Foster because it seems like a great place with really legit instructors. One thing I could not find was the membership fees. Anyone here knows?

Back