BJJ in Orlando recommendation

deezwho

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi,
I just moved to Orlando and I am coming off a couple year layoff from BJJ. I was a blue belt at a Gracie affiliated school in the Boston area previously.
My new job is going to leave me with week long blocks off ... which I want to be able to maximize my training during those periods (as the other weeks I will be working extra long shifts)

I was wondering if people had recommendations for which school would be good for me in this situation...
Specifically I want to go somewhere that has a lot of classes offered during the week at various times so I can go to maybe 3-4 in a day if I wanted.
Im currently living in downtown/thornton park area and planning on moving to winter park in about a year.
Im 35 so Im looking for somewhere with mostly professional (ie slightly older) crowd.

I was hoping to go to ATT based on what everyone says about it, but I think it's too far away with Orlando traffic.
I think that leaves me with GB Orlando, Fabin Rosa, Alliance/Orlando BJJ (Bruno's school), and the Jungle...
I stopped by the Gracie Barra school and it seems nice but the schedule was mostly loaded towards evening classes and only 1 No Gi class a week. On the plus side the ground floor has AC and they have a weight room upstairs.
Alliance seems to have a good schedule but I havent had a chance to tour it yet, Ive seen others comment in the past that there just werent that many high ranking students there.
Fabin Rosa I havent had a chance to visit yet either (holiday weekend is getting in the way of starting my training) but I havent heard much positive or negative about it.
The Jungle I checked out but just didnt have the right vibe for me. Plus they force you to go on a contract which I am not interested int.

I think Im between Alliance and GB Orlando but would love to hear from others what they think would work well for me...

OP,
They are all good schools. The Jungle is more MMA centric. I trained there once and it was alright. I prefer the Gi.
You can't go wrong with the instruction at the others you've mentioned.

One thing though, I know of one person that GB Orlando didn't accept their Blue belt. Not saying that it'll happen to you.

Alliance has a load of classes on their schedule.

Fabin Rosa's team is really big on competition as well as GB.

If you want to train under one of the greatest of all time, go to Alliance and let Bruno Malfacine show you his tricks. I've been there twice, it's a great school.

Hi guys I'm in the Orlando area and wanted to know the differences in BJJ schools between Fabin Rosa and Gracie Barra North Orlando? Do they both provide old school self defense techniques? example headlock escapes/standup techniques etc? Plus can anyone tell me the differences between schools? Thanks!!

Hi guys I'm in the Orlando area and wanted to know the differences in BJJ schools between Fabin Rosa and Gracie Barra North Orlando? Do they both provide old school self defense techniques? example headlock escapes/standup techniques etc? Plus can anyone tell me the differences between schools? Thanks!!

Just like any other academy there is always some Old school self defense in their curriculum. To what extent, I cant tell you. Just as @Invisible Jiu Jitsu stated, stop in and try them out.

Hi,
I just moved to Orlando and I am coming off a couple year layoff from BJJ. I was a blue belt at a Gracie affiliated school in the Boston area previously.
My new job is going to leave me with week long blocks off ... which I want to be able to maximize my training during those periods (as the other weeks I will be working extra long shifts)

I was wondering if people had recommendations for which school would be good for me in this situation...
Specifically I want to go somewhere that has a lot of classes offered during the week at various times so I can go to maybe 3-4 in a day if I wanted.
Im currently living in downtown/thornton park area and planning on moving to winter park in about a year.
Im 35 so Im looking for somewhere with mostly professional (ie slightly older) crowd.

I was hoping to go to ATT based on what everyone says about it, but I think it's too far away with Orlando traffic.
I think that leaves me with GB Orlando, Fabin Rosa, Alliance/Orlando BJJ (Bruno's school), and the Jungle...
I stopped by the Gracie Barra school and it seems nice but the schedule was mostly loaded towards evening classes and only 1 No Gi class a week. On the plus side the ground floor has AC and they have a weight room upstairs.
Alliance seems to have a good schedule but I havent had a chance to tour it yet, Ive seen others comment in the past that there just werent that many high ranking students there.
Fabin Rosa I havent had a chance to visit yet either (holiday weekend is getting in the way of starting my training) but I havent heard much positive or negative about it.
The Jungle I checked out but just didnt have the right vibe for me. Plus they force you to go on a contract which I am not interested int.

I think Im between Alliance and GB Orlando but would love to hear from others what they think would work well for me...

What was wrong with the Jungle VIBE?

Let me know and if I think you got it wrong I can try to set you straight.

I have been there for 2 years (after a lay of over a decade) and they were super welcoming.

Are you saying they dont let you go on a monthly? Let me know and I can try to speak with Mike Lee about it.

Cheers

OP,
They are all good schools. The Jungle is more MMA centric. I trained there once and it was alright. I prefer the Gi.
You can't go wrong with the instruction at the others you've mentioned.

One thing though, I know of one person that GB Orlando didn't accept their Blue belt. Not saying that it'll happen to you.

Alliance has a load of classes on their schedule.

Fabin Rosa's team is really big on competition as well as GB.

Thats true but I do GI only these days (getting to old for MMA and MT) and am at the jungle, they have like 10 gi classes a week.

If you want to train under one of the greatest of all time, go to Alliance and let Bruno Malfacine show you his tricks. I've been there twice, it's a great school.

iv always wanted t go to brunos i kick myself for not training there back in 2013 2014 but atm just moved to charlotte so got lucas lepri for now

Back