BJJ: Noon class vs Evening Class for a complete beginner?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently joined a Gracie Jiu Jitsu gym last week and they offer noon session for beginners. I took a noon session to see how it goes and there were 2 whites, a blue and a purple belt guys.

I partnered with my instructor (it was my first time) and the rest were practising techniques and in the end, sparring but he said it's optional so I'll skip it and watch them until I'm familiar with it. The next day, took an evening beginner session and it was much more exhausting.

Question, is there a difference between noon and evening session? Who are likely to progress faster? Which times are more suited for a complete beginner?

I felt more comfortable in the noon class because I spent more time with my instructor as there was less people, he was watching me all the time and corrected my mistakes. In the evening session, I had no clue what to do after he demonstrated the technique and repeated 2-3 times to all of us and I felt bad when my partner had to explain over and over like it felt like a waste of time after the instructor switches to the next technique.

So, should I spend more time on the noon session until I'm familiar with the techniques before switching to the evening session? Would there be any difference?

Last edited:
It is a no brainer. Smaller group is better for learning.

Then later on, you will need a larger group of sparring partners.

Sounds like your train at a Gracie Barra ? Schedule sounds about the same.

We have noon and night classes too. Honestly there is little difference between them and sizes are random. Recently they added an "advanced" night class twice a week but honestly didn't see anything advanced about It, but I still stay for it regardless.

I like going to both. Get to train with a different set of people and going to lunch class rather than pigging out on food is good.

Good luck man

Back