BJJ in Chicago!

Everyone I have talked to has said the same about Mark Vives. The guy is passionate about bjj. He is always spending extra time with his students trying to help there game out. He is also a very good blackbelt with a very good competition team. What really impressed me about some of his students at Comps is when you turtle up on them they make you pay instantly.

They are a great group up there at New Breed. First time I went to their open mat given their competition success I expected arrogant very serious guys . They were the exact opposite.they were extremely helpful very friendly and just passionate about the sport.

Brendan -

Thanks for the great review. You (as well as everyone else) are always welcome to stop in. We've got something for everyone now with even more things on the way.

You still have to stop in and actually take some footage and pictures this time, lol.

Seriously though, it was great having you up and I hope you can make it up again. I'm sure rush hour traffic killed you that day so please by all means come up on a Saturday, Sunday, or any of our day/morning classes to roll if you'd like!

Thanks again... and keep flexing.

When I'm on my big tour this summer, I'll stop in for a full day of classes.

Congrats to your guys for their success as US Grappling. When Elvis beat that behemoth (who was totally on the bananas and yogurt), we all went nuts. It was great to see Carlo and Vince in action as well.

Thanks again for having me up!

Awesome review of New Breed! I'll have to be honest, if I didn't live so far away, I probably would've started at New Breed when I initially started BJJ a few years ago, I just had to commute for work and there was no way I could've made it from the city out to their old location in time for classes.

Props to Mark V. as well, from what I've heard an amazing teacher, and a fellow flip, with a BJJ black belt on top of that! Great stuff!

BJJ in Chicago! | Covering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Chicago and Northwest Indiana
Coming Soon! | BJJ in Chicago!

I want to first thank everybody who continues to check the blog day after day. My New Breed academy review brought me to the highest total ever for the site.

Over 550 views in a single day.

This is amazing and I have only you to thank.

I have a few things coming up that we should start getting excited about!!!!

jumping_man_excited.332122530_std.jpg

^Well… maybe not that excited

Check the links above or below to see what we have coming up!!
Coming Soon! | BJJ in Chicago!

Sweet...

Where can we vote on where you review next?

I want to put down LCCT (Luiz Claudio Combat Team) at Monkey Bar gym. Highly, highly recommended.

great interview with mitria. he's a great guy and he started subculture for all the right reasons. i wear subculture at every tournament to support a great product and a friend.

Sweet...

Where can we vote on where you review next?

I want to put down LCCT (Luiz Claudio Combat Team) at Monkey Bar gym. Highly, highly recommended.

ill definitely have it in there. all of the academies on my list that i haven't visited will be. i saw one of their white belts almost hit a SICK flying armbar and really dominate until he hurt his knee at the last US Grappling (I think).

great interview with mitria. he's a great guy and he started subculture for all the right reasons. i wear subculture at every tournament to support a great product and a friend.

About freaking time you posted in here! Seriously though, thanks a lot for reading the article. I look forward to picking up whatever gi he's releasing for the holidays (but wouldn't tell me about) and a charcoal soon. I'm down to one decent gi, one small gi, and one ripped to shreds gi.

Thanks again for reading and if you have anything you'd like to see on the blog, or recommendations on where I should visit, let me know!

Open Mat times!! | BJJ in Chicago!

1.1. There's an awesome widget on the right side of an interactive map of all of the bjj gyms in the Chicago area. It's awesome so get on that.

2. I did some digging and put together as comprehensive a list as I could of all of the Open Mat times for academies in our area. This is not to say that there are not other open mat times at other academies, they just do not have them listed on their website.

Check the links above and below for the complete list. Check again in a few days as I hope that I will update it with those schools who have not listed them on their websites!!

Open Mat times!! | BJJ in Chicago!

Where should I visit next??? (part deux) | BJJ in Chicago!

thumbnail.aspx

So the site is awesome. I know. But, the most important part of the site is still the tournaments and the gyms. While I have my own personal list of gyms that I'm really excited to visit (uhm.. all of them?), I want to know what you guys want to see first!!

I've created a new poll with a bit of a tropical theme. I know it's not summer yet (season pusher), but I'm so sick of it being cold here (aren't we all? stop whining sissy).

Make sure to vote for your academy or a friend's and I hope we'll have even more votes than ever before!!

Check it out!

Where should I visit next??? (part deux) | BJJ in Chicago!

Killer idea for a website. I'd love to see someone do this in Florida/San Diego/OC etc. All of the major BJJ spots in the US.

please review 021!! I'll be there this summer and I believe that is actually the closest one to Loyola Watertower campus. So far i'm thinking Valko.

I definitely will. Though I have already been to Valko BJJ and if you have the chance to train there, you need to. Seriously.

I'll be checking out the academies the othe order they end up on the poll so it may be a bit before i get to 021. I was really surprised at who had domianted so far.

Only 5 more votes to go before I close the poll!​

Back