BJJ in Chicago!

Thanks brother! The answer for that question was one of my favorite too!

Exclusive Subculture Kimono Preview - BJJinChicago

I got an exclusive look at the new subculture lightweight gi that's dropping soon.

website-2-300x69.jpg

Check it out!

Exclusive Subculture Kimono Preview - BJJinChicago

Awesome, I'm looking to pick up another lightweight gi and since i'm back in the states now and (part time) in Chicago how can I not have a Subculture in my gi rotation?

Where can I pick one of these up at and do you have any idea of the price or release date?

They should be released in June. Hit up Subculture on facebook or e-mail [email protected] with any questions.

Definitely get one of the greens when they come out. I've never seen anything like them. The red from the last batch is awesome as well. Pants are just as good (if not better) than my atama mundials.

While I appreciate the site, I have to say- I would really appreciate it if you might comment on some issues that you see at any of the schools you attend. All three of the reviews I read were absolutely glowing, without a single drawback except for maybe traffic. I am less likely to look at your site because it comes across as "Hi, I love bjj and am too afraid to say anything negative about anyobdy!" I have attended two of these schools. Jay's place is fantastic, and is likely where I will end up. Pedro's instruction is great, But there is something about the atmosphere there that might turn people off, and you never mentioned it.

My point: more careful scrutiny and less OMG this is awesome!

While I appreciate the site, I have to say- I would really appreciate it if you might comment on some issues that you see at any of the schools you attend. All three of the reviews I read were absolutely glowing, without a single drawback except for maybe traffic. I am less likely to look at your site because it comes across as "Hi, I love bjj and am too afraid to say anything negative about anyobdy!" I have attended two of these schools. Jay's place is fantastic, and is likely where I will end up. Pedro's instruction is great, But there is something about the atmosphere there that might turn people off, and you never mentioned it.

I said this earlier in the thread before he did any reviews that it would be cool if he could be honest in his assesement. I don't think any bjj school is perfect.

Dragonfire is in a bad spot to say anything negative about any of the acadamies. BJJ is a small community and he is from the area, so if he says anything negative he is going to get black balled by alot of schools. I don't blame him for playing the politically correct role in his situation.

thanks to you all for continuing to check out the site. Don't forget to sign up for the mailing list! We already have our 100 fans on facebook. Just gotta match that number for the mailing list and we'll be giving our t-shirts and *gasp* a gi??!?!

Last edited:
Pedro's instruction is great, But there is something about the atmosphere there that might turn people off, and you never mentioned it.

Something about the atmosphere that might turn off certain people.How ….relative.

Maybe he didn’t mention it because he didn’t notice it. Although I do agree that the reports on each schools would probably be better labeled as reports or something else rather than reviews. Its difficult to be critical of anything since the Chicago BJJ scene is like a plate at thanksgiving when each item kind of nudges over and mixes with everything else. Most schools popped from GB or Carlsons.

Yeah, it's definitely a tough spot for Dragon. I suggested a few pages ago some kind of number ranking system for different elements of each school, but even that would be tough. Either way, I think the site is great and I thing the interviews will help students get a better feel for the instructors.

Thanks again Jay for doing the interview. As always, I really value your input!!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's definitely a tough spot for Dragon. I suggested a few pages ago some kind of number ranking system for different elements of each school, but even that would be tough. Either way, I think the site is great and I thing the interviews will help students get a better feel for the instructors.

Your explanation of promoting was awesome, as a matter of fact your whole interview was awesome. You really hit it on the money when you said some guys are bjj encyclopedia's yet have trouble putting those moves to work in a live situation.

Also many people put too much of a stock in belts I feel. Jay would you agree or disagree that a bluebelt mundials champ would beat a good amount of recreational brownbelts? You don't have to answer, but I love getting a blackbelts perspective on these things.

I also wanted to add that I think it's a pretty pathetic move to be invited into somebody's academy, be treated to an amazing class (for free), asked to roll, and treated as if I were one of their own students, and then go on the internet (of all things) and attack them. If you want to visit every academy, and do your own criticisms of them and write the negatives about each, then have at it champ.

I am not a black belt, nor do I have the ability to open my own academy. So who am I to criticize what they are doing?

You bring up plenty of good points. I think the job you are doing is awesome. Your reviews are awesome and I really like the interviews with Valko, and vives. It would be nice to get interviews of all the blackbelts in Chicago.

I personally would find it very cool to talk to some of the area blackbelts about bjj. I could probably talk about bjj for hours with these guys. lol

I am sure you will like every academy in the Chicago area that you visit. Some you will like more than others, but every bjj school has something good to offer.

Your reviews of the schools are great and so are the interviews, keep up the good work

Last edited:
Yes, I think there are plenty of good blues that can beat browns. I have a couple blues right now that I'd happily put against brown or blacks in competition (no gi) due to their wrestling backgrounds and the speed in which they are learning bjj. With the gi it takes a bit longer to close the gap.

There's also some awesome purple belts out there.

Lots of love for the interviews so far. It's great to get to know people who you might otherwise never talk to.

I really enjoyed the opening at Mota Martial Arts this morning. Right now I'm exhausted because I trained there, then left to train at the Torres open mat so I'm beat.

Dropping this week we have the Serafin BJJ review and coverage of the opening!!

I also wanted to add that I think it's a pretty pathetic move to be invited into somebody's academy, be treated to an amazing class (for free), asked to roll, and treated as if I were one of their own students, and then go on the internet (of all things) and attack them. If you want to visit every academy, and do your own criticisms of them and write the negatives about each, then have at it champ.

I am not a black belt, nor do I have the ability to open my own academy. So who am I to criticize what they are doing?

I saw this quote and felt compelled to respond. First, if I came across like an ass, I apologize. My intent wasn't to attack your venture here. What you are doing is a good thing. I just wanted to provide some outside perspective.

1. Reviewing a bjj school is just that: a review. The schools should be prepared to accept criticism. Criticism is a good thing when done respectfully, by the way. It helps the owners to improve their business.

2. The fact that you aren't a black belt doesn't mean you cannot provide critiques. To assume that you must have one to voice an opinion is absolutely silly. I am a blue belt, and am very forward with people if I see an issue. As long as I am polite about it, who cares? Seriously, they are black belts, not jesus.

3. As to who you are: you are a person writing reviews on schools. Therefore, critiques are reasonable.

The best instructors in the area are the ones who want to hear other people's input. They don't have all the answers, guys. That is why some mention of perceived issues can be helpful.

I totally agree with this. A review site with only positive reviews doesn't really help or interest me. I know its a tough position to be in, but it comes with doing reviews.

Thanks for the feedback! Don't forget to also check out:

Tournament listings
Seminar listings
Interviews
Open Mat times
BJJ Map
Academy website links
Free mailing list with giveaways
Facebook page

Thanks again!

Back