BJJ in Stillwater, OK

crd8

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am about to move to Stillwater, OK in the fall to attend Oklahoma State University. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any good BJJ places in the surrounding area and if so where they are located.

Thanks!

Lx is legit. He taught classes at Gracie Humaita. He was a solid competitor. In saying that. The school in Stillwater is ran by a blue belt that joined the lx association I believe around 6 months ago and that is about when the guy got his blue belt. If you just want somewhere to train this place could be a good place but do not expect to learn good solid Bjj from the school in Stillwater.

Lx is legit. He taught classes at Gracie Humaita. He was a solid competitor. In saying that. The school in Stillwater is ran by a blue belt that joined the lx association I believe around 6 months ago and that is about when the guy got his blue belt. If you just want somewhere to train this place could be a good place but do not expect to learn good solid Bjj from the school in Stillwater.

Good insights. I know Ty Gay, LX Brown Belt, is like an hour away near OKC. I wonder if he comes by? Or it is always just a blue?

Either way, I would say JiuJitsu_Greg is spot on. It might be a good place to acquire basics while you are in school. Osu is full of great wrestlers, start asking around once you get in school you might find some guys to train with.

Ok thanks, I appriciate the imput!

Ty gay is located in Edmond Oklahoma. He is a 4 stripe brown belt. He has received all of his rank from Leonardo Xavier but is no longer a part of the lx association. I believe he is currently trying to start a Gracie academy association. I know that another lx brown belt Blake Hayes (Tulsa) is supposed to look out and help out the Stillwater school but in what capacity I don't know. Good luck at osu!

Ty gay is located in Edmond Oklahoma. He is a 4 stripe brown belt. He has received all of his rank from Leonardo Xavier but is no longer a part of the lx association. I believe he is currently trying to start a Gracie academy association. I know that another lx brown belt Blake Hayes (Tulsa) is supposed to look out and help out the Stillwater school but in what capacity I don't know. Good luck at osu!

Thanks! And I have heard good things about the school you are referring to in Edmond and actually have a friend who is planning on starting training there. However I don't think I'm going to be able to make that far of a drive all the time. I'll probably just check out the school in Stillwater and go from there.

Not sure if you can make it to Tulsa but there are a number of good BJJ schools in town. Can't go wrong with Triton, Nogs, or LX. All of these schools have classes taught by Brown Belts.

Wow. Ty has been with him for a good while so that is a bit of a surprise.

There is an active BJJ Group/Club at OSU. Drop Hunter Harris an e-mail.

[email protected]

Hunter received his Blue Belt from Luiz Palhares a couple of years ago is an all around good guy.

Peace,
Zen Mojo

I went to Elite Combat Systems to check out their BJJ a couple of days ago on a Friday evening (8/7/2015). The instructor there is LaDell Elliot and he is a single stripe brown belt under Christian Derr who is a black belt under Jean Jacques Machado. There were 3 purple belts, 7 blue belts and half a dozen white belts. Every single person there had a very good attitude and absolutely no ego. Being a new person in the class I was a little nervous but everyone went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and part of the gym, especially the brown belt LaDell. I've taken BJJ for a few months before but I really enjoyed how he taught as everything was based on a progression and built on a flow which made it easier for me to follow as well as allowing the more advanced belts to work more difficult techniques while the lower belts could still work on the first part of the examples demonstrated. I don't know what the gym was like when LaDell was under the LX association but he had just had Ciao Terra there for a seminar the previous month for the second time in as many years. Terra is very selective about who he does seminars for so this is another positive indication of the caliber of BJJ being practiced at Elite. Obviously his gym and his BJJ program have grown and matured since 2010 and though there are a couple of other places in Stillwater that 'teach' BJJ, Elite Combat Systems is the most legit and have been here the longest. They also do a great job of teaching Jeet Kune Do, Muay Thai, Boxing and Kali/Filipino martial arts. Hope this helps anyone else in Stillwater or coming to Stilly who wants to learn not only BJJ but just about any other legit Martial Art as well.

^ - Great advertisement, not fishy at all. I think I'll join.

but he had just had Ciao Terra there for a seminar the previous month for the second time in as many years. Terra is very selective about who he does seminars for so this is another positive indication of the caliber of BJJ being practiced at Elite.

LOL

LOL Does sound a bit like an advertisement. I've never visited the school but I'll vouch for LaDell that he is a class act and a great instructor. I would definitely visit if I were looking to train in Stillwater.

still water is not okay. it needs to be filtered if used for consumption purposes and can harbor insects and a plethora of microorganisms. i would recommend fresh water for acts of submerged fellatio.

Back