BJJ in South Side of Chicago

N

Nicos111

I'm a student at the University of Chicago, who has been training BJJ in NYC for the last few months 4-5 days a week. However in another month I'm heading back to the South Side. Does anyone know of any semi-reputable BJJ places on the South Side of Chicago (or within 20-30 min of the South Side)?
Unfortunately there is no BJJ club and I'm afraid most everything that I've learned is going to deteriorate before I can return to my dojo in NYC.

Anyone have any advice? I imagine my situation is a fairly common one.

Wow, DragonFire. How thoughtful of you.

I was gonna say my cousin trains at Gracie Barra and is also a white belt. I was gonna suggest you tell him i sent you and he could armbar you real quick.

Depends on if you have a car.

New Breed and Barra, like someone suggested would be like 20 miles & 15 miles respectively. Valko would probably be like 10 miles from you, you could probably take the #6 lakeshore bus up near there, might have to transfer to get exactly there. I guess you could take the red line, too, but I think the red line stop near UChicago is in a shady area- your call.

Another thought would be to take the Metra Electric Line, the end of the line is right across from Millenium Park, there is a station at 59th, 56th, and one right by Regent's Towers, I believe- you might even run into Obama if you go to that station.

Basically, Valko is closest to you, and the others would be inconvenient if you're not driving. I hear UChicago has a decent judo club, so that might be a good bet for you.

The moral of this post is that Hyde Park sucks and you should move to the north side.

I'm a student at the University of Chicago, who has been training BJJ in NYC for the last few months 4-5 days a week. However in another month I'm heading back to the South Side. Does anyone know of any semi-reputable BJJ places on the South Side of Chicago (or within 20-30 min of the South Side)?
Unfortunately there is no BJJ club and I'm afraid most everything that I've learned is going to deteriorate before I can return to my dojo in NYC.

Anyone have any advice? I imagine my situation is a fairly common one.

try chicagoboxingclub.com

I go here it is a small place but we have a pretty good class, couple blue belts and white belts. trainer is a black belt under carlson senior. And if you live by UIC this place is a 5 minute bike ride.

Valko Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy is just outside the loop. Check out our site as we are expanding next week, doubling our classes offered and bringing in Andre 'Negao' Terencio as a our new black belt instructor along side with Jay Valko, who is also a black belt.

+1 for Valko. I have looked into many places, and they are pretty solid. They are also the least expensive place I have found. I will be joining Valko when I move to Chicago in a few days hopefully.

POW is in greektown and should be pretty close to you, but they are fairly expensive and require a one year contract. The instructor there is pretty good. Andre Arlovski trains at POW.

Back