Bjj neck stack, advice on how to avoid neck injury

lachlan33

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been doing bjj for about four monhts, absolutely loving it! We were recently learning how to combine two pass transitions together. So, the first was grabbing legs of the bloke who was on his back while I am standing and simply moving them out of the way and stepping around to get inside guard and if/when that failed you would shoot back to the middle in between his legs and kneel down and do a double under pass.

I had been doing it all night and it was workign great. However, I used a bit too much power when I went for one of the double under passes by grabbing the back of this guys heels and I sort of pulled him up a bit. His hips actually came off the ground and it stacked him and I was easily able to then pass. However, I didn't mean to stack this guy like that as it wasn't like a pressure stacking where the guy stays on the ground and i simply lifted his hips up. He sort of got slightly airborne for a brief second (though his neck stayed on teh ground and didn't come off so he techincally wasn't airborne but he easily could have gone if I'd used a bit more power). However, if I had been more overzealous (I usually train very gently and have no idea how I accidently yoinked this guy up as I simply meant to grab his legs and go down to my knees and then gently stack him) or if someone else was, you could easily pull their hips up by grabbing their feet or gi pants near their hips or thights and pull them airborne and then they would land on the neck and possibly break it (there is a video of this circulating on youtube of it happening to a poor young chap during comp).

My question is how can I avoid this happening to me? If someone goes under my legs or grabs my gi pants near my thighs and pulls me up so thamyselfl my self actually getting airbornish/stacked but he has control of my legs so that I can't pull them down, should I try and cut an angle so that I would roll over my shoulder more, etc.? What is the best way to mitigate the potential of landing badly on your neck.

Again, just want to make clear that I am a very gentle and respectful roller and it was accidental that I yoinked this guy up (he didn't seem to care at all) but I was quite shocked that I had managed to stack him in that manner and want to avoid A) doing it again and B) having it happen to me. I'm obviously going to be very careful about this pass style again when I do it.

Thanks for advice,

Lachlan

Why would you grab your partner's legs - when he is on his back-, move them to the side to get in guard...

Why would you grab your partner's legs - when he is on his back-, move them to the side to get in guard...

See: .

Becuase it is a very common guard pass? (see above). It is fantastic for moving past a guard if you are having difficulty moving them to the side. It is also great for faking to the side movement and then going double under to get around.

Any suggestions about how to do this safely and how to react ot having this done to you safely would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

See: .

Becuase it is a very common guard pass? (see above). It is fantastic for moving past a guard if you are having difficulty moving them to the side. It is also great for faking to the side movement and then going double under to get around.

Any suggestions about how to do this safely and how to react ot having this done to you safely would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ok, I know this guard, but you made it sound like you were moving the opponent's legs/hips then going back into their full guard lol. I know what you mean now though. My instructor never stacked the opponent in this pass, only rocked them slightly forward, so their lower back rests on your knee, then grab the gi pants and move.

Ok, I know this guard, but you made it sound like you were moving the opponent's legs/hips then going back into their full guard lol. I know what you mean now though. My instructor never stacked the opponent in this pass, only rocked them slightly forward, so their lower back rests on your knee, then grab the gi pants and move.

Well, I think in most cases someone placing their knee under your hips and gently stacking yous is what usually happens. However, if you're rolling a bit more aggressively or you're less experienced (like me) and you accidently try to be a bit more explosive and you are in a standing up position while they are on their back you can accidently sort of pull their legs up as you go to slide down to make it easier to go into the double under and this can cause them to flip onto their neck

This is sort of what I mean (warning it could be an upsetting video for some, it is of a bjj fellow who breaks his neck during this style of pass). Now, that dude literally tried to flip the guy it seems. I was far more gentle and yet a similar situation sort of occured.

Well, I think in most cases someone placing their knee under your hips and gently stacking yous is what usually happens. However, if you're rolling a bit more aggressively or you're less experienced (like me) and you accidently try to be a bit more explosive and you are in a standing up position while they are on their back you can accidently sort of pull their legs up as you go to slide down to make it easier to go into the double under and this can cause them to flip onto their neck

This is sort of what I mean (warning it could be an upsetting video for some, it is of a bjj fellow who breaks his neck during this style of pass). Now, that dude literally tried to flip the guy it seems. I was far more gentle and yet a similar situation sort of occured.

I've seen this video before and don't really care to again. Does anyone know what eventually happened to this guy?

I didn't start this post up to freak people out or to paint a picture of BJJ as super dangerous. I just was looking for some advice about how to prevent a situation like this from happening. Any advice would be appreciated

Again, just want to make clear that I am a very gentle and respectful roller and it was accidental that I yoinked this guy up (he didn't seem to care at all) but I was quite shocked that I had managed to stack him in that manner and want to avoid A) doing it again and B) having it happen to me. I'm obviously going to be very careful about this pass style again when I do it.

Thanks for advice,

Lachlan

Gentleness, sympathy, consideration; these are the demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business, i mean grappling.

Just don't do it in that manner. There's not much else to be said.

I didn't start this post up to freak people out or to paint a picture of BJJ as super dangerous. I just was looking for some advice about how to prevent a situation like this from happening. Any advice would be appreciated

When my trainer teaches the double under he likes to stack people really hard, and hold them there until you complete the pass. It fucking sucks. Best way to my knowledge is to fight the double under really hard early, i.e. something like in that Kurt Osiander clip. If the opponent starts to manage to stack me up too much I try to control the flip myself, i.e. do a backwards roll like you do in warmup, then you'll have your ear to a shoulder, which makes your neck much less exposed.

It's not much of a LOL - it means you can't use all four of your limbs :-(
Jesus. I'd never heard that term, just para or quadri. Not laughing at that poor kid in any manner.

Damn I hate thay video.

If someone goes double under hooks you need to get your butterfly hooks I'm and put a shit ton of pressure how on your his so he cannot lift.you up. You also need to walk your shoulders back to create just the right amount of space.so he doesn't get too close.

And be ready to bail. You have to get use to the feelings of what your opponent is doing. Just never.lose focus when he's lie that cause it can end bad

Back