BJJ Schools in WA State.

SnappedLeg

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to start training BJJ and i was wondering if any of you could recommend any schools in the Tacoma area, if not then maybe in Seatle. I have very flexile hours and transportation is not a problem.

I'm actually interested in this to, having lived in the area. And I hope you don't get jerks saying use google, its great when ppl actually involved give advice.

+1
My mom lives in Puyallup, so it'd be nice to know of some good places to train if I go up to visit.

These are all quality schools in Western Washington, some with multiple locations (Everett, Buckley, etc.).

NW jiu jitsu is growing quickly. Our academy will be expanding soon, as is the case with Foster BJJ.

Welcome to Marcelo Alonso Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!!
http://www.fosterbjj.com/
Seattle Gracie Barra Home Page
Gracie Barra | Ballard Brazilian Jiu Jitstu | Seattle, WA
Northwest Jiu Jitsu Academy

And if you're training in Washington, then here's where you can get your competition game on.

Home

If your looking for good no-gi stuff check out

Great instructor 2 strip BB with small class sizes.
Lotus Club - Renton

College wrestler and BJJ BB i believe.
Ring Demon Academy of Mixed Martial Arts

Decent program here along with full gym memebership
Vision Quest Sport and Fitness: Seattle Fitness Clubs | Auburn, Puyallup, Kent

Not sure if he has a website, but Dennis Hallman is great.
MySpace - Dennis Hallman - 34 - Male - Olympia, Washington - myspace.com/victoryathletics

wow that is the first time i have run across the vision quest place, that sounds awesome!

wow that is the first time i have run across the vision quest place, that sounds awesome!

Its in Auburn

They have outstanding wrestling, great boxing and good submission grappling. Don't quote me but i believe there grappling section is associated with Ring Demon, meaning that some of the better Rong Demon students teach down there. they have a full ring and a ton of mat space to go along with a huge fitness gym.

They also have an MMA event this weekend weekend called The Brawl at the Mall on Sat night. I was involved in the fights there in the past and they are pretty fun, great matchmaking and some of the better Am. fighters in the state. They remove all the equipment and turn the place into an arena. Worth stopping down for if you are free on Sat night.

You may also be able to get a deal on signing up for MMA that night.

They have outstanding wrestling, great boxing and good submission grappling. Don't quote me but i believe there grappling section is associated with Ring Demon, meaning that some of the better Rong Demon students teach down there. they have a full ring and a ton of mat space to go along with a huge fitness gym.

oh my god. Sounds like my kind of place! who is the boxing instructor? I am a high school wrestler, this would be amazing!

oh my god. Sounds like my kind of place! who is the boxing instructor? I am a high school wrestler, this would be amazing!

I believe its Greg Haugen who is beyond legit. If you are a high school wrestler im sure you know the Swartz family? There dad owns the gym and helps run the wrestling program there. Pretty much top in the state that family is!!!!!

You should check it out.

These are all quality schools in Western Washington, some with multiple locations (Everett, Buckley, etc.).

NW jiu jitsu is growing quickly. Our academy will be expanding soon, as is the case with Foster BJJ.

Welcome to Marcelo Alonso Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!!
http://www.fosterbjj.com/
Seattle Gracie Barra Home Page
Gracie Barra | Ballard Brazilian Jiu Jitstu | Seattle, WA
Northwest Jiu Jitsu Academy

And if you're training in Washington, then here's where you can get your competition game on.

Home
I'll definitly consider all of your suggestions and competing is a main focus of mine, so having readily available competition is a must. Thanks.

If your looking for good no-gi stuff check out

Great instructor 2 strip BB with small class sizes.
Lotus Club - Renton

College wrestler and BJJ BB i believe.
Ring Demon Academy of Mixed Martial Arts

Decent program here along with full gym memebership
Vision Quest Sport and Fitness: Seattle Fitness Clubs | Auburn, Puyallup, Kent

Not sure if he has a website, but Dennis Hallman is great.
MySpace - Dennis Hallman - 34 - Male - Olympia, Washington - myspace.com/victoryathletics
I'll check out Ring Demon and Visionquest but i'm mainly looking for pure BJJ, not much interest in going into MMA but thanks for the suggestions, it's nice to see helpful people on Sherdog.

I'll check out Ring Demon and Visionquest but i'm mainly looking for pure BJJ, not much interest in going into MMA but thanks for the suggestions, it's nice to see helpful people on Sherdog.

Cool, you should stop by Lotus for a couple free classes also. I could hook you up. PM if interested.

I'm going to be in Seattle for Memorial Day weekend. Anyone have any recommendations of places to maybe drop in? I'm a 1.5 year white belt if that makes any difference.

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it only proves that I used the search function. :)

I'm planning on possibly relocating to the Seattle area in the next two years or so. I just visited there two weeks ago and stayed around the Queen Anne area but didn't have a chance to check the Marcelo academy. Place high on my list is Auburn but I would like to be closer to the town area.

This thread is kinda old so I wonder if more academies have popped up since then? And yes I googled while I was there and didn't get much hits other than Marcelo or GB.

Lol and yes, having a good bjj academy nearby is important in my decision to move. :)

http://www.nwjja.com/
As far as pure bjj probably the best one ive been too.
Matt Chess is another really good one. It's an MMA school but has a good bjj program run by a legit black belt.
Ivan Salaverry's gym (the one i currently attend) has a great mma program. The gi bjj is just starting up there so right now its pretty basic and has a lot of white belts but is run really well.

http://www.nwjja.com/
As far as pure bjj probably the best one ive been too.
Matt Chess is another really good one. It's an MMA school but has a good bjj program run by a legit black belt.
Ivan Salaverry's gym (the one i currently attend) has a great mma program. The gi bjj is just starting up there so right now its pretty basic and has a lot of white belts but is run really well.

Yeah I'm more interested in gi bjj but I'll do no gi as well. Not all that interested in MMA, I'm getting close to 40 and I'm not all that interested on having my face pounded or pissing blood because of repeated kidney strikes. No thanks, I'm too old for that shit lol!

Thanks for the info man.

I'm going to be in Seattle for Memorial Day weekend. Anyone have any recommendations of places to maybe drop in? I'm a 1.5 year white belt if that makes any difference.

If you're coming to Seattle, Marcelo's is the answer. He is a 5 strip BB his academy has a great atmosphere that is very open and welcoming.

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it only proves that I used the search function. :)

I'm planning on possibly relocating to the Seattle area in the next two years or so. I just visited there two weeks ago and stayed around the Queen Anne area but didn't have a chance to check the Marcelo academy. Place high on my list is Auburn but I would like to be closer to the town area.

This thread is kinda old so I wonder if more academies have popped up since then? And yes I googled while I was there and didn't get much hits other than Marcelo or GB.

Lol and yes, having a good bjj academy nearby is important in my decision to move. :)

If in Seattle, it's Marcelo's IMO although the GB association hasnalot of schools also but Marcelo is the godfather for sure and his gym is full of all levels from BB (usually 4 at each class) to new whites. All are treated nice.

If you're down south, UFC fighter Jeff Houghland has a great thing going at his gym
http://www.combatsportfitness.com/
Great Gi JJ with a real strong local MMA gym and affiliation with Foster JJ.

Also Ring Demon is a legit gym, a little more hardcore.

Back