BJJ Professor expressing disappointment in you

I have this with my co workers all the time, I'll make a little dig/ joke at them and laugh but they just look at the ground. And I was like "oh snap I thought I was being playful". If you just laughed along with him it'd could have been a pretty light exchange.

I had two stripes before I trained at my current gym. After about 6 weeks I was paired to roll with someone and he was like "take it easy with this white belt with no stripes he just came in here after watching some youtube videos or something"

And I just laughed, it was a good burn, whatever.

Same thing a 2 stripe white belt said he didn't know the double under pass and he was like "oh my god give me a stripe back" once again we just chuckled. A lot of times taking little jabs at someone is a sign of friendship/acceptance.

I don't know I used to get more emotional about stuff that happened in the gym. But after getting smashed so many times in full view of my whole team, I got pretty thick skin. A lot rolls off my back.

Jiu Jitsu's hard dude, you don't always see it from the bottom of the totem pole, but everyone struggles and everyone is self conscious about their progression. And everyone is worried that their coach saw someone less experienced pass their guard last roll. And everyone is getting their ass kicked by someone.

WHAT??? YOU WASH YOUR BELT???HOW DARE YOU!!!!!
BLASPHEMY

Wait wait, before we pass judgement, there could be an explanation. Did he wash it in the tears of his enemies. Did he get some of Helios sweat on the black market and wash it in that?

So has he spent lots of time teaching you how to fall properly?

Or is he expecting you to have picked it up magically?

We practice falling a handful of times usually months apart though I wouldn't say it's full on training to fall though.

He's also a Judo black belt so his throws are pretty legit...

We practice falling a handful of times usually months apart though I wouldn't say it's full on training to fall though.

Then this is clearly his fault for not having ukemi taught well enough or regularly enough. You can't expect new students to automagically become good at technical movements.

Then this is clearly his fault for not having ukemi taught well enough or regularly enough. You can't expect new students to automagically become good at technical movements.

I agree.

Actually it is really bad to throw white belts around without letting them training breakfall in a regular and consistent way.

I have this with my co workers all the time, I'll make a little dig/ joke at them and laugh but they just look at the ground. And I was like "oh snap I thought I was being playful". If you just laughed along with him it'd could have been a pretty light exchange.

I had two stripes before I trained at my current gym. After about 6 weeks I was paired to roll with someone and he was like "take it easy with this white belt with no stripes he just came in here after watching some youtube videos or something"

And I just laughed, it was a good burn, whatever.

Same thing a 2 stripe white belt said he didn't know the double under pass and he was like "oh my god give me a stripe back" once again we just chuckled. A lot of times taking little jabs at someone is a sign of friendship/acceptance.

I don't know I used to get more emotional about stuff that happened in the gym. But after getting smashed so many times in full view of my whole team, I got pretty thick skin. A lot rolls off my back.

Jiu Jitsu's hard dude, you don't always see it from the bottom of the totem pole, but everyone struggles and everyone is self conscious about their progression. And everyone is worried that their coach saw someone less experienced pass their guard last roll. And everyone is getting their ass kicked by someone.
This is how how grown men interact in the workplace or around each other, in fact not getting teased is a sign of being ostracized..it's not about what was said, it's about intent and how it's said. People really need to start getting this or at least stop wondering why they keep getting friend zoned

A coach being disappointed is a coach that cares brother, get better, learn from it... he just expect more from you

Don't overthink stuff, you're still very green at this point so nothing to worry about, just practice breakfalls, it'll come as ano useful skill down the line

He's prolly just having a bad day. Fck em, the journey doesn't stop for no one.

To make a long story short, your instructor is an ‘asshole’! He should never talk to a student that way in front of others. Extremely unprofessional. The bond between teacher and student is sacred. As mentioned before, lower belts should never be used to demonstrate a technique in class. I’ve heard of teachers who have made black belt students take their belt off if beaten by a lower ranking student. What ‘bullshit’. What happens to your teacher when he gets older and slower? One has to take into consideration age, weight, and experience. In a situation like that the student can never be wrong. If something goes wrong it is the instructor’s fault. Plenty of bad instructors out there giving the art a bad reputation. That is also why so many people quit the school.

Last edited:
My professor has actually kicked me in the ass because I wasn't doing a move a correctly!<45>

I said "thank you sir may I have another"? <cheer>

Back