BJJ is for Unathletic Nerds, Fat Kids, Soccer Moms, 40 Year Old Dads, 100 lb girls, etc...

I have shown you Chuck Norris openly state that despite being a Judo black belt back in the day, when it was much stricter to get black belts, and having Gene Lebell as an informal instructor, Norris was a quote: "White belt" grappling with a BJJ instructor who was a senior citizen....

Lol, I'm sure Gene Lebell is a good instructor but becoming a blackbelt in judo or other martial arts doesn't mean shit unless you have put in thousands of hours of hard randori against good sparringspartners and also have done a fair share of competition. Instead of looking to belt colors you should look to competitive record. What judo tournaments did Chuck medal in again?

Personally I got my shodan blackbelt when I was 18 year old after starting judo at age 9. No instructor gave me that belt, it was awarded it by the national judo federation after I had been a brown belt since I was 14. I had to collect points from wins in high level tournaments before I got the right to make a technical test for the national "black belt collegium".

Last edited:
I live in Slavic country in Europe. No need to learn fight here.

I know people who grew up in Eastern Europe and Russia. They tell different tales my friend.

Western Europe is probably worse than those places now. See what some of you geniuses don't grasp is that times change.

Feeding me some bs about how the world is safe. lol

Last edited:
well, you cant say hes dissing judo for the gi on a comment that you are taking it out of context. If he were asked on for gi bjj only, he would probably has said judo, but hes was not, and he made it clear.

I can't imagine Marcello being good at Judo. Master on the ground no doubt, but not at standup. lol

May as well ask Jimmy Pedro what he thinks about olympic fencing.

Did he file a police report? :D

BTW this is especially funny to me since I went the same road (TMA - BJJ - MMA - TMA) but when I returned for a few classes out of nostalgia I did not do so to tap my old sensei. :p

Haha he didn't file a police report, he sent me a long email afterwards about my grappling skills and asked me to keep coming back to class. I never talked to him again.

I couldn't stand the guy and had a lot of resentment towards him for the way he used to treat all the brand new white belts (myself included) that took his classes. He was your typical tma bully who loved to dish it out to people who didn't know how to defend, but ultimately couldn't take it when I gave it back.

I can't imagine Marcello being good at Judo. Master on the ground no doubt, but not at standup. lol

May as well ask Jimmy Pedro what he thinks about olympic fencing.

He's talking about What's better for Bjj... I think he knows a couple of things about that

It's dangerous everywhere when you are an idiot.

No, that means everyone around you is an idiot.

You will participate in the idiocy whether you want to or not.

Where was BJJ invented and why? Ruminate on that for a minute. lol

He's talking about What's better for Bjj... I think he knows a couple of things about that

BJJ doesn't have takedowns, that's why he's talking about wrestling vs Judo. But he's not great at either. lol

Let's face it, it doesn't matter whether he gets a takedown. All he cares is that he didn't spend much time on takedowns, that is more to the point here. lol

Again, picture Marcello being good at Judo. Just picture it. lol

People tend not to like things they aren't suited to.

BJJ doesn't have takedowns, that's why he's talking about wrestling vs Judo. But he's not great at either. lol

Let's face it, it doesn't matter whether he gets a takedown. All he cares is that he didn't spend much time on takedowns, that is more to the point here. lol

Again, picture Marcello being good at Judo. Just picture it. lol

And where the fuck do you get that Bjj doesn't have takedowns?

What takedowns did BJJ invent? lol

It might "have" them but they are native to other sports.

Just like 99% of the rest of techniques, What's your point? Do you actually believe helio invented leverage?

Haha he didn't file a police report, he sent me a long email afterwards about my grappling skills and asked me to keep coming back to class. I never talked to him again.

I couldn't stand the guy and had a lot of resentment towards him for the way he used to treat all the brand new white belts (myself included) that took his classes. He was your typical tma bully who loved to dish it out to people who didn't know how to defend, but ultimately couldn't take it when I gave it back.
Well, if he acknowledged your skills and wanted you to come back then he took it very well and acted in a humble way. Props to him. Other people after being humiliated like that would just never speak to you again.

Just like 99% of the rest of techniques, What's your point? Do you actually believe helio invented leverage?

Have you become a heretic also now? Careful so they don't revoke your belt...;)

Have you become a heretic also now? Careful so they don't revoke your belt...;)

After getting my blue and fanboytism Goes away, I've kind of realized about the was myth, I'm on the opinion that Gjj was/is an approach to fighting, not a set of techniques.

Edit: I'm still a fanboy, just not a delusional one:)

Last edited:
Look there are people who are obviously incredible athletes and are incredibly talented in BJJ. I don't question the likes of those people.

But a lot people that I mentioned in the thread title do BJJ because they aren't athletic strong in-shape people.

The sport is advertised as "all about technique" and this is the only way for them to compete in something where they are not at such a disadvantage due to size and athletic ability.

No fat middle age guys thinks to himself, "I think I will play basketball starting now...even though I have never worked out or played a sport in my life."

Don't mean to come off harsh but I see a lot of these people walking around the gym. It's great that they are doing something which is better than nothing. I'm not discouraging people or trying to be negative, but I'm just pointing out an observation I'm seeing.

Not to mention the 3 month white belt posting #BJJforLife on social media. It's become the new vegan and crossfit.
Isn't that the case with most people who take up a new sport in their mid life?

I met a guy who started lifting at 38 year old. He weighed 287lbs when he is 5'7. Wouldn't this count as someone who you classify as middle age, fat and old? He dropped about 40lbs when he started lifting.

The point of saying someone who basketball wouldn't just start is probably because I am sure in the USA most people have played basketball at some point in their lives. Or they never did P.E and school. And I guess they didn't find basketball a sport they enjoyed for exercise, or else they wouldn't have played in a adult league.

I live in the UK I have met 40 years old who took up baseball and 100 lbs girls.

And TBH I do not see the point to this post.

Yes out of shape people do BJJ probably because they think it is cool. Those people are not trying to be Royce Gracie or Ken Shamrock. New people tend to get over excited but that is because they found a new sport they can compete in.

To me it is no different then adult sport leagues. Have you seen those adult basketball games? They take that shit seriously even some pay thousands of dollars to train with Dwade.

Last edited:
You club is surely in a minority. Nate Diaz is a 3rd degree black belt who couldn't take down a beaten up and outgassed Irish brown belt...

My club has wrestling and Judo on Saturdays. Granted, it's mostly a BJJ gym but also trains pro MMA fighters, It's not that uncommon to find gyms like this in a decent sized city. Pricey but not uncommon.

How could anyone volunteer to cuddle with some random, disgusting dude, even if the art is awesome? There are major health concerns too you know...

"Besides the normal strains and pulls associated with most martial arts, Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners (along with Wrestlers, Judoka, and other grapplers ) are exposed to regular skin abrasions and potential unsanitary mat conditions. They are thus at higher risk for developing skin disease.[37] Several commonly contracted skin diseases include ringworm, impetigo, herpes gladiatorum, and staph infection.[38]"

It's called a rash guard and compression pants. Skinned my knees pretty bad two weeks ago and I don't think I'm going to roll without them again. Not sure what you have against BJJ but for me personally, I think grappling is a pretty important skillset to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back