BJJ in Chicago!

Incredible website, keep up the good work Dragon.

Personally I am a fan of Jeff Neal and his staff.

He was the instructor in my very first class at the Carlson Gracie school at the Fitplex in Chicago back in 2005. Man I got smoked at that place.

Right on. Definitely check out Valko and Carlson's. Read my review on them or check out Jay's facebook page as well. He posts a ton of stuff on there (and he's pretty cool).

Right on. Definitely check out Valko and Carlson's. Read my review on them or check out Jay's facebook page as well. He posts a ton of stuff on there (and he's pretty cool).

yeah for sure, your site has been a great help. Appreciate it.

not that it'll help much, but in the next month I'll have more from Subculture Gis (get one while you're here FOR SURE), and reviews of mota martial arts and serafin bjj.

not that it'll help much, but in the next month I'll have more from Subculture Gis (get one while you're here FOR SURE), and reviews of mota martial arts and serafin bjj.

yeah I was thinking about Mota, lower price as well but I'm leaning towards Valko due to the wrestling and Judo classes on top of bjj. What's the deal with subculture gis? Is that a small line based out of Chicago? I remember reading something about it in your review. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and go to NAGA's website or the ibjjf website and look at the pictures from their Chicago tournament. Everybody has one around here.

They are top of the line, good price, every cool color, and only getting better. I wouldn't say they are necessarily small because they're huge in our region. But definitely not a global brand (yet?).

I don't know man. The best part of this city is the choices. Definitely don't decide before you get here. Go check out Mota, Valko, Carlsons, etc. and see what is best for you personally. Like I said, I'll be reviewing Mota soon and Carlson Gracie this summer, and have already been to Valko's.

I will say that the wrestling and judo at Valko is top notch. Not to say that anywhere else is inferior, but Valko is the real deal.

Just wanted to give people on here a heads up that the site has been down for a day or two. I've moved to a self-hosted version instead of staying on wordpress. It should be up and working in a few days. Just spent all morning trying to get the mailing list working. If you're interested, you can check out the progress here: bjjinchicago ? Just another WordPress site

When it's ready, it'll be back up and I'll let everybody know.

Lookin good man. A heads up, you want to install Wordpress in the main directory level, that way the url will just be bjjinchicago.com, not bjjinchicago.com/wordpress. Hostgator customer support can probably give you a hand with it, they are really good about that stuff.

URL(s) fixed.

Mailing List fixed.

Upcoming awesomeness:

• Jeff Serafin videos (amazing stuff on the omoplata)
  • Serafin BJJ academy review
  • New Breed BJJ Open mat review
  • Mark Vives (New Breed BJJ) interview
  • Andrew Smith (US Grappling) interview
  • Jeff Serafin (Serafin BJJ) interview
  • A new contest for mailing list subscribers only starting in June!!

Mark Vives (New Breed BJJ) Interview – Part 1 ? BJJinChicago

In this interview Mark talks about self-defense, ego , nerves, and time travel. In our second part, we'll talk about promotions, sponsorships, teaching bjj, tapping, and training.

197120_10150103689632312_663957311_7006521_3299730_n.jpg

Mark Vives (New Breed BJJ) Interview – Part 1 ? BJJinChicago

Last edited:
Upcoming Events
June 11th - Mota Martial Arts Grand Opening
June 16th – Gracie Barra Chicago Visit

all coming soon!!
Serafin BJJ Review
Subculture Preview
Mailing List Giveaway
Jay Valko Interview
Andrew Smith Interview
Mark Vives Interview (Part 2)

Part 2 of Mark's interview is up!! Jay Valko's is on the horizon!

In the second half, we talk about promotions, sponsorships, teaching bjj, tapping, and the best people he's ever rolled with.

Mark Vives (New Breed BJJ) Interview - Part 2 - BJJinChicago

Let me know if there's anybody else in the region that you'd like to see interviewed!!

Enjoy!​

Great interview with Vives. I especially liked the 2nd part of his interview with regards to comps and promotion. It was also pretty cool to name the top 5 guys he has rolled with.

Keep up the good work. Your website is awesome.

Back