BJJ/MMA

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
Wondering if I could talk shop for a moment. I started my BJJ journey in march and I figured I'd just keep developing myself and maybe I'd step in the cage to have my own thrill if the time was right. Since I'm about to be 33, my approach would be to focus on my boxing as a base (5yrs experience and sparring with good pros every Saturday) continue jiu jitsu to the point it becomes another base, and then I was sort of wondering what things should look like after that? I sort of like the idea of stacking Boxing/BJJ and then working with a MT coach that teaches me how to check kicks, clinch, and then I guess doing some wrestling at some point to just sort of know whats going on (but obviously I'm gonna be behind in wrestling)? I envisioned my product at the point of a first fight relying on my boxing and jiu jitsu to sprawl, stand up if taken down, or take mount and do damage if i knock him down. Wouldn't look to kick, just defend against kicks, be prepared for the clinch, and have strong cardio.

Sound like a plan to work towards over the next few years? I think in the meantime I'd just like to be a sparring partner for guys taking fights to get more experience in the MMA setup. I'm currently in a separate boxing gym that has just hired an mma coach, and a separate jiu jitsu gym. When I started the boxing and jiu jitsu were under the same roof, I was excited for that, now they had a fall out business wise and I really like both of the guys as people and don't want to disconnect and just go to sign up at an mma gym. I thought it would be cool to be brought up under a new BJJ gym and be attached as one of their fighters in the future, and coordinate with the new mma coach and be one of his first fighters too.

If I were you, I would try and train with more experienced fighters at other gyms, rather than spar with boxers and roll with grapplers.

But go for it. It isn't an unreasonable goal to work towards.

As long as you don't fight a brown belt in the UFC for your first ever fight you should be fine, good luck and enjoy the martial arts journey

As long as you don't fight a brown belt in the UFC for your first ever fight you should be fine, good luck and enjoy the martial arts journey

Hahahahahaha I don't think I'll be famous like CM punk in time for that

All things are possible. Follow your dreams. They will take you where you want to go. Never be afraid to pivot if your dreams change. It's ok. Just don't stop chasing something

If you're just starting BJJ, you might not be able to threaten a better wrestler off you're back. I would definitely suggest taking time to focus on your wrestling to some degree. What weight would you compete at?

If you're just starting BJJ, you might not be able to threaten a better wrestler off you're back. I would definitely suggest taking time to focus on your wrestling to some degree. What weight would you compete at?

I'm guessing 205lbs, I'm currently 6'4" 245lbs, but not a trim in the stomach 245lbs, definitely some extra that I expect to come off before I ever do a cut.

I'm guessing 205lbs, I'm currently 6'4" 245lbs, but not a trim in the stomach 245lbs, definitely some extra that I expect to come off before I ever do a cut.
Definitely get what wrestling in that you can. The last place you'll want to be is under your opponent.

How many years of BJJ before it's good to be under the opponent?
That would depend on a lot of things. At your size, it's always going to be dangerous to be underneath an opponent. It's just something you're going to need to be very proficient in if it's your only grappling base. You're probably going to run in to more wrestlers at that weight than BJJ guys, so if they take you down and have good top pressure and much submission defense, you'll be fighting an uphill battle unless you really master your sweeps.

If you're only training BJJ for grappling, you're probably going to barely work takedowns if at all. And it's going to be even harder for you to find a good training partner that can and will push you in that area because of your size. You might take to BJJ like a fish to water, but you may not. It's going to help a lot to be able to stop a shot, or control a guy in the clinch standing. Good BJJ when you're on top is going to be a huge advantage.

Back