BJJ rolling do’s/ do nots

Heel hook is what I got in trouble for when I rolled briefly at the end of an mma class about a year ago- which is why I’ve been thinking about does and donts since now I’m wanting to learn bjj haha

Yeah, heel hook is generally a no no for white belts. At least until you learn the submission properly.

IMO, most jiu jitsu schools are too wary of heel hooks. They're dangerous, but not so dangerous that they shouldn't be trained. Like anything, once you know what your doing, you'll be fine... But until then, leave the heel hooks out.

As a general rule, unless you really know what you're doing, don't go for the sub. You're just likely to hurt yourself or your opponent.

knee bars are just as dangerous any move that you don't feel pain until it's too late is dangerous including Achilles just don't crank on the submissions.

In general, IBJJF rules with the LOWER belt rank taking precedence.

After awhile though, you know who you can trust and who you can't. Long time team mates that I know are all there between the ears can heel hook me all they want because a) they know that I'll tap and b) I know they won't crank it. Some random guy off the street will be told that they can't even look at my foot.

Only taken a couple of classes of bjj.

What submissions are okay and not okay to attempt while rolling?
Yea so keep your gi clean, and wear clean gym clothes rash guards etc... Also, if you have cuts or open sores be sure to keep them covered. So good hygiene is important.

If you find yourself locking in a submission, don't try to break the guys arms, legs, jaws, etc..Give enough pressure to make them tap but don't over do it.

Also don't be a douche. Nobody cares if you think you're a world beater. so just focus on getting better and when you win...win with class. And when you get your butt handed to you (which you will) take a loss like a champ. Losing in sparring is not about pride or toughness, it's about learning from your mistakes and getting better. So accept defeat. Also, don't go around trying to grapple random guys until you feel you are very competent in the sport. Also, don't try teaching anything to anybody outside the dojo because your instructor will not like that.

Yea so keep your gi clean, and wear clean gym clothes rash guards etc... Also, if you have cuts or open sores be sure to keep them covered. So good hygiene is important.

If you find yourself locking in a submission, don't try to break the guys arms, legs, jaws, etc..Give enough pressure to make them tap but don't over do it.

Also don't be a douche. Nobody cares if you think you're a world beater. so just focus on getting better and when you win...win with class. And when you get your butt handed to you (which you will) take a loss like a champ. Losing in sparring is not about pride or toughness, it's about learning from your mistakes and getting better. So accept defeat. Also, don't go around trying to grapple random guys until you feel you are very competent in the sport. Also, don't try teaching anything to anybody outside the dojo because your instructor will not like that.
Cheers dude

I respectfully declined a blue belts offer to roll the other day because I’d just been worn out by a white belt haha

Don't do retarded grip breaks.

I'm not sure if this is what he's talking about, but over the years, I've seen quite a few new people who will literally punch someone else's forearm or wrist to break a grip. Don't be that guy.

When I first started, the can opener was basically all I knew how to do from inside someone's guard. Don't be that guy. I started at an MMA gym (back when MMA gyms weren't really a thing in most of the country), so the instruction wasn't very good (especially if the main grappling instructor wasn't there), so all we really knew was that it was good to make your opponent uncomfortable.

Also, I know it's not what you asked, but most warm-ups are not a race. No one cares that you're passing other people while hip escaping incorrectly down the mat.

Also, I know it's not what you asked, but most warm-ups are not a race. No one cares that you're passing other people while hip escaping incorrectly down the mat.

lmao I feel so called out right now
warmups are the only thing I can do properly as a dumb white belt

If you are holding the head for the sake of control, don't let go, that is the better position and giving it up means you're going backwards. Get practice in the position, and become better at controlling and finishing efficiently. Same with things like double wrist locks, or leg ride, or saddle, and so on.

If you do have a choke tied up and he hasn't tapped in ten or so seconds, don't panic, just cook them; simply keep the hold on and your pressure steady, adjusting your grip to take away any and all gaps, open space, or daylight, until you're welded in place; the choke will happen all on it's own.

What do the first two mean? Sorry I’m a complete noob

He might be talking about rolling a guy on his back all the way over into front headlock; a simple but effective way of dealing with a highly flexible guard player.

To be honest, I feel like a lot of the advice that ends up being given in these sorts of threads is rather self-serving - more about how it actually relates too the speaker's own convenience than how it relates to what may in fact make you more superior at the grapplingses.

Last edited:
Back