BJJ rolling do’s/ do nots

Chok Sok Te

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Only taken a couple of classes of bjj.

What submissions are okay and not okay to attempt while rolling?

If you've only ha a couple of lessons I don't think you'll need to worry about which submissions to use ;)
But seriously, ask the instructor, no heel hooks, and don't put on anything that you need to crank to finish.

Every gym has different rules. Most people also have a different rule set for gi or no-gi training. Find out yours ahead of time.

As a white belt- you should focus on attaining or escaping positions more than you worry about submissions. If you are working subs, in gi- you should primarily focus on upper body submissions (chokes, arm bar, kimura, etc). In no gi, I'd still focus on upper body submissions, but be aware people are going to attack your legs at some point. Focus on escapes more than submissions at this point.

A couple of good ideas for you to keep in mind-
- if you are just holding the head for the sake of control, or hoping they might tap- let go and try to get to a better position.
- if you think you have a choke, and they haven't tapped after 8-10 seconds- let go and move on
- if you don't control their body in some fashion, don't try to go for a submission. It means you are trying to explode on something, and could lead to injury for you or your partner
- tap early to joint locks, fight chokes for a bit to develop a tolerance to them. No need to go to sleep though. And don't fight chokes to long against other white belts, they might not know enough to let go.

there’s a few things that I think are universal:

No biting

Don’t submit your opponent by having such a smelly gi that he taps

No eye contact in guard

If you've only ha a couple of lessons I don't think you'll need to worry about which submissions to use ;)
But seriously, ask the instructor, no heel hooks, and don't put on anything that you need to crank to finish.
Heel hook is what I got in trouble for when I rolled briefly at the end of an mma class about a year ago- which is why I’ve been thinking about does and donts since now I’m wanting to learn bjj haha

Some people get pissed if you squeeze their chin when going for a choke, but others realize that defending primarily with your face is pretty poor late defense.

Last edited:
FEWER

No reaping (when you have someone in x guard, don't let your leg pass the midline of their body)

... also don't kick them in the balls from x guard that's also bad

I'd rather be bad at grammar than let myself get leg reaped by a white belt.

Always go for can-openers when you're stuck in closed guard: that ought to make you friends.

Don't fart when you roll lol.

No guard jumps, no roll over stacking, no heel hooks, no knee reaps.

What do the first two mean? Sorry I’m a complete noob

Farting is when gas from your stomach expels itself in a comical trumpet like effect from between your butt cheeks. Rolling is what we call sparring.

It's when you jump on the guys knees and potentially break them, the other is when you roll over the opponent and then jump on him so that all your weight is on his neck.

What do the first two mean? Sorry I’m a complete noob
Don’t jump and pull guard. It means when you jump on them while simultaneously wrapping your legs around their body pulling them into your guard. You can hyperextend their knees forward very suddenly

Back