BJJ in Chicago!

What is the best way to get in touch with your instructors to see if that would be okay??

The best way to get in contact with GB Chicago is to call the school. The best time to call the school is Monday through friday 1030-1230 am.530-9PM monday through friday. The person to ask for is Adem Redzovic, leave a a message and he will get back to you. Adem is probably one of the nicest guys in the bjj community in Chicago or anywere for that matter. I am positive he will welcome you with open arms. Hell you could probably even get an interview from him, if that is what your looking for.

I know it's common, I just prefer that a bjj gym is not located in a gym/fitness complex. I know that it does not have anything to do with quality or instruction of the school. Is Carlson's located in a gym/fitness complex?

Yea, we’re in Fitness Formula Club at the moment. Things may change this summer. I agree that I’d rather the school be its own entity but lots of people like that you can spend 15-20 extra bucks a month and use all the FFC cardio/weights and such. And the locker rooms are nice.

Edit: And Thumbs up to Adem Redzovic being a real nice guy. When I was in college, I did the GB self-defense and beginner’s stuff at GB. Nice guy and knowledgeable instructor. And thumbs up to Idiriz(sp?) beating the fake brown belt from Texas at the Chicago Open.

Last edited:
When we moved to HiFi we rented space right in the open. After a few classes though people came to see it as a positive. There's a lot of energy in the air when you have that much open space and people working out around you.

This is absolutely true. I'll have to add it in as part of the review. The energy is really high with that many people watching.

My biggest problem now is the guys getting distracted by all the pretty girls who are working out when we're training.

Quoted for truth.

The best way to get in contact with GB Chicago is to call the school. The best time to call the school is Monday through friday 1030-1230 am.530-9PM monday through friday. The person to ask for is Adem Redzovic, leave a a message and he will get back to you. Adem is probably one of the nicest guys in the bjj community in Chicago or anywere for that matter. I am positive he will welcome you with open arms. Hell you could probably even get an interview from him, if that is what your looking for.

Right on. I'll definitely do that. Over the summer, I plan to visit 1-2 gyms per week and get solid info on all of the main gyms.

Thanks for putting the website all together Team Dragonfire, its great to finally have a place that consolidates all the BJJ information for Chicago and its outlying areas. Its also a cool place to find out who's having a seminar or what competitions are coming up. You should maybe start a facebook page so that people who aren't on sherdog will find out about it and start using it.

Definitely let me know when you come to Gracie Barra Chicago, itd be great to meet some fellow sherdoggers in person!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I wish I could get advanced notice of when seminars are happening. i seem to find out super last minute. i found out last minute that samuel braga was in town and about the clark gracie seminars as well... hmm...

Chicago/IL had some good results in the black belt divisions so far at the pan-ams.

Jack McVickers- First place black senior 1 lightweight
Jonates Noveas- second place black master medium
Leo Valdes- Third place black senior 1 ultraheavy

Shoutout to Mark Vives and Daniel Wanderley(i think?) who also went out there to compete! Sorry if I missed anyone. Those are all the names I saw that I recognized from around here.

Very happy for Leo and Jonates, both coaches of mine

I agree. We're fortunate to have that many great guys in our city.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I wish I could get advanced notice of when seminars are happening. i seem to find out super last minute. i found out last minute that samuel braga was in town and about the clark gracie seminars as well... hmm...

LOL funny story. There's a guy at our gym who's a reaaaaally solid featherweight blue belt, really nice guy, we'll refer to him just for this story as Sandwich.

Anyway the Sandwich shows up to no gi class and starts grappling with a guy who had just stopped by to train this past Friday. The new guy absolutely MAULS him. Not in a submit him ever 15 seconds kind of way, but everything the Sandwich did, the visiting guy was a complete ghost, and always took his back, in EVERY position.

The Sandwich was needless to say amazed. It wasn't until after the class that our teacher finally told the Sandwich that he had been rolling with none other than 6 time world champion Samuel Braga. We all got a good laugh after that because the Sandwich had NOOOO IDEA who the guy was as he doesn't watch videos of tourneys and such and Professor Samuel was not wearing a belt.

:)

Oh and I'll definitely message you when we have seminars so that we can get the word out to peeps outside of GB.

LOL funny story. There's a guy at our gym who's a reaaaaally solid featherweight blue belt, really nice guy, we'll refer to him just for this story as Sandwich.

Anyway the Sandwich shows up to no gi class and starts grappling with a guy who had just stopped by to train this past Friday. The new guy absolutely MAULS him. Not in a submit him ever 15 seconds kind of way, but everything the Sandwich did, the visiting guy was a complete ghost, and always took his back, in EVERY position.

The Sandwich was needless to say amazed. It wasn't until after the class that our teacher finally told the Sandwich that he had been rolling with none other than 6 time world champion Samuel Braga. We all got a good laugh after that because the Sandwich had NOOOO IDEA who the guy was as he doesn't watch videos of tourneys and such and Professor Samuel was not wearing a belt.

Oh and I'll definitely message you when we have seminars so that we can get the word out to peeps outside of GB.

lol, awesome story

1. I would REALLY appreciate it! You guys have a tremendous amount of talent on your team and I definitely understand wanting to keep things in house. But, if you ever want to get the word out, let me know!

2. That story is hilarious. And awesome.

Hey guys,

I caught word from my buddy Mark Braceros (MBGracieBarra) that everyone is welcome to attend a seminar they are having next week with Gustavo "Siri" Pires. He's the black belt that won his weight and absolute at the Chicago open. He'll be teaching some stuff for both closed and open guard on the 13th of april from 6-730 (closed guard), 730-9 (open guard).

186718_621236582_6191474_n.jpg

Space is limited, and I'm not sure what the cost for non members are but its 60 for both sessions for GB guys (maybe it will be the same but I don't know). Just call the GB Chicago office for more info! ((773) 334-5189).

When I first saw his name in my inbox from Mark, I thought... hmm... I know him from somewhere. Then I looked back at my older posts and realized that he was the one who DESTROYED at the Chicago Open. I'll repost the vids because they are SICK!

HUGE thanks to Mark and Adem Redzovic for opening this up to everybody!

Last edited:
Cool thread.

Have you made plans to visit Pete the Greek at Rio Jiu Jitsu Academy?

Let me know when you come by and I'll be sure to be there.

I do plan to in the future. I'll have to put up a new poll and see where people want me to go next!!

Anyone know more upcoming seminars? I'd love to make the Gustavo Pires one but no can do since its on a wednesday.

I'd really appreciate that Mick.

And Equipe, I know you guys have a lot of people come through the Brasa gyms in the area. Please let us know when people are coming in!! The Felipe Costa seminar I did up north was the best I've ever been to.

Got the review of New Breed and US Grappling and an interview with Nick Mitria (of Subculture gis) coming up soon!

71135_106714539397004_2256814_n.jpg
chicago-20111-150x150.jpg

BLU-1.jpg

Been really sick but appreciate you all keeping up with the site despite the inconsistency with the content!

Also, glad to hear the Pires seminar went so well!!​

BJJ in Chicago! | Covering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Chicago and Northwest Indiana
Interview with Nick Mitria of Subculture! | BJJ in Chicago!

72519_440626429542_150002744542_5283524_4295738_n.jpg

When I went up to visit New Breed BJJ, I had the chance to sit down with Nick Mitria, the owner of Subculture. You’ve probably seen his gis at every single tournament and in every single gym in the Chicago area.

16559_182485169279_505614279_2732175_3666301_n.jpg

I really wanted to interview Nick because I think that I am the only person at my academy who doesn’t own a Subculture gi. Thankfully, he had a while to sit down for an interview. Thanks again Nick!

Interview with Nick Mitria of Subculture! | BJJ in Chicago!

Back